Pro Wrestling Only

Royal Rumble 2016

Death From Above

Where's the hook now? Where's the desire to see Reigns avenge this? Avenge what?

You gotta tune-in to the longest running weekly episodic program in cable television history to find out! Can Roman fight back against all odds? Find out after this, as RAW continues to roll on!

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed the match. I had chills up my spine seeing AJ Styles in a WWE ring for the first time since he's been a major star, especially seeing him in his usual ring gear (not having been repackaged as Ringmaster 2.0).

I didn't like the crowd. At certain points, they just came across as spiteful. I also viscerally hated the cheers for Triple H (they even continued to cheer after he took out Ziggler and Ambrose).

With the crowd as hostile to Roman as they were, was there a way to book a victory for him? I don't think so. Also, I'm not willing to buy any excuses for the crowd's behaviour. If they're smart, then clearly they understand that Triple H winning means the same thing as Reigns winning.

I didn't like the crowd. At certain points, they just came across as spiteful. I also viscerally hated the cheers for Triple H (they even continued to cheer after he took out Ziggler and Ambrose).

Well, yeah. Triple H -- and, to a lesser extent, just about anybody else that had a significant role in the Attitude Era -- has been positioned as a god, a true star amidst a sea of Superstars ™ whose participation in any match is Something Noteworthy, so the fans are excited to see him...because they're excited to see something (anything) meaningful.

It happens to an extent each year, but it also seemed like they had less regard for any semblance of order this time around. Roman was in, but out. Wyatts and the LON were out, but in. Miz was hanging out at the booth. I understand not wanting to close those loopholes because you never know when they can be good storytelling crutches, but it felt abused last night.

I think Fastlane we're getting Roman/Triple H

Maggle and JBL already said Triple H is main eventing WrestleMania.

So? There have been a handful of times that they've booked the Rumble winner to not end up in the Main Event of WrestleMania. Either not in the match at all (Austin '97 and Vince) or in the last spot of the night (Del Rio, Edge, Sheamus), but it has happened.

It happens to an extent each year, but it also seemed like they had less regard for any semblance of order this time around. Roman was in, but out. Wyatts and the LON were out, but in. Miz was hanging out at the booth. I understand not wanting to close those loopholes because you never know when they can be good storytelling crutches, but it felt abused last night.

Yeah, it seemed like way too much over compensating for the Axel bit last year. Hell even Sheamus got in after getting the Axel treatment on the ramp!

Which is funny because a participant getting jumped, incapacitated or MIA before entering has happened often through the years. I guess because of all the insanity with social media blowing up and the bad taste overall that last year's Rumble had, they had to make it into an actual thing.

I think Fastlane we're getting Roman/Triple H

Maggle and JBL already said Triple H is main eventing WrestleMania.

So? There have been a handful of times that they've booked the Rumble winner to not end up in the Main Event of WrestleMania. Either not in the match at all (Austin '97 and Vince) or in the last spot of the night (Del Rio, Edge, Sheamus), but it has happened.

Raise your hands if you think there's a chance in hell of that happening this time. I'd love to be wrong, but come on now.

I think it's a matter of quality control. There were things missed by the camera or simultaneous developments at times too, it seemed like.

Not in the Rumble, but the worst was the camera man almost missing the double table finish of Ambrose-Owens. The footage we saw was at a bad, obscured angle. Just terrible.

Actually, no, the worst was Kofi's elimination not being shown (although someone here said there was a replay of that, which I don't remember, but I'm not doubting it was shown).

Raise your hands if you think there's a chance in hell of that happening this time. I'd love to be wrong, but come on now.

Well, part of my belief is operating on when it was said that WWE want Fastlane to mean something this year & not just be a throwaway PPV in-between Mania & Rumble.

Which makes established law-abiding citizen Brock Lesnar quietly leaving after his elimination all the more bizarre.

Absolutely. In the 1991 Rumble Randy Savage was officially eliminated when the next number buzzed. It feels silly in a way to be bothered by a lack of rules in a fictional contest. But when you have an "evil authority" who can bend the rules at will, you feel cheated by a lack of structure.

By the way, did anyone watch the pre-show? They did a backstage segment where the Social Outcast answered Social Media questions & it was genuinely entertaining.They all came off as real dudes having fun... not people trying to remember & recite words written for them. They were even cracking each other up! Bo Dallas definitely got Curtis Axel to break character & laugh. I wish more people on the roster could be like that full-time on the main shows! It was endearing.

Well, part of my belief is operating on when it was said that WWE want Fastlane to mean something this year & not just be a throwaway PPV in-between Mania & Rumble.

But wasn't that supposed to have something to do with the Rumble finish itself?

My guess, and I may be wrong, is that we'll see Reigns have to "earn" a Mania shot against H (maybe against Brock?). I could see that being the main event, with H not defending the title at FastLane.

When given the choice between making HHH look great and building interest to a match, they chose the former, which isn't surprising. But HHH got his revenge and did it on the up-and-up. Where's the hook now? Where's the desire to see Reigns avenge this? Avenge what?

I don't think it was fully on the up-and-up. Reigns got #1 in a rigged number pick, HHH got #30 in most likely another rigged pick, and the McMahons orchestrated a mass beat down of Reign's by the LoN, who've been portrayed strongly as their henchmen. They executed it clumsily (someone on commentary should have speculated how HHH got the best number), but it's something they can bring up tonight on Raw

I liked the debut of AJ Styles but he isn't one of my guys. I wasn't as excited as some of you are. I didn't think the Rumble was interesting enough to merit a thumbs up. I liked that everyone worked hard but I just don't care about anyone on the roster at the moment. The one healthy guy I care about (Rusev) is a mid carder being punished for having a hot wife. I don't think HHH winning world titles in 2016 is best for business. Mania feels ho hum and I have to just be content being part of the atmosphere and not get caught up in match quality or genuine investment in any of the wrestlers. I seriously don't car e about this company right now. I wasn't even angry when Trips won. I expect this company to disappoint me on all fronts when it comes to booking.

When given the choice between making HHH look great and building interest to a match, they chose the former, which isn't surprising. But HHH got his revenge and did it on the up-and-up. Where's the hook now? Where's the desire to see Reigns avenge this? Avenge what?

I don't think it was fully on the up-and-up. Reigns got #1 in a rigged number pick, HHH got #30 in most likely another rigged pick, and the McMahons orchestrated a mass beat down of Reign's by the LoN, who've been portrayed strongly as their henchmen. They executed it clumsily (someone on commentary should have speculated how HHH got the best number), but it's something they can bring up tonight on Raw

LOL. Seriously. He doesn't have to rig shit for his own spot. He is a freaking boss! All he has to do is give out 29 and keep the last one for himself. That was clear when he didn't even have a segment talking to anybody about the pick. Its not like they stuffed the roller with Triple H's name for the 30th pick.

I think it's possible that Styles is the most over debutant in history.

C'mon, Doesn't Bill Goldberg's WWE debut blow this out of the water in terms of crowd reaction

I guess I wasn't really thinking about guys who jumped between Big Two.

Goldberg didn't jump, WCW was in the ground for just over two years.

Steiner got a bigger pop than Styles did though. But that's because it's Big Poppa Fucking Pump.

LOL. Seriously. He doesn't have to rig shit for his own spot. He is a freaking boss! All he has to do is give out 29 and keep the last one for himself. That was clear when he didn't even have a segment talking to anybody about the pick. Its not like they stuffed the roller with Triple H's name for the 30th pick.

Still, Reigns being tossed with no real shenanigans after taking a power nap in the back isn't going to get the average fan's blood boiling. It's like what Bil Watts recognized about Junkyard Dog. The only way he would stay over is if he never lost by anything close to fair means.

I am not disputing that and I realize logic doesn't have a place in wrestling but I am just saying it kind of insults the fans' intelligence a little if we pretend that Triple H resorted to nefarious means to ensure his participation. He is one of three people that can decide to enter as #31 as a surprise if they desired to, let alone enter at #30.

So this was my first time watching a PPV on the Network. There were technical problems a few times. And I was floored during the preshow match when they left the match for three minutes to advertise reality TV programs that would be on the Network. Between the match interuption, the 3 or 4 technical problems, and WWE missing Kofi's elimination, there were like 5 times where I was like "fuck this is why I never order PPVs, I'm calling VIOS to get my money back!" only to realize I was watching it for free.

Holy fucking shit! I watched 5 minutes of RAW on DVR and saw H won the belt and marked out and had to watch the Rumble!

But AJ STYLES are you kidding me!!! Dreams do come true, back to match now to see him GO!!!

EDIT: holy shit yeah I've seen him wrestle just a couple months back and he ruled still, but just in that first exchange he proved he not only still has "It", but he's just as good as his 2005 Glory Year. (Get this Breeze guy out of my screen! What is he like a Shannon Moore tribute ? Money gimmick yeah right )

Tell me AJ is at least doing a Brock deal?

AJ vs Brock my dream match please? Or AJ vs HHH for the belt? Yeah I know Reigns is the story but no buys.

And why does everyone drone on and on about Reigns getting boo'd as the Top Face? Cena has been in that spot for a decade and everything is doing fine. Roman had badass matches and looks like a millions bucks and gets boo'd just like Cena. It's going to be fine. I prefer him on top to Daniel Bryan(AJ is here now, who needs Danielson?)