Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the List: 100-51

Grimmas

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve Williams is more akin to the aforementioned "one year wonder" narrative than Rude, I think. Maybe it's more like "2 territory wonder" for Williams, as I only rate his AJ run and parts of his UWF stuff. Doc made my top 200 (I made a list of 250, initially) but I didn't really consider him for GWE.

Now if we were listing favorites, Dr. Death is top 50 easily. Still a huge mark for all his signature spots and mannerisms.

Yours,

JHHBjr

Tanahashi's placement should end the debate about whether the anonymous/leecher votes would change the results about this poll in a significant way. I mean, if there is one guy that should've gotten a big boost out of a "non PWO" vote was him and he only made half the ballots. And 93.2% of the voters "considered Mainstream Japanese Wrestling (AJPW, NJPW, etc...)" when submitting their list.

I had him at 50 but I'm happy with his ranking. How many post 2000's guys are left besides Angle, Joe, Punk, AJ and Bryan?

Cena. Brock.

Hey, I saw Angle do fake MMA in a cage with Samoa Joe in TNA once. And I am not a fan of real MMA, but I quite enjoy fake MMA. I look forward to revisiting him at some point. I wonder if the pendulum has gone too far in the other direction. Why can't anyone see him as a good wrestler who never quite became great because of his penchant for excess? He's either an all-time great or a waste of space.

One fix to BIGLAV I should have made is a special negative category where I get to stick minus points on people for various things. Someone like Taker would end up on a negative overall score.

This is one thing I keep forgetting to mention.

You keep shitting on Taker for all the crap but he did make your Top 105 or whatever because BIGLAV didn't factor in negatives. Well I'm the same, the JIMBOB system doesn't really factor in negatives either. I focused on positives - their best work, peaks, positive attributes, lists of great matches, etc. - and didn't worry so much about anyone's negatives or bad periods. If I did, assholes like Hunter and Angle would have fucked right off.

I'm not saying Taker would have fucked off my list if I did, in fact I'm almost certain he'd have been on my list anyway, mainly because you and I just disagree markedly on how much bad stuff there is and how bad it really was (not to mention how good the good stuff is). But I'm just saying that when you say things like "he had some good stuff but simply mountains of crap, how can you rank him?" I'm saying I didn't think in that framework at all when making my list. I focused on the good stuff.

Williams looked real good real early in the Houston footage. I wonder if that helped him with abut one.

It helped him with me. The Gordy Texas Death Match, getting a good Chain Match out of Angel of Death, the Dibiase tags added to the stuff from the 80s set convinced me to place him. And him pressing Eddie Gilbert over his head and then running in place will always be one of the most impressive spots in wrestling.

Hey, I saw Angle do fake MMA in a cage with Samoa Joe in TNA once. And I am not a fan of real MMA, but I quite enjoy fake MMA. I look forward to revisiting him at some point. I wonder if the pendulum has gone too far in the other direction. Why can't anyone see him as a good wrestler who never quite became great because of his penchant for excess? He's either an all-time great or a waste of space.

I ranked him, and I see him more as a guy who was an ultimately flawed wrestler who showed far too many flashes of greatness.

That's a very good question. I've always liked him and was surprised at all the hate he got, especially when he started to get lumped in with guys like Triple H. He may not be the smartest worker but dog shit terrible seems a bit harsh.

Watch that match with AJ I posted a page or so ago and you will see why he gets so much hate. Its beyond excess into parody.

Watch that match with AJ I posted a page or so ago and you will see why he gets so much hate. Its beyond excess into parody.

The Jeff Hardy match at No Surrender 2010 is worse. That moves beyond parody into...a match consisting entirely of finishers. I had to count them just to make sure I wasn't dreaming and there are like at least 17 finishers in the match.