Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling thoughts that probably don't deserve

Coffey

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From this week's Observer Preview:

This coming Monday's issue of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter has updates on two of WWE's longest running performers who are both finishing up within the next two months including why they are leaving and what their futures look like

I'm assuming one is Trish. Any idea on the other? (Kane?)

Oh and nice of Dave to take shots at Gorilla Monsoon's announcing in today's update (from MSG Classics). The show was only 21 years ago Dave, not that you hold a grudge or anything

Guest Bruiser Chong

Meltzer thought he put himself over at the expense of the matches, and that he buried wrestlers on commentary.

Uh, how? You all know I've seen more matches with Gorilla commentating to last a lifetime and this doesn't sound accurate. He'd trash the heels at times, but not in the Roddy Piper sense of just tearing them down.

I don't recall many instances of Gorilla talking about himself, either. Casual fans wouldn't have known he was even a wrestler were it not for the phrase, "makes me glad I retired."

Well, today in his update, he took a shot at Monsoon because he called the British Bulldogs "workout junkies", which he apparently saw as some shoot comment at them for being roid freaks.

As opposed to the other 95% of the roster that was steroid free?

I mean good lord. Announcers make comments about wrestlers ALL THE TIME.

Guest Bruiser Chong

Well, today in his update, he took a shot at Monsoon because he called the British Bulldogs "workout junkies", which he apparently saw as some shoot comment at them for being roid freaks.

Never mind the promotion itself pushed how physically fit both guys were. Hell, there's a damn training segment on their old Coliseum Video release.

Guest Cam Chaos

Then Jim Ross is just as bad for calling TWGTT "gym rats" with "UNBELIEVABLE PHYSIQUES and incredible athleticism".

Way to go Meltzer for criticising a dead man 10 years after he passed away. Then he has the nerve to call the Eddie angles "in bad taste". Fucking idiot hypocrite.

Dave comes off as someone who's petty as fuck by trying to keep a feud going with someone who's been dead for a decade.

I've seen this "Monsoon was overrated" stuff pop up on DVDVR, now I know where it's coming from: Meltz-sheep who have no opinions of their own.

He had an injury, and took time off.

Here's some hilarity regarding Mr Burchill as well: Before his injury, Vince was all set to repackage him because Vince never saw the movie and didn't know that the pirate character was referring to Jack Sparrow. Of course, while Burchill's been out, the sequel came out and drew almost $400 mil, so it should be interesting to see if the gimmick makes a return.

Never mind the promotion itself pushed how physically fit both guys were. Hell, there's a damn training segment on their old Coliseum Video release.
Someone on TSM said it best (and I can't believe I just said that): Meltzer: Great scoops, shitty opinions. I mean, never mind that being workout gurus and gym rats were part of the Bulldogs' gimmick and character. Then again, Meltz is the same guy who thought the Stratus-James WM22 match was a carry-job by Stratus.

Meltz has as many good/bad opinions as the rest of us. The problem is that because of his newsletter, his opinions become those of a great deal of readers, and often influence who gets into the WON Hall of Fame.

Meltz has as many good/bad opinions as the rest of us.  The problem is that because of his newsletter, his opinions become those of a great deal of readers, and often influence who gets into the WON Hall of Fame.

True, but when he gives opinions like a 2:30 women's match being the best women's match of the year, or the Bulldogs-Monsoon comment, he almost comes across as someone who doesn't understand the industry which he covers to make a living. Yeah, we all have bad opinions (I could probably find something I said in the past, and then wonder why I had that opinion) but when Meltz has really odd opinions and comments like those, they're quite the contrast to the superb work he does in finding news that most others only have a clue about afterwards.

Guest Primo Matarazzo

Well, saying he can't critique Monsoon's announcing just because he's dead is ridiculous, even if you don't agree with what he's saying.

I don't think he's saying he "can't" criticize Monsoon, it's just sort of petty to still be doing it a friggin' decade after his passing. You gotta let it go some time.

And lemme get this straight: there's a guy with a PIRATE gimmick? And it was BEFORE PotC2 was released? Wow. "Makes me glad I retired."

He also thought some 2:30 match between Trish and Melina was the best women's match of the year.

That isn't really that surprising given that he doesn't watch Shimmer or joshi.

I don't think he's saying he "can't" criticize Monsoon, it's just sort of petty to still be doing it a friggin' decade after his passing. You gotta let it go some time.

I'd agree if I thought the criticism was malicious, but I think people are reading too much into a throwaway remark in his daily update.