Pro Wrestling Only

Royal Rumble 2016

Death From Above

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The booking made Roman look weak as fuck taking a 30 minute break. If they had left him out there the whole time maybe he would've got some sympathy. I might have believed Ambrose had a shot if he wasn't already the IC champ. After this I don't know why everyone in the Rumble doesn't just fake an injury and come back at the end. Brock stiffing Stroman was hilarious. The rest of the company looks good, but that main event feud is the drizzling shits.

Reigns wins overblown epic at Mania, gets Orton-sized pop, ice caps keep melting.

completely agree with this. Reigns beating Hunter at mania will mean nothing

I agree, though it's not like Hunter as the bathroom break slot at Mania is new. Shit, he had that terrible match with Brock.

You know what pissed me off most? Reigns refuses to go on a stretcher and walks to the back under his own power and the announcers put over what a man and how tough he is. Well, if he's that manly, tough and a white meat babyface, he'd have walked back to the fucking ring. He still looked a pussy walking to the back as much as being stretchered there. Actually, it made him look more of a pussy as walking to the back meant he chose to go to the back. Especially when you've got HEEL Kevin Owens slowly dragging his carcass to the ring to compete after earlier being back body dropped off the top turnbuckle through a table outside the ring. Fucking stupid.

Another Royal Rumble lowlight - The strike exchange between Big Show and Braun Strowman. Fuck me that was brutal, possibly the worst I've ever seen in fact, but probably not as brutal as Show's knee felt when Braun fucked up dumping Show out and tangled his braced to the nines knee up in between the ropes which must have fucking killed. Strowman is awful.

This isn't a shot at you personally in any way, more of a generalization, but I honestly have no idea how a man can be around your age and not have a connection to some of the New Day's source material. It literally makes no sense that a male wrestling fan in their 30's on the internet wouldn't get and enjoy something about New Day's gimmick.

Completely baffled by the Wyatts hate. Is this more of that smart mark nonsense where clean wrestling isn't a gimmick but gimmicks are gimmicks and so it sucks?

I love gimmick. The gimmick is a bit trite, but I think it could be overcome. The problem is the booking. The zero rationale for who they attack. They attack a random person. Spout some Mumbai jumbo and feud for four months and lose. Complain about Raven all you want at least his feuds had progression and his promos motivation.

The Wyatt's like most things in WWE are half baked

I'd prefer not to discuss this. If we are all still around in 15 years, remember who said it first that it will date badly.

I can see you saying it will date badly like babyface DX or Edge & Christian. I don't think Edge & Christian have dated badly per se. I can see you say goofball humor won't last. I disagree I love it.

But Men on a Fucking Mission? They were never even as close to as over as the NEW DAY!

Random thoughts:

- Did not enjoy Owens-Ambrose at all, and I'm shocked all of you did. I'm so tired of these gimmicky weapon spots, and both of them seemed to be moving at half-speed for the whole match. Doesn't help that the cameraman did an absolutely shitty job of capturing the double table spot. He almost missed it, basically.

- Kalisto has major zits on his back. Hope he's not roiding. Before you scoff, remember that Jamie Noble (of all people) once got Wellness-ed.

- ADR/Kalisto was fun, and it's nice to see someone new and relevant get a push.

- New Day is unstoppably over. I can't imagine who would be big enough to face them at Mania. Hope it's not the Dudleys or Usos again.

- Charlotte vs. Becky was good fun, and I loved the post-match with The Boss.

- A really good Rumble match (Styles! Zayn! YEAH!!!), but the Wyatt overpush was terrible and the end result was frustrating.

- Triple H is the winner of the Royal Rumble and new WWE World Heavyweight Champion. What decade are we in???

I think Fastlane we're getting Roman/Triple H, Brock/Bray & Becky/Sasha/Charlotte.

Then at Wrestlemania getting Roman/Brock 2, Triple H/Bray & Sasha/Paige.

That's my assumption right now.

And maybe I am underestimating the drawing power of WWE, with their record low ratings & Smackdown shows getting like 1,000 people... but 100k+ tickets is A LOT to sell (that aren't cheap)... and these mother-fuckers aren't Hogan/Andre.

Completely baffled by the Wyatts hate. Is this more of that smart mark nonsense where clean wrestling isn't a gimmick but gimmicks are gimmicks and so it sucks?

I love gimmick. The gimmick is a bit trite, but I think it could be overcome. The problem is the booking. The zero rationale for who they attack. They attack a random person. Spout some Mumbai jumbo and feud for four months and lose. Complain about Raven all you want at least his feuds had progression and his promos motivation.

The Wyatt's like most things in WWE are half baked

The promos are bad poetry and rarely make any sense.

I'd prefer not to discuss this. If we are all still around in 15 years, remember who said it first that it will date badly.

You better hope that web archive site is still relevant :P

The biggest issue with Bray is this complete rut that he is in:

Loses to big name guy at Wrestlemania

Sits around and gets lost in the shuffle for about 6 months

Pushed heavily 6 months before WM to justify a big time match

That has pretty much been his entire career. Maybe if he would have beaten Cena it would be different

They'll lie but helps to sell a lie when you have seats filled. Doesn't do anybody any good announcing 100,000 sellout and seeing empty seats all over. In that regard they need to put on a good card. It doesn't need to have the best main event if it's filled with goodies underneath but give people something to see.

This was the most perplexing booking of a Royal Rumble I can recall since, well, last year. And to me, it's an alarming level of being out of touch when fans seem to reject the Wrestlemania direction for the third year in a row.

Anyway, it was all over the place:

- Kevin Owens has more courage and can fight through pain better than Roman Reigns

- HHH won cleanly and honestly

- Brock is just a guy

- There is no hook for HHH-Reigns because Reigns wasn't wronged. If anything, he's the one that looks like the opportunist because he came back to the match so late

- Chris Jericho is the guy they see as their best workhorse

There's no real rhyme or reason to what they are thinking, at least not that I can decipher.

This was the most perplexing booking of a Royal Rumble I can recall since, well, last year. And to me, it's an alarming level of being out of touch when fans seem to reject the Wrestlemania direction for the third year in a row.

But did the fans reject it? The crowd in Orlando wasn't exactly booing H out of the building, unless my audio was borked. The wider audience is a difference story, but the fans in the arena for the Rumble were curiously muted. No riot, or any close to that. Of course, I agree with your post in general, but I was expecting a lot more negative crowd heat than we got. This was hardly last year or the year before.