Pro Wrestling Only

Has anyone finished the project?

Wade Garrett

I'm curious. I'm havin issues with 90-100.

I've got my list of 100 wrestlers. Then to make it easy to order them, I put them in groups of ten to start with. So far I'm happy with my top 20, but I'm going to need to do some tape watching to nail down the rest.

I'm using the bottom 10 for guilty pleasures such as Sabu and Masato Tanaka.

I'm curious. I'm havin issues with 90-100.

Well you could say I'm finished in that if someone said i had to submit my ballot right this second i could do it. But i guarantee that the ballot i'd submit today is not the one i'll have at the start of April.

What's the issue with 90-100, who to exclude? 10 empty spaces with nobody great enough to be on the list?

I'm in a similar boat to El McKell in that I could submit a ballot today, but I'd not be totally satisfied with it (I'll probably be the same in April, but that's the nature of the beast). I've got 75 guys locked down in a vaguely right order, and 40-50 guys I'm trying to pair down for the final 25 spots.

I started with tag teams and finished them up. Helped that I had probably only about 20% of the teams that were new to me as opposed to many more singles wrestlers.

I had to STOP watching ECW hardcore TV as it was getting me to rate anyone I saw on it lower and lower. I really don't like that show or get why anyone could think it still holds up.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched all of the Memphis 80s material a few years ago. Enjoyed a lot of it and thought it was a very easy set to get through. At the same time, nothing I saw felt like all-time material. Fast forward to the last couple weeks when I decided to rewatch some choice matches from the period. Lo and behold I'm all of sudden seeing the light on Jerry Lawler and rating Funk even higher than before. Also feeling a whole lot of Ted Dibiase love, even if I can't block out most of his work in Japan.

Point is I can only imagine how off base my rankings will look like come Mania as opposed to 6 or 12 months later. Will definitely submit my list but if I can muster the effort will be just as eager to revisit it a little bit down the road after giving fresh eyes to some pros.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 100 working names now. The order is still being arranged, almost daily... and a few guys at the very bottom might move off & be replaced with other fringe guys for me. But I do have 100 names now & if I had to turn it in tomorrow, I could. I'm more happy with my top 50 than bottom 50. I don't feel like I'm finished yet.

I'll admit though, since this project started, I've never watched this much pro-wrestling in my life. I mean, we're bordering on unhealthy at this point, legit. If I could go back in time, however, I would have spent more time on people I was totally unfamiliar with that were nominated instead of watching more footage of people I was familiar with to try to remind myself of how I felt about them or get a better, more familiar understanding of them. There are a few Puroresu names on my list that will be higher on the list of others than they are on mine, and that's because I'm terrible at time management. Tenryu, Fujiwara, Hase, Choshu, Hashimoto... I've just accepted that there's not enough time now. I mean, I spent a couple of days doing nothing but watching John Tenta, One Man Gang & Big Boss Man matches but I think I've only seen one Jerry Blackwell match in my life & he's not on my list, nor will he be. Just as an example.

Biggest surprises for me were Larry Zybysko & The Destroyer.

At the end of the day, we're all going to have different lists & there will be a lot of debating & arguing over numbers but I'll be able to say although others will disagree with some of mine (and that's fine) I know that I put the time in & am presenting something that I'm OK with my name being attached to. What more can be asked?

I mean you can't truly finish this project until you've seen all taped wrestling ever to occur, and let's face it no matter how obsessive you are that is just not going to ever happen. I change my list a lot because I change my mind a lot but right now it's mostly just figuring out where to rank certain folks.

This is going to be so much harder than I thought. Started cutting names from the list last night and have something over 200 locks. Very comfortable with my top 10-15 but after that, finalizing the 100, nevermind actually ranking them, is going to be much harder than planned. Combine that with generally preferring to watch more matches rather than work on the spreadsheet, and this will be an old school WingedEagle Cram JobTM. Can't wait!

I'm not even close. I'm still working on the tag team list as well. I have my top 10 teams, it's the other 15 I'm constantly changing around. My goal is to be done with this portion by next weekend.

The top 100 I still have so many guys to slot properly. I started taking the top guys (IMO) from every territory or promotion and then tried slotting them. Problem with that is some guys I have multiple times. So do they make it higher due to this? I'm still not sure. Right now my list looks more like an old PWI territory top ten ranking than a 100 GWE list.