Pro Wrestling Only

Royal Rumble 2016

Death From Above

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was the most perplexing booking of a Royal Rumble I can recall since, well, last year. And to me, it's an alarming level of being out of touch when fans seem to reject the Wrestlemania direction for the third year in a row.

But did the fans reject it? The crowd in Orlando wasn't exactly booing H out of the building, unless my audio was borked. The wider audience is a difference story, but the fans in the arena for the Rumble were curiously muted. No riot, or any close to that. Of course, I agree with your post in general, but I was expecting a lot more negative crowd heat than we got. This was hardly last year or the year before.

They were supposed to boo Hunter.

Let me rephrase that. For it to work, on paper, they were supposed to be booing Hunter out of the building. Them cheering Hunter is not a sign that this worked. He's not the babyface.

This was the most perplexing booking of a Royal Rumble I can recall since, well, last year. And to me, it's an alarming level of being out of touch when fans seem to reject the Wrestlemania direction for the third year in a row.

Anyway, it was all over the place:

- Kevin Owens has more courage and can fight through pain better than Roman Reigns

- HHH won cleanly and honestly

- Brock is just a guy

- There is no hook for HHH-Reigns because Reigns wasn't wronged. If anything, he's the one that looks like the opportunist because he came back to the match so late

- Chris Jericho is the guy they see as their best workhorse

There's no real rhyme or reason to what they are thinking, at least not that I can decipher.

I reject the notion Brock is just a guy. They went out of their way to have four HUGE men. Take him out. It was incredibly frustratingandcheap but it was the necessary to eliminate Brock from the match before the match. Look how Brock was booked before. Quickly eliminating people and dominating mammoths. Have no clue, how you come out feeling that Brock is just a guy.

AJ probably would've been a made man in WWE forever had he made it to the final 6 or so. But you know how that stuff goes.

Perplexing is a good word for it. HHH won and while it was the most logical choice given the . . . illogical nature of this entire wrestlemania build, I was still left saying "really?"

The uncertainty of it all will have me glued, but this all looks hella dicey on top. And I want AJ Styles to work every single person in the company.

But did the fans reject it? The crowd in Orlando wasn't exactly booing H out of the building, unless my audio was borked. The wider audience is a difference story, but the fans in the arena for the Rumble were curiously muted. No riot, or any close to that. Of course, I agree with your post in general, but I was expecting a lot more negative crowd heat than we got. This was hardly last year or the year before.

They were supposed to boo Hunter.

Let me rephrase that. For it to work, on paper, they were supposed to be booing Hunter out of the building. Them cheering Hunter is not a sign that this worked. He's not the babyface.

Not that he minded.

Because he made less of a lasting impression than AJ Styles or Chris Jericho? And because he was selling like crazy long before he was eliminated anyway? And because he took his elimination in stride?

Is this in response to me?

If so, AJ had a great entrance and then did pretty much nothing. Jericho just lasted a really long time. My mom was openly mocking for just laying in the corner. AJ probably made the last impression because it was his debut. Jericho, no way. Don't see that at all.

If that was selling like crazy, standards for selling have dropped to a record low. Brock ripped through everyone. He sold some fatigued but he just lifted 300 lbs men repeatedly. He crushed everything in his path. It took four HUGE men to take him down.

I'll grant you taking his elimination in stride.

Good point, everyone, on H being cheered. Although, you act like it was a massive crowd pop, when in reality, the Orlando crowd was pretty muted.

Still, returning wrestlers always get cheered. Can't believe WWE was so tone deaf that they didn't expect that kind of reaction.

AJ probably would've been a made man in WWE forever had he made it to the final 6 or so. But you know how that stuff goes.

Not really. Mr. Perfect returned and made it to the final four in 2002, and it didn't mean a lick. Sure, the Plane Ride from Hell derailed his momentum, but he was booked as a lower midcarder even before that - with his odd couple pairing with Boss Man that screamed "we have no idea what the fuck to do with either of these guys." Felt like the type of random pairing someone would choose in those old WWF Superstars or WrestleFest arcade games.

And Triple H eliminating him actually would have gotten him boos, which he was supposed to get since he's, you know, the heel. But as you said, you know how this stuff goes.

I didn't see the ripping through everyone the same way you did.

The Wyatt's threw Kane, Show and Henry out with ease. Brock man handled all three Wyatts. He ripped through them. Wyatts were established as the dominating force and he dominated them. Then after being worn down by manhandled three large men he was ganged up on by four large men. No shame there. Frustrating as a Brock fan and wanting to see Brock/Roman II, but no shame. WWE went out of their way to set up an elaborate plot device to have him eliminated and this is the second biggest program for Mania. AJ & Jericho at best can only hope for a distant third.

People may groan but I'd like to see AJ vs Y2j at Mania. AJ vs Indy Star has been there done that I'll see it at Payback and it will be good feel to it

Honestly, I don't really know why Brock was in the Rumble at all if that was their plan for him. Seems he was... wasted.

Then again, I don't know why Roman lost the title to a Sheamus cash-in, nor why the Rumble was for the title.

It was all stupid. But that's what WWE does nowadays. They panic, hotshot some shit, then are in damage control while the crowd boos the faces and cheers the heels.

I didn't see the ripping through everyone the same way you did.

The Wyatt's threw Kane, Show and Henry out with ease. Brock man handled all three Wyatts. He ripped through them. Wyatts were established as the dominating force and he dominated them. Then after being worn down by manhandled three large men he was ganged up on by four large men. No shame there. Frustrating as a Brock fan and wanting to see Brock/Roman II, but no shame. WWE went out of their way to set up an elaborate plot device to have him eliminated and this is the second biggest program for Mania. AJ & Jericho at best can only hope for a distant third.

People may groan but I'd like to see AJ vs Y2j at Mania. AJ vs Indy Star has been there done that I'll see it at Payback and it will be good feel to it

I saw it as the guy who worked a pay-per-view main event against John Cena without Cena getting any offense at all as taking more punishment than he typically does. It was just odd to see Jericho outlast him, to see Ambrose outlast him, to see the Wyatts outlast him. Those are the guys we see on TV every week that sometimes win and sometimes lose. That's not Brock. It seems like if they booked Brock like they always do, even with that many guys, he'd eliminate them all one by one.

Also, can someone tell me when we actually saw Kofi Kingston's feet hit the floor? Last time I saw him, he was on Big E's shoulder drinking a Pepsi and leading a chant for popcorn. Then the League of Nations went after Roman and they disappeared. What did I miss? When/how was he actually eliminated?

Also, can someone tell me when we actually saw Kofi Kingston's feet hit the floor? Last time I saw him, he was on Big E's shoulder drinking a Pepsi and leading a chant for popcorn. Then the League of Nations went after Roman and they disappeared. What did I miss? When/how was he actually eliminated?

Maggle mentioned his elimination - it happened during Roman's attack by the League of Nations - but we never saw it.