Pro Wrestling Only

Best TV Match Wrestlers

elliott

I thought about mentioning Buddy Rose but I didn't on purpose. Technically, yes. He absolutely belongs and is probably #1. But he was usually working super long tv main events every week which were major matches in his territory. I can't explain it but it feels weird to have him in the discussion. Probably because I think the Portland house show main events that Buddy and Piper worked probably looked like the TV main events that Buddy and Piper worked together. Bill Dundee worked differently in the studio than he did in the MSC.

But yeah. Buddy Rose was awesome on TV.

Rey is my pick, and I don't think it's close. He was a guy you could plug in against almost anyone, on any level show (A show, B show, syndicated t.v., WWE C-shows, et.) and you would get something fun 99% of the time. It didn't matter if he was working a hoss, a mid-card technician, a main eventer, a tag worker, a luchador, et. and it didn't matter how much time you gave him - he was going to work hard and give you something entertaining at minimum. I doubt very seriously that there is any wrestler in history who has more good t.v. matches than Rey as his run of greatness in this regard started with the Monday Night Wars and went straight into the (continuing) over saturation years with the WWE. It would probably be feasible for me to come up with 100 guys Rey has had t.v. matches with that I thought were good which is pretty astounding.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think Diamond Dallas Page, Rey Mysterio Jr., and Dean Malenko were the best TV workers of the Monday Night Wars. DDP got over from having entertaining matches with everyone on the roster, and finding a new way to hit the Diamond Cutter. His matches were always a topic of conversation during me and my friends Tuesday morning wrestling conversations. Dean Malenko was another guy who could work with everyone on the roster and have an entertaining match. His style doesn't hold up as well as Rey's, but he was just as instrumental in the success of the cruiserweight division as Rey. His style let everyone get their moves in while holding the match together so it didn't turn into a spot fest. Rey Mysterio Jr. could be argued as the best wrestler of the last 20 years. He delivered no matter where he was on the card. He was as great in the six minute opening television match as he was in the 20 minute main event. He worked a style that was almost totally unique in that it was fast paced and high flying, but could adapt to any opponent. Most of the guys who work that high flying style have a fairly low ceiling that doesn't translate when pushed up the card, but Rey could make it work with everyone. I think the most underrated part of WCWs domination during the Monday Night Wars was that they had matches people wanted to watch every week. Me and my friends talked about Mysterio, Malenko, DDP, Eddy, and Benoit, just as much if not more than the NWO. They won't get the credit, but they were a huge part of their success.