Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the List: 100-51

Grimmas

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After Tito, today has kind of been a murderer's row of guys who were talented and maybe even great for a time, who also come across as badly exposed post footage explosion. I'd regard all of them as overrated on the list (though I don't really mind any of them making it) and would be interested to know how many posters here agree.

Is there anyone else who values consistency as much as you do for this list, though? A guy like Williams is only "exposed" if you feel that the stinkers detract meaningfully from his case.

I view things with no demerits. Any given match I watch can only improve someone's standing. Except Inoki, I guess, where the suck is so powerful that it diminshes his best stuff.

Meanwhile, Hase matches leave me so cold. He's the japanese Dean Malenko.

For me Hase is low here. His case is both input and output, he has fantastic all-around skills, great charisma, and he's got the great matches and performances to his name.

I also think he's one of the most laser-focused workers I've ever seen. He picks a bodypart and then goes to town on it. And, unlike Bob Backlund, Hase has the personality and imagination to vary his offense enough to keep those attacks on that specific bodypart interesting and engaging.

To me -- a guy who is into really solid pro-wrestling wrestling fundamentals and the main-line of the US-Japanese history rather than various niches -- Hase embodies a close to perfect picture of what a pro wrestler can and should be. I continue to absolutely love the guy. My engagement with him before this project was limited to seeing him here and there, but he's definitely the guy I've come out of it loving the most. For people who are more like me -- who are into 80s NWA, old-school WWF, the territories and so on, and who like classic pro-wrestlers as epitomised by someone like an Arn Anderson -- Hase represents one of the most accessible entry points into Japanese wrestling that exists outside of All Japan.

I also believe he's one of the few Japanese guys with so much charisma that he could have easily made it in the US if given the chance -- I don't think it's any coincidence that NJ would ALWAYS send him to the WCW supershows. He just had that "X Factor". Fucking awesome little moustache too.

Last night I had the thought that while the influx of voters may have created some results that aren't necessarily representative of the views of many at PWO (Angle's high ranking, for instance), it may end up being sort of a blessing. This list will get sent around, and if it was just all of our favorites, it might get dismissed out of hand. Now that it has some great showings by both the widely accepted "greatest ever" and by some PWO favorites, it might lead to people genuinely looking in to wrestler's they might not have before.

I've considered this as well. It is the thing that will end up annoying me about Hogan's final place on the list. Since it will effect how Cena's place on the list is viewed.

Last night I had the thought that while the influx of voters may have created some results that aren't necessarily representative of the views of many at PWO (Angle's high ranking, for instance), it may end up being sort of a blessing. This list will get sent around, and if it was just all of our favorites, it might get dismissed out of hand. Now that it has some great showings by both the widely accepted "greatest ever" and by some PWO favorites, it might lead to people genuinely looking in to wrestler's they might not have before.

I've considered this as well. It is the thing that will end up annoying me about Hogan's final place on the list. Since it will effect how Cena's place on the list is viewed.

It never even occurred to me that Hogan could finish above Cena on this list, but it's starting to look alarmingly possible.

I fully think Hogan could appear on more ballots than Cena, at least.

It never even occurred to me that Hogan could finish above Cena on this list, but it's starting to look alarmingly possible.

I fully think Hogan could appear on more ballots than Cena, at least.

Hogan is on both the revisionist platform and the kayfabe big star platform.

Cena is on the great match platform and the revisionist platform and the kayfabe big star platform.

I think he'll be ok.

Think I was the high vote for Hase in 2006 as well. Lots of charisma, lots of talent, lots of great matches. The Muta bloodbath was one of the first Puro matches I ever watched, absolutely blew me away despite my high expectations coming in because of its notoriety. Came for the blood and gore, left thinking it was a beautiful match in general, and the blade job wasn't wasted as it really added to the emotion and excitement. Played it again a few weeks ago and it still hold up. He is far too low.

Hard to believe Hogan has actually managed to rise ten places since 2006, given all this footage that has apparently surfaced in the meantime.

Hard to believe Hogan has actually managed to rise ten places since 2006, given all this footage that has apparently surfaced in the meantime.

Probably because that availability of footage helped him too. People got to see his best WWF house show matches and his AWA run.

Jericho seems like he might be the guy who benefits most from a bunch of anonymous, non-PWO votes. His discussion thread is full of criticism and people saying why they won't rank him but he is going to finish inside the top 75 now.

Folks bitch about SO MANY other wrestlers. Yet. Jericho has yet to drop.

Hogan is better than Jericho. And Angle.

lol

Well, he's better than Jericho. But not by much.

I guess Angle is better than Hogan if your idea of great wrestling is a 10 minute finishing stretch of finisher/kick out & lay on the mat 30 seconds/repeat.

Folks bitch about SO MANY other wrestlers. Yet. Jericho has yet to drop.

I can sort of accept Kurt Angle and Chris Jericho because for almost two decades they have been considered incredible in ring wrestlers by the majority of the internet wrestling community. I don't agree personally, and nor do many people here, but they either speak to people or people have been conditioned to accept them as wonderful workers.

Whereas someone like Hogan has been pretty much accepted as a poor toaverage worker from all sides - even the praise tends to focus on his charisma and character and the way his big matches are structured. So it seems far more strange to see him so high.