Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling thoughts that probably don't deserve

Coffey

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we thought they were going to go that route four years ago when Vince was caught staring at Stephanie's cleavage, so why is anybody acting surprised?

I'm not really surprised that he proposed the angle. I *am* surprised that Stephanie or whoever mentioned this on the DVD.

I for one, am not surprised he'd suggest it, I AM suprised that no one in the DVD end of the company (doesn't Shane run that?) would say to Vince "hey, you know, maybe we shouldn't have you saying you wanted to impregnate your daughter on a DVD that's being distributed worldwide".

If anything about that surprised me, it's that Stephanie had the common sense to tell Vince it was a bad idea.

I'm actually not surprised by that. Weren't there reports out back at the time about how both Stephanie and HHH were orginally against the angle of HHH boning a phony corpse? Sometimes both Vince's daughter and son-in-law seem to have better common sense than Vince himself does these days.

mark_target at DVDVR made an excellent point about something I didn't think of yet:

Since nobody has mentioned it yet, I'll throw in how godawful it is that he'd subject his grandchild to the life of humiliation for the sake of an angle.

Do you think for a second anyone would have ever let that child live down the "product of incest" stigma? People on television have been ruined for life, playing out completely fabricated stories having nothing to do with their own lives.

This would have been the case of an innocent child forced to start his/her life as the punchline of her grandfather's sick grab for ratings (that would never materialize).

I actually have more respect for Stephanie and Shane now. Thank god they didn't inherit their father's complete lack of common sense and forethought.

Man, I'm already getting greedy with WWE 24/7. There's some stuff that's listed but not available yet (it's only been up 2 full days, still some bugs to be worked out I'm sure), so SummerSlam 96 and World Tour 91 are just mocking me on the menu right now.....

Guest bravesfan

mark_target at DVDVR made an excellent point about something I didn't think of yet:

Since nobody has mentioned it yet, I'll throw in how godawful it is that he'd subject his grandchild to the life of humiliation for the sake of an angle.

Do you think for a second anyone would have ever let that child live down the "product of incest" stigma? People on television have been ruined for life, playing out completely fabricated stories having nothing to do with their own lives.

This would have been the case of an innocent child forced to start his/her life as the punchline of her grandfather's sick grab for ratings (that would never materialize).

I actually have more respect for Stephanie and Shane now. Thank god they didn't inherit their father's complete lack of common sense and forethought.

Is it that much worse than Rey's son Dominic? I mean it is on the depravity scale, but having Eddie being acknowledged as Dominic's father is pretty bad.

Is it that much worse than Rey's son Dominic?
Yes.

Guest bravesfan

I meant worse as if they've going there. They've already gone there. The point is that the psychological damage of that could not possibly be any better or worse than what Dominic could go through.

The angle, though, is absolutely horrifying to imagine.

EDIT: And the people that frowned upon Katie Vick were HBK and HHH, but then again, that was reported *after* all of the backlash, so who knows who was really appalled at the angle.

I meant worse as if they've going there. They've already gone there. The point is that the psychological damage of that could not possibly be any better or worse than what Dominic could go through.

The angle, though, is absolutely horrifying to imagine.

I think Dominic had worse inner feelings when Eddie, a friend of the family, passed away.

Plus, Dominic likely knew, or had it explained to him, that this was part of the show/act/whatever. Aurora, on the other hand, if this angle had all come to pass, won't be old enough to know about it until a few years from now, and when she finds out, that's when the shit would hit the fan. It would be like Bart Simpson's reaction to Homer collecting money for Bart's old commercials, only likely much worse. Realization over an event so early in your life years later is a tough pill to swallow.

Guest bravesfan

But see, most of the damage comes from humiliation. Just because Dominic provided what Rey thought was consent to the angle, doesn't mean that he's not being subjected to it right now. The kid is eight years old and it's unbelievable that he's the only one that may be thinking rationally about this. The "oh, it's only an angle" defense can't work for Dominic if it can't work for this other child. Both are disgusting and equally as humiliating for a child to endure.

I don't think it's that big a deal, really. Do the children of movie stars become fucked up because of roles their parents played? And realistically, what six year old is going to know what their classmate's parents did in a wrestling angle? (And let's remember that the kid's last name is not McMahon).

Let me put it this way. Is this worse than say, Jake Roberts being the product of a 13 year old mother?

Wrestling isn't movies. It's wrestling.

Anyway, from the newest WON:

This may be a first. After getting his tryout and doing well at the 7/31 and 8/1 TV tapings, James Beard was going to be hired as a full-time referee. However, after he posted, using his own name, on Wrestling Classics, details of his work, and his thoughts on the matches he did and people he saw, they decided against using him. It was actually a pretty big story among some of the people in the company at TV this past week, although nobody was quite familiar with exactly what he did other than he posted something on the internet that got people in management hot. The posts talked about how he was having to learn to get used to working with an earpiece, he talked about how Ricky Steamboat gave him the spot to kick the Spirit Squad guys out to get a pop, that he liked Rory McAlliser, and that Johnny Jeter is a good worker but he telegraphed the finish of their 8/7 Raw match. He talked about how the C.W. Anderson vs. Shannon Moore ECW match fell apart, as noted here last week. He said that Laurinaitis and Gerald Brisco told him in mid-match to change who worked heel (they wanted Moore to work heel since the crowd was crapping on him) and who went over (Moore was originally to win). He said both guys were like deers in headlights when they had to change the match on the fly, and they never slowed down enough to really get them the message. He said the finish may hve looked bad and Moore may have gotten his shoulder up, but he was told it was time for the finish and he didn't know if they had gotten his message. He also said the agents after the match were negative on both guys. Word to the wise. If you work in WWE, I won't say never post on the internet, but if you do, disguise your identity and use a fake name.

Wrestling isn't movies. It's wrestling.

Anyway, from the newest WON:

This may be a first. After getting his tryout and doing well at the 7/31 and 8/1 TV tapings, James Beard was going to be hired as a full-time referee. However, after he posted, using his own name, on Wrestling Classics, details of his work, and his thoughts on the matches he did and people he saw, they decided against using him. It was actually a pretty big story among some of the people in the company at TV this past week, although nobody was quite familiar with exactly what he did other than he posted something on the internet that got people in management hot. The posts talked about how he was having to learn to get used to working with an earpiece, he talked about how Ricky Steamboat gave him the spot to kick the Spirit Squad guys out to get a pop, that he liked Rory McAlliser, and that Johnny Jeter is a good worker but he telegraphed the finish of their 8/7 Raw match. He talked about how the C.W. Anderson vs. Shannon Moore ECW match fell apart, as noted here last week. He said that Laurinaitis and Gerald Brisco told him in mid-match to change who worked heel (they wanted Moore to work heel since the crowd was crapping on him) and who went over (Moore was originally to win). He said both guys were like deers in headlights when they had to change the match on the fly, and they never slowed down enough to really get them the message. He said the finish may hve looked bad and Moore may have gotten his shoulder up, but he was told it was time for the finish and he didn't know if they had gotten his message. He also said the agents after the match were negative on both guys. Word to the wise. If you work in WWE, I won't say never post on the internet, but if you do, disguise your identity and use a fake name.

Do we have a link to the thread?

I don't think it's that big a deal, really. Do the children of movie stars become fucked up because of roles their parents played? And realistically, what six year old is going to know what their classmate's parents did in a wrestling angle?

Pretty much any kid who watches wrestling on Monday nights.

The difference between wrestling and movies is that movies don't attempt to blur the line between work and shoot.

I just have to post Meltzer's preview of Flair-Foley for tomorrow.

*Ric Flair vs. Mick Foley in an I Quit match - This one is funny, because I could see these two almost getting into it in the dressing room over the finish. Seriously. Both will want to lose. Flair feels his role is to lose because he's unkillable, and Foley, no matter how the interviews go, thinks so highly of Flair as a performer (he was live at a Flair-Steamboat match in 1984 and he thought, at the time, it blew away any WWF match he'd ever seen) and that Flair is the bigger star that he'd want to put Flair over. Since Foley is the one with creative control on this finish, even in an I Quit situation, I think that means he's going to win out by losing. This is going to be a bloodbath and I actually believe it'll steal the show because Foley will have to construct something pretty outrageous to quit. This match and the Hogan match are clearly the two real main events on the show..

Jesus Dave just get it over with and ask them to marry you.

Here is what Stephanie said about the incest angle from the DVD:

The incest thing is next and he brought it up to Steph to be the father of her real life baby. She said that was the second time in her life where she told him no because she thought it was gross and disgusting and didn't find the entertainment value in it at all. So he brought up Shane's name and she again said no and that it does happen out there in the real world at times but it was too much for her.

Good for her. I'm starting to think she isn't that bad.

Edit: She also reveals that the plan was for her and Hunter to get back together on TV last fall/winter but it was dropped when she got pregnant