Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Talk October 12 to October 18

Grimmas

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NXT this week was solid, but two things stood out to me that seem "out of character" for WWE:

1. Nia Jax was announced as being from San Diego, California. Maybe she is? But that's also Bayley's hometown. Unless they're planning to do a feud incorporating that, I found it strange because WWE usually goes to great lengths to differentiate everyone.

2. The happy-go-lucky jobber named Evie, when there's already an Eva Marie. Again, WWE is usually proactive about making sure there are wide differences when it comes to character names (e.g. Lance Cade becoming Garrison Cade because Lance Storm was already on the roster). Granted, Evie will probably be repackaged and given a name change if/when the time comes for a push.

Those aren't criticisms, BTW, of what was a very fun show - just observations.

I also LOVED the yellow and pink ropes. Gave it a really colorful Ultimate Warrior vibe. I kinda hope NXT keeps that aesthetic, even if it's under the false pretense of honoring Susan G. Komen all year long instead of for one specific month.

Bayley's from San Jose.

My bad, hahaha. But I can hear Vince going, "Tooooo many Sans, DAMN IT!"

The happy-go-lucky jobber named Evie

That's the name she uses on the indys. Similar deal to Gargano and Ciampa, where they are probably just taking a look at her.

Makes sense. Same situation with Billie Kay, or is she already signed? I think she has potential.

Well, and also the general trend of ratings declines due to more and more people watching TV in alternative ways

This is a great point. People are "cutting the cord" in record numbers. I'm actually considering doing so, myself.

Zellner brings this up on the Reaction shows a lot but I am not just looking at RAW numbers but the actual percentage of viewers who are actually watching. So the number in viewership is down but the percentage of people who are watching is also down.

Well, and also the general trend of ratings declines due to more and more people watching TV in alternative ways

This is a great point. People are "cutting the cord" in record numbers. I'm actually considering doing so, myself.
Yeah, my wife and I cut the cord in February and haven't looked back. Hulu has the 90 minute Raw (not that I watch it, but Johnny swears by it) the day after, in addition to the Network of course. Add in Netflix, Rdio, and Amazon, with the convenience of watching what you want when you want, and it's the best decision we ever made. If I want to watch sports I just stream from First Row Sports or watch at a bar with friends

There have to be ways to send the crowd home happy without pinning the champ clean. I get that house show results aren't supposed to matter these days, but that's still an absurd record for a champ to have, considering he ate clean pins in a lot of those matches.

What's Roman doing anyway? Headlining the b-circuit house shows?

This is why I'm more inclined to side with Will's ongoing argument about them needing a babyface champ up top. I guess (essentially) they've got that with Cena and the US Championship - at least in how it's been presented recently. But that's obviously about to change with Cena's absence for awhile.

As someone that routinely makes the house shows with my nephew and/or grandfather when they come to town, I side with Johnny about the shows being WAY more light-hearted and casual in nature. And I dig that. I wouldn't want that to change. The atmosphere, the experience, and the vibe is totally different from a TV taping. There's a reason I haven't attended a RAW since 2002, but I've made trips to house shows at least about twice a year ever since. It's just a different beast.

Fans generally want to end the night on a high note. Let them leave happy & satisfied. They typically don't want to walk away with that old, tired "NWA traveling champ sneaks away with the belt" bullshit. It's dated and stale, but the REAL issue is that they've failed to establish any sort of faith or goodwill with their fanbase in regards to paying it off properly. The payoff never seems to materialize.

In fact, they've mostly gone the OPPOSITE path and shown that they deliberately DO NOT follow through on stipulations, significant consequences, etc. The old heel champ squeaking through a reign on luck and circumstance only functions properly when you pay it off, have the babyface eventually deliver his comeuppance, and actually follow through with the good guy getting his moment in the sun. They just don't do things that way enough anymore. It's not so much a "chase" anymore as it is a constant trolling of the audience. It's such a strange, bizarre approach to booking.

But if it's something they are going to do - then I'd rather see them nestle in somewhere lower down the card - that way the last match can wrap up with a babyface thwarting a heel of some sort.

But then people would be complaining that the heel champ isn't being booked in the last match. So it's lose/lose in a lot of ways.

Don't get me wrong. I can get on board for a fun heel run with the main title. But this isn't that. It hasn't been booked that way since day one. I find nothing about the Rollins' reign enthralling or entertaining. It's had brief spurts & moments of neatness, but they fade quickly & abruptly. He's booked like a perfectly passable pest & scummy, ratty coward at times - but I've never got the sense that he "belongs" in the spot.

Even when they've had opportunities to present him as someone legitimately dangerous or capable - like with the knee to Cena's face or the defense against Brock - they didn't follow through and instead went with presenting him as this outmatched, incapable competitor.

At this point, I'm not at all surprised that they're booking him to lose 15 "non-title" matches on every 30 day loop.

There have to be ways to send the crowd home happy without pinning the champ clean. I get that house show results aren't supposed to matter these days, but that's still an absurd record for a champ to have, considering he ate clean pins in a lot of those matches.

Indeed.

He's won 2 televised matches since the beginning of September, beating Sting at Night of Champions after losing to Cena and beating Ryback on Smackdown after losing to Ryback on Raw.

Gotta be on Team Johnny for this one, I feel my eyes just start to roll back into my head whenever I start reading people complain about Seth Rollins not being 'KEPT STRONG~!' as if him being a coward hiding behind The Authority hasn't been his character ever since he turned on Roman & Dean.

It's like some of you really want Rollins to have some 2002-2003 HHH reign of terror beating anyone and everyone to go along with the 2002-2003 boring and overly long HHH-like promos we're already getting from him.

The hand wringing over his record on HOUSE SHOWS is ridiculous, like who the fuck actually looks those things up? Other than the overly obsessed fans who are going to give WWE their money regardless of how shitty they are and thus don't really matter to their bottom line.

Yeah, as I said house shows are house shows. I put that stat because I found it funny seeing so many losses and the one W against Sting, it just looked weird I guess. I have no clue what would be the record during a moth for a cowardly heel WWE champ so who knows if a stat like that is common or not.

It's not happening and I'm preaching to the choir, but Cesaro would be a hell of a babyface champion.

He's got the skill, the look, and he's over. Why does Vince hate him again? I've heard it's that he considers Cesaro to be a "boring promo", which is untrue and I assume just a synonym for "not American".