Pro Wrestling Only

Shane McMahon returns to WWE

C.S.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Shane left, did he sell off his share of the company's stock, or did he keep it? I'm wondering how much backstage power he could possibly have now besides just his name.

He kept it but that really doesn't matter. Vince has enough shares that he can't get pushed out that way.

Crazy idea, but any chance of Shane being replaced by *drumroll* Kurt Angle?

That's the only other name I can think of that the fans wouldn't accept as a disappointment if Shane bows out.

Kurt supposedly "retired" from wrestling, only to leave TNA and turn around and take other indy bookings immediately.

Probably a pipe dream, but it's fun to think of the what-ifs.

That's the only other name I can think of that the fans wouldn't accept as a disappointment if Shane bows out.

Kurt supposedly "retired" from wrestling, only to leave TNA and turn around and take other indy bookings immediately.

Vince has said Kurt Angle will never work for him again because he doesn't want an Olympic gold medalist to die on their watch. He's been saying that for years. It's never happening.

Vince has said Kurt Angle will never work for him again because he doesn't want an Olympic gold medalist to die on their watch. He's been saying that for years. It's never happening.

It is annoying when people keep bringing up Angle being back with the WWE. People don't realize how very negatively the power players in the WWE views Angle. Triple H is more likely to put the world title on Jericho for a 10 year reign than he is bringing Angle in for a match of any kind.

Yea when it comes to Angle people need to take off their fantasy booker hat and remember this is a guy who got out of his WWE contract by going into Vince's office and (faked?) having a mental breakdown about how he was too fucked up to be on the road and needed to quit wrestling.

Yea when it comes to Angle people need to take off their fantasy booker hat and remember this is a guy who got out of his WWE contract by going into Vince's office and (faked?) having a mental breakdown about how he was too fucked up to be on the road and needed to quit wrestling.

Considering what we've seen of Angle's career since then, I'm not sure how fake that mental breakdown would've been. He was too fucked up to be on the road, and he probably did need to quit wrestling. :(

Considering what we've seen of Angle's career since then, I'm not sure how fake that mental breakdown would've been. He was too fucked up to be on the road, and he probably did need to quit wrestling. :(

Yeah...and that's a guy you just said the WWE would/should bring in...?

I'm more confused of why we're supposed to act like Shane McMahon is a big star. I mean, he has big moments, like getting thrown through glass or falling off of high things... but I don't feel like he's ever accomplished a lot as an on-screen character. Maybe I am misremembering or forgetting a lot of things though.

I think a lot of the pop was because it was a genuine surprise factor. I certainly didn't see Shane McMahon coming... but I also don't think that Shane McMahon is a credible opponent for almost anyone on the roster. Certainly not for The Undertaker at Wrestlemania in a Hell in a Cell match. It just seems so... random.

It's really confusing to me.

Ok so you don't actually say should or would. I just assumed you calling it a pipe dream is close enough to "should" but that isn't fair of me to put words in your mouth. My apologies.

No worries. Yes, I'd certainly love the healthy, full of potential version of Kurt Angle that he was in his first year or two (unless I'm deluding myself about that too), but that ship has long since sailed, and his trainwreck of a career and life is one of wrestling's saddest stories. :( He does deserve a last hurrah, but I don't think a wrestling ring is the healthiest place for him to have that. A WWE Hall of Fame induction and speech is the best we can hope for.

I'm more confused of why we're supposed to act like Shane McMahon is a big star. I mean, he has big moments, like getting thrown through glass or falling off of high things... but I don't feel like he's ever accomplished a lot as an on-screen character. Maybe I am misremembering or forgetting a lot of things though.

I think a lot of the pop was because it was a genuine surprise factor. I certainly didn't see Shane McMahon coming... but I also don't think that Shane McMahon is a credible opponent for almost anyone on the roster. Certainly not for The Undertaker at Wrestlemania in a Hell in a Cell match. It just seems so... random.

To me it was part genuine surprise, and also the result of not being on TV for nearly 7 years. He's a reminder to a lot of people of a time when wrestling was fun.

I think there was a level of wish fulfillment with Shane too. For those who were teenagers in the Attitude Era or just a little older, he sort of felt like he was living a dream, the idea of "if he could do it, then...?" and he wrestled the way a lot of smarks would want to too.

Shane McMahon isn't really a big *star*, but he is a big deal to wrestling fans, especially ones that are closer to you typical WWE fan than anyone on this board or DVDVR. The reaction over here is undermining his return, if anything. Everyone on my local board loved it (and that is mostly teens to early 20s with a few exeptions) and somehow I tend to find that the best thing go by these days. I doubt a casual fan is going to say "how dare a favourite from my childhood return!". So I would say "people not excited about Shane McMahon's return" are a very peculiar group.

To me it was part genuine surprise, and also the result of not being on TV for nearly 7 years. He's a reminder to a lot of people of a time when wrestling was fun.

This is exactly what it is, I got a text from a friend who has tuned out since 2005 or so and he loved the fact that Shane was back. It's nostalgia booking but I can see how that might work in this case

Ok so you don't actually say should or would. I just assumed you calling it a pipe dream is close enough to "should" but that isn't fair of me to put words in your mouth. My apologies.

No worries. Yes, I'd certainly love the healthy, full of potential version of Kurt Angle that he was in his first year or two (unless I'm deluding myself about that too), but that ship has long since sailed, and his trainwreck of a career and life is one of wrestling's saddest stories. :( He does deserve a last hurrah, but I don't think a wrestling ring is the healthiest place for him to have that. A WWE Hall of Fame induction and speech is the best we can hope for.
I caught up on a lot of 2015 TNA a while back. Angle's still pretty solid in the ring.

Just to mention that I totally get why Shane would get a huge reaction.

I'm trying to think of an equivalent, but struggling. Unique set of circumstances. Like gone long enough and out of the blue enough that it's a genuine surprise, and enough positive feelings towards the guy that people are genuinely happy to see him.

Mr. Perfect got quite a big reaction when he appeared at that Rumble in 2002, I mean they botched the run, but he got a big reaction. Closest one I can think of.