Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Talk October 12 to October 18

Grimmas

• This crowd is the dirt worst. Hey, Chicago: it was Punk who was over, not you.
  • That Roman promo was odd, but not nearly as bad as people have been saying online. He's in a strange place where they seem to be giving him way more rope than everyone else, as in all the cursing and direct response to the crowd. If this is a political hit, who's pulling the strings? On paper everyone equipped to do such things love him. I see no Anti-Castro Cubans hiding behind the fence.
  • Everyone's throwing the mics down tonight at the end of the promos. It's like they're all so done with the verbiage they're delivering that they can't wait to get it over with. If this is the write-off of Summer, it's a shame as she more than earned her keep in this feud.
  • Killing the Ru-Ru storyline over TMZ seems really petty/wasteful/lame, but let Vince's spiteful burial of the guy marrying his next blonde harassment suit begin.
  • For the second week running, Owens squashing a Lucha Dragon in three minutes is the best match on the show.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I guess we have forgotten that Brock was a world champion for about 6 months and maybe wrestled 3 times in that time period

Difference is that Cena's whole reign with the title has revolved around what a fighting champion he is, and how he'll defend the belt on a weekly basis. If he suddenly ups and leaves for a few months with the belt, it negates all that he's said.

I didn't see RAW but saw mentions of Rusev apparently getting punished for the whole engagement thing. How did that manifest itself? did he get jobbed out or something?

if he is indeed getting punished then it's really absurd. On the one hand I can see how it's maybe not smart to tweet about that given the timing. But on the other hand the company is so frigging inconsistent with their social media policies. Nobody is ever really fully "in kayfabe" or "out of kayfabe" on twitter so i can't blame the talent for not knowing where to draw the line. When you have Stephanie acting like an evil heel on RAW and then tweeting about philanthropy on the same day then how can you really blame Rusev and Lana for keeping it real on Twitter as well. I mean New Day and friends have their own video game web series, the heels are always participating in charity work, etc. Now suddenly the company cares about kayfabe on twitter? it's just such a bullshit double standard.

He got practically zero offense in losing to Ryback, then Summer verbally berated him after the match and slapped his face while he just stood there like a bump on a log. If they weren't punishing the guy, they certainly seemed to go out of their way to make it appear they were.

Yeah, Ryback pinned him clean in the middle with the Shellshock in about three minutes. Then the Summer stuff happened. Then he was a lumberjack in the main event with the likes of guys like Jack Swagger. Where the only people that stood out were Big Show and New Day.

Seth Vs. Kane main event where Kane goes over and Big Show looks the best. In 2015. Seems legit.

I wonder if Lana being positioned as the next Sunny/Sable "#1 Hot Chick" then suddenly not when Vince quote-unquote lost interest in her. I don't want to be all conspiracy theory here but it wouldn't shock me if there was some sort of proposition made that when turned down led to Lana in 80s music video denim outfits and punishments when they had the nerve to get engaged despite the "break up in kayfabe, break up for real" unofficial rule in wrestling.

I dunno, I got a weird feeling Rusev is gonna come out of this thing just fine and possibly as a babyface. Don't really have the mechanics of it figured out in my head yet but I think the casuals are catching on to just how awesome this guy is.

He's my early, early pick to win the Rumble.

Some thoughts on RAW...

* Liked the opening segment. When it comes to promos, Ambrose is effortlessly charismatic and enjoyable when he isn't burdened with selling Wyatt's meaningless drivel or having to counterbalance Reigns' awkwardness. Similarly, when Orton goes out and just has fun, he comes off as likable. It was nothing special from either guy, but it was also kept short, made perfect sense from a character perspective, and led to New Day. Anything that leads to New Day is solid right now.

* Liked the tag match too, especially the finish. Way better than any of the New Day/Dudleys matches we've seen thanks to a faster pace and a crowd that cared about all five performers.

* Cena/Ziggler was good, not great. I'm not as down on Ziggler as others around here and think he was actually his "best self" here. Sure, he was going from overselling to no-selling in the blink of an eye, but he was doing it in the confines of a straight-up singles match and, compared to recent Cena/Owens or Cena/Rollins, it wasn't like they were hitting nothing but finishers out there. In this context, with this sort of escalation of big moves, I was able to buy into the comebacks. In a ladder match where Ziggler is taking "He Should Be Dead!" bumps, for example, him springing back to life every couple minutes is much more annoying. Like the tag match, the right man won too.

* Wish they weren't positioning Sasha as a face, but not worried about it. She's getting cheered now, getting over, but, in due time, when the Divas Revolution storyline wraps up, she's good enough to establish the Boss character as it should be. It won't be hard either as there is still plenty of good will to milk out of Charlotte's heritage and Becky Lynch being the "steampunk geek girl next door."

* Man…not a fun night for Roman Reigns or Bray Wyatt. Still don't think it means that much in the long run as Reigns doesn't draw that kind of reaction every night in every town, but the clock is ticking on what I assumed the plan was (heating Reigns up for another Rumble win and WrestleMania main event). Wyatt getting "Husky Harris" chants in one city on one night is also not a huge deal…but, to me, the takeaway is that these two need separated STAT. The good news is that Hell in the Cell is going to be the blow-off. The bad news is that its a month late and neither side is coming out of this feud looking better for it.

* Who would've thought that, out of Lana, Rusev, Ziggler, and Summer Rae, it is Summer Rae who is coming out of this months-long storyline smelling like money? I don't even think its so much that Rae has improved her character work by leaps and bounds as much as its Rusev being practically castrated from a win/loss perspective, Lana being pulled off TV without a trace (to the point that fans have almost forgotten her), and Ziggler being on the same hamster wheel he's been on for years (which only hurts Rusev for not being able to beat him). Only Summer Rae has momentum coming out of this clusterfuck of an angle.

* Don't even know what to say about the main event. Is Kane/Rollins confirmed for Hell in a Cell? Will it even be for the title when Kane has shown no interest in that? Am I crazy or was there some foreshadowing of Kane/Big Show feud Version 489? I was on board with this feud when it was about Rollins escaping Kane, the ultra cheesy demonic psycho, chasing him every week. Weeks later, Kane has destroyed Rollins at every turn, the villain has gotten his comeuppance numerous times, and I no longer care.

Then he was a lumberjack in the main event with the likes of guys like Jack Swagger. Where the only people that stood out were Big Show and New Day.

I hope someday we get a leak of the lumberjack pecking order. There's gotta be a backstage printed list somewhere. Like who is exempt from jobberjack duty. Also along the lines would be all the midcarders who the Authority wrangled in a room in preparation to break up the Taker and Brock fight from a few months ago.

The combination of NFL football and baseball playoffs, combined with a less-than-interesting product in recent weeks, saw Raw fall to a new non-holiday low of 3.27 million viewers last night. The only episode of the show since 1997 that did worse was a Christmas Eve show in 2012 that did 3.14 million viewers.
The main culprit was the combination of a Pittsburgh Steelers vs. San Diego Chargers game on ESPN that did 12.18 million viewers, a lower number than football has done the last few weeks, and baseball. TBS aired the Chicago Cubs vs. St. Louis Cardinals against the first half of Raw, which did 5.78 million viewers. They aired the Los Angeles Dodgers vs. New York Mets against the second half of Raw, which did 3.96 million viewers.
The three hours were:
8 p.m. 3.52 million viewers
9 p.m. 3.25 million viewers
10 p.m. 3.08 million viewers
A sub-3 million hour is coming.

WWE Studios will co-develop the George Raymond Wagner biopic “Gorgeous George” alongside Robert Halmi Jr.’s Great Point Media, with Josh Gad and partner Ryan Dixon writing the script.

“Gorgeous George” will chronicle the life and career of Wagner, the professional wrestler and sports entertainer credited with inspiring the flamboyant personas of performers such as Muhammad Ali and James Brown and helping bring sports into the TV age.

“Gorgeous George was a true pioneer in television,” said Michael Luisi, President of WWE Studios. “Josh is a true talent and we are thrilled to see him and Ryan tackle such a groundbreaking story.”

Gad recently wrapped production on the Disney film “Beauty And The Beast” opposite Emma Watson and Luke Evans. He will begin production in January on STX Entertainment’s “Russ And Roger Go Beyond” as Roger Ebert.

WWE Studios will handle worldwide rights and will use WWE’s platforms, including weekly TV shows, digital and social media and the WWE Network, to market this title.

Gad is represented by Ziffren Brittenham, WME and Brillstein Entertainment Partners. Dixon is represented by Ziffren Brittenham and ICM Partners. Bradley Buchanan negotiated on behalf of WWE Studios.

The main culprit is not football or baseball, because those happen every year. The main culprit is the staleness of the show and some horrible booking.

Yeah, I have never been a fan of the football talking points. WWE had great ratings 98-2000 and football was still a thing at that point. It really comes down to interest.

Wow, Nia Jax is a big girl. Wasn't really expecting that from her vignettes. Didn't somebody just bring up how cool it would be to have a monster in the NXT Women's division for Bayley to work? This could be really good :)

Watching NXT this week. Bayley has Emma, Alexis Bliss, Donna Blake, Nia Jax and Asuka all as future matches that could be from entertaining to great.

Jax vs Bayley is a match I can't wait for!