Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the List: 100-51

Grimmas

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had Tajiri at #74. I think he's one of the best wrestlers in not only ECW history, but also WWE. I also have so much respect for guys who can get over in the states without talking. I also send my friends (graps fans or no) .GIFs of him misting eddy Guerrero from inside that low rider's trunk on a semi-daily basis.

Yours,

JHHBjr

Hey, I saw Angle do fake MMA in a cage with Samoa Joe in TNA once. And I am not a fan of real MMA, but I quite enjoy fake MMA. I look forward to revisiting him at some point. I wonder if the pendulum has gone too far in the other direction. Why can't anyone see him as a good wrestler who never quite became great because of his penchant for excess? He's either an all-time great or a waste of space.

I'll defend KOTR '01 as a ****1/2 classic if you apply a "shoot psychology" to it. Kurt and Shane negotiated the spots the way that they did because they couldn't stand each other. "He did that chain wrestling spot where he beat me, I'm totally gonna sandbag him on the suplexes through the glass." Two men who cooperated in having a match in which they did things that only people who hate each other would do.

Glad to see Tajiri make it to 81. Seems like the right spot for him.

Surprised about Piper ranking. Thought he was good in Portland and very inconsistent in the WWF. I've only seen the Valentine dog collar match in JCP. I need to see some more of those years.

I know Angle and Taker can be the drizzling shits, but I think the highs are pretty damned high (especially Angle's "It's True" early run) and that Taker, especially, should be given credit for getting such a ludicrously stupid character over to the degree that many marks consider him THE wrestler amongst wrestlers. If you voted for Andre and think a vote for Taker is completely asinine, you're probably an old Skool fetishist. Angle definitely lost his way, but was a prodigious talent and doesn't deserve the scarlet letter with which he's been stitched. GWE list candidate? Nah. But worst wrestler ever candidate? Definitely nah.

Yours,

JHHBjr

Honestly I feel this entire batch was people where even if they aren't where I had them it's really easy to agree with their ranking based on a certain point of view and there's nothing mysterious there. All of these feel like fairly sensible choices from the kind of people that would vote for them.

You know who is quietly going to finish really well? Dustin Rhodes.

If you think about it, he's got Joe, Nakamura, Sombra, Biff, just to name a few upcoming, plus I imagine he could pull out a better match with Balor than anyone on the roster. He has so many new and interesting match ups over the next couple of years.

Could easily see him giving Crews and Swann the matches of their careers. If he and Kalisto were put together, same. And then he still has PPV matches that haven't happened with Ambrose, Reigns, Rollins, Rusev, Styles, and Zayn. They could even get CRAZY and put him in a PPV program with Cena.

I don't know, I can think of quite a few examples of otherwise good wrestlers not fitting somewhere. Vader in WWF is a shadow compared to everything else, Lawler wrestled in Japan a little and looked pretty lost compared to his norm, El Dandy in WCW became a misinformed early internet meme, Dusty Rhodes never quite fit in Japan either, Dick Togo in WWF Kaientai basically has nothing of note. etc etc

It's not just a case of not fitting. Doc was actively shit in WCW for stretches at a time.

Maybe without Watts and Ted there to hold his hand some of his limitations were exposed a bit more. Booking didn't help.

I don't think the 92 run is that great either. Chinlock city.

Actually, I'd take both the Doc and Ted team and the Williams and Ace team over Doc and Gordy any day of the the week. See the MVC as low points in both of their careers, ironically given how cool that team sounds and was always hyped to be.

I'd have to really think about that. There are so many guys that you can make a case for 85-100 or are they a "second hundred" guy. It's hard for me to mentally separate those two years and give you a real objective answer, but I lean to thinking probably not because there are guys that I cut who would have more going for them probably.