Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling thoughts that probably don't deserve

Coffey

Guest The Metal Maniac

Man, I hate when announcers try to cover obvious screw-ups. I can see not pointing out things that average fans might not notice (like, if a Figure-Four isn't applied as well as it could be, who cares?) but when someone slips off the top rope or something and they try to cover it...that's bad. Announcers should be able to just say "Well, he made a mistake there, that's why it's called high-risk offense" or something to that extent.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I hate when announcers try to cover obvious screw-ups. I can see not pointing out things that average fans might not notice (like, if a Figure-Four isn't applied as well as it could be, who cares?) but when someone slips off the top rope or something and they try to cover it...that's bad.

Why? It's a wrestling announcer's job to make the bad stuff seem not so bad.

I'm not so sure the criticism itself is the problem as much as how much of a broken record those criticisms have become. You can only hear the same old shit so much before it just becomes annoying. Especially when some people like to complain about the crowd more than talking about the actual ring product.

Then again, it's only some individuals who like to keep harping on that. I guess it would be a drag for someone to make mention of it just once, and get jumped on because other people have obsessed over it so much. Such is the way of the internet I guess.

Guest The Metal Maniac

Man, I hate when announcers try to cover obvious screw-ups. I can see not pointing out things that average fans might not notice (like, if a Figure-Four isn't applied as well as it could be, who cares?)  but when someone slips off the top rope or something and they try to cover it...that's bad.

Why? It's a wrestling announcer's job to make the bad stuff seem not so bad.
Yeah, but when you take it too far and end up saying something ridiculous, I think it just makes everyone look bad. I don't see why wrestlers should have to be 100% perfect at everything all the time, so I don't see why the announcers can't point out some mistakes; again, assuming they don't go too far and end up making the wrestler look stupid.

Raw' s going to be must watch tv tonight:

CHAOS BACKSTAGE AT RAW TODAY LEADS TO CHANGES ON TONIGHT'S SHOW

by Dave Scherer @ 1:40:00 PM on 7/24/2006

We just got word from backstage at Raw that Stephanie McMahon has gone into labor. Vince McMahon and Triple H are said to be heading back to Connecticut to be with her, forcing massive changes to tonight's show. My guess is that Shane McMahon and Shawn Michaels will do the next angle in the feud between DX and The McMahons tonight, but that is just a guess.

http://pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=19315&p=1

I was reading HTQ's recap of the Observer, and saw this...

Flair taped a comeback promo on Foley on 7/10, for the one that aired that night, and Flair was said to be very excited about it because he had more feeling in it that anything he?d done in a long time. The line Foley used about imaginary tough guys was to set up Flair talking about Bruiser Brody and Stan Hansen, which garnered a negative reaction from Brian Gewirtz because he had no idea who Flair was talking about. This frustrated Flair. And after all that, it never aired on 7/17 as planned.

You know, I'd hate to think this is actually true...but the sad thing is that it probably is. Unreal. For somebody to work on a creative team in wrestling, and not know who Brody and/or Hansen are? Un-freaking-real.

Dear Lord, they're actually pushing the Diva Search on both shows this year? This segment bombs every year and it seems to just make them push it even harder the next year.

The segments are nightmares in terms of quality, but they also make the networks happy and usually do pretty good quarter hours, sadly.

I watched OVW this week. I really love what they're doing with Cody Runnels. When he started out he would win by flukes after getting beat up the entire match and slowly he's gaining confidence and doing a little more in the ring every week and has the sleeper as his finisher now.

Guest Danny Dubya v 2.0

Yeah, cause Vince would never let a female run the comp...oh yeah, that's right.

Hey, at least if it's a female you know they'll only manage the behind-the-scenes aspects of the company and never appear on TV over and over again to shove themselves down our thro... oh wait, never mind.

You know, I'd hate to think this is actually true...but the sad thing is that it probably is. Unreal.  For somebody to work on a creative team in wrestling, and not know who Brody and/or Hansen are?  Un-freaking-real.

I'm sure he's not the only one, as pre existing knowledge of wrestling is frowned down upon in new TV writers. We wouldn't want them coming in with false preconceived notions like Triple H is overpushed or Stephanie is an incompetent fool or Vince McMahon is going insane or...