Pro Wrestling Only

The Sports Buzz 35 GOAT list

TravJ1979

So clicking through Yahoo and one of the sponsored links was a list of the "35 greatest wrestlers in the history of the sport" by The Sports Buzz.

The list (in alphabetical order) The article listed them in no order.

AJ Styles
Andre The Giant
Arn Anderson
Bret Hart
Brock Lesnar
Bruiser Brody
Cactus Jack
Chris Jericho
CM Punk
Curt Hennig
Da Crusher
Daniel Bryan
Dynamite Kid
Eddy Guerrero
Edge
Gorgeous George
HHH
Hulk Hogan
Jack Brisco
Jim Londos
John Cena
Lou Thesz
Randy Orton
Randy Savage
Rey Mysterio Jr.
Ric Flair
Roddy Piper
Samoa Joe
Shawn Michaels
Stan Hansen
Steve Austin
Superstar Billy Graham
The Rock
The Undertaker
Verne Gagne

I would struggle to take a top 100 list seriously that had Edge on it so a top 35 with his name listed is just not going to make me pay much attention. And Billy Graham kind of sucks and no way should he be on a top 35. But I guess I could see more of an argument for Graham as an influence and a character than Edge even though Edge's best matches are better.

goc, I think the list is mostly completely arbitrary and if you look at the actual article has no depth at all, laden with typos. It is an atrocious piece of work designed for the express purpose of generating click through rates for the ads.

Curt Hennig ran for two reigns as intercontinental champion, so his credentials can not be argued with. He also took part in some classic battles and went from loosing to winning easily.

Orton became the youngest world champion ever so just for that deserves a place on this list. Perhaps his out of ring antics are the thing that stops him being crowned the best of the best, but it is all up to you at the end of the day!

Samoa Joe - This very stylish big wrestler is not much for words and prefers to let his actions in the ring do the talking for him.

Dynamite Kid - Bret Hart [sic?] was brilliant inside the ropes but outside was a total media nightmare! He was also a smaller wrestler who had the power and skill to beat much bigger guys which was part of his appeal. With the help of Davey Boy Smith he was one half of the ‘British Bulldogs’ who at the time were the best tag team in the business. Unfortunately a huge back injury meat an early retirement and a wheelchair.

Stan Hansen - Well know [sic] as a very technically good wrestler in the US, but known as a living legend in Japan, Hansen was probably the biggest earner in the sport in Japan. He was a well known reveler out of the ring which didn’t win him many friends in the ring, however, the fans loved him!

Billy Graham - Wrestlers of the 60’s and 70’s were a bland lot with nothing really to separate any of them in terms of style..enter Billy Graham! Graham had a fantastic physique and wore brightly colored clothing as well as head bands. This look totally took the wrestling world by storm. His run as WWF champion was a long one [not particularly!] and he sold out Madison Square Garden many times.

We are wasting our time even looking at it.

I'm really glad I didn't bother to read the article after reading what they wrote about Billy Graham. "Wrestlers of the 60’s and 70’s were a bland lot with nothing really to separate any of them in terms of style" what a fucking ridiculous statement that is.

And Stan Hansen was a well known reveler outside of the ring? I thought he was the one who has been quoted by numerous people as telling young guys that "nothing good is going to happen to you inside of a bar."

• 3 weeks later...