Pro Wrestling Only

UFC 203: Because CM Punk is finally fighting

goc

The Colt thing is really shitty on his part. Maybe you should be nice to the guy you got sued and who spent a lot of money on legal fees because of you. But Punk really just comes across like a spoiled manchild so it doesn't surprise me.

Certainly Punk is a prick for cutting off contact completely (if that's all that happened between the two), but I don't know...if you're involved in a lawsuit that is at least tacitly supported by a company, maybe don't hang out backstage like nothing's wrong?

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More from Corey Graves:

Don't forget ya'll, I actually knew how to fight BEFORE I got to TV. ??

— Corey Graves (@WWEGraves) June 10, 2018

Dude, I've texted him no less than a dozen times. If you avoid truth long enough, you can write your one narrative, I guess? ????? https://t.co/eNSMxksGUP

?? Punk would rip you apart.

— Tobias Cunningham (@saibot24) June 10, 2018

Wanna bet? https://t.co/3v1Nftp6jp

I'll fight him.

(Sorry about the weird ?? marks. I'm pasting from Wrestling Inc. and the emojis are not translating.)

If this isn't a work, it's really sad. As prickly and ornery as Punk is, I despise this infantile millennial mentality of airing your shit out on Twitter instead of man-to-man (granted, Punk is ignoring Graves' texts). I've told the story before about getting blocked by the shame of Haku's loins, Tama "Toddler" Tonga, because I disagreed with him criticizing J.R.'s commentary on Twitter instead of being a fucking adult and handling his business face-to-face.

But we're probably being suckered into another Booker T work. Remember Brock and Taker at a UFC event? Workers gonna work.

One of the unofficial online scorers had the second round as 10-*7*, which I've never even heard of in an MMA fight.

There was actually a recorded fight where rounds were scored lower,

UFC Fight Night 6 Aug 17, 2006

Welterweight Forrest Petz def. Sam Morgan

Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–26, **30–23**)

As for Punk's performance I have to say would Takada now be considered a better legitimate fighter? I mean Takada looked bad but at least looked like he had some ability out there where Punk literally looked as if he hadn't trained more than a few sessions after 4 YEARS at a top level MMA camp.

I feel like I could train for a year and probably take Punk the distance or even beat him. I would just need some built up muscle mass for strength and cardio training with some formal training in there. I do have a background in martial arts with some grappling though. Like I said, I have friends that do it as a hobby and fight a couple times a year and I feel like they would destroy him. I don't feel like I could have done that to Takada.

The Colt thing is really shitty on his part. Maybe you should be nice to the guy you got sued and who spent a lot of money on legal fees because of you. But Punk really just comes across like a spoiled manchild so it doesn't surprise me.

Certainly Punk is a prick for cutting off contact completely (if that's all that happened between the two), but I don't know...if you're involved in a lawsuit that is at least tacitly supported by a company, maybe don't hang out backstage like nothing's wrong?

I don't know. I'll get a dog if I want something to do exactly what I want. It just seems like a really shitty thing to do to someone you've been friends with for so long.

Dana White took a massive verbal shit all over Mike Jackson after the last fight. Something about not trying to end the fight at all and never being in the UFC again.

Well, this is what White said afterwards;

After going to 0-2 in the UFC, Punk will not receive another shot, according to the organisation's president, Dana White.

"No, it should be a wrap," White said. "The guy [Punk] is 39 years old. I love the guy and he's the nicest guy in the world. We gave him two shots and he had a lot of heart tonight but I think he should call it a wrap."

As for Jackson, White was furious with his display because, on several occasions, the finish looked on for 'The Truth' but he didn't display any urgency or any desire to put Punk away, which prompted a tongue-in-cheek theory from commentator Joe Rogan that Jackson had been paid off to make the bout go the full three rounds.

White insisted that Jackson's UFC career was also done, claiming that he "wouldn’t even put that kid in the Contender Series."

"Michael Jackson I’m not happy with," White added. "This guy was acting like a goofball tonight. You get this opportunity to come in and fight CM Punk, and you’re doing, like, bolo punches to the body on top. Never looked like he was trying to finish the fight ever. Looked like he could have finished the fight a few times. Never tried!

"I don’t know what that guy did for a living before we gave him the shot, but whatever it was, he needs to go back and do that again. He’s 0-2 as far as I’m concerned.

"I got the sense that he’s a complete fucking idiot and I couldn’t wait for that fight to end and I regretted not putting that fight on Fight Pass. That’s how I felt about it."

Cabana never visited backstage after Amann filed the lawsuit. He went to dinner with two friends from the roster when they were in town.

I don't give Punk much slack at all on this issue, but coming out of the trial, I *am* curious when he would have started to get discovery like the text between Amann and other wrestlers, messages. Maybe that got the ball rolling on him completely freezing out any remaining friends in WWE?

Chicago Man Phil couldn't even beat a lined up Palooka Joe. He is a meme. Unquestionably.. the very worst fighter I have ever seen in the UFC. I don't think I can take him seriously anymore. I only ever saw his ECW run so I am and never was that attached to the man. I don't think I could watch his stuff anymore. I know I could beat his ass in real life. I had my doubts about him in mma when I heard about Teddy Hart kicking his ass in TNA.

We're way beyond credibility being tremendously important in professional wrestling, but how do you lose to a rank amateur in an MMA contest and then ever present that you have any credibility as a wrestling champion? He looks like any heavyweight with the slightest legitimate credential would eat him for lunch.

Like I said, I know guys that do amateur MMA as a hobby that would eat Punk alive.

I'm not even saying it to be a tough guy. I have done martial arts and some grappling in my younger days. I have some athletic ability on my side. Give me a year to train and I think I would have a fair chance against Punk. That's the level of incompetence I saw on Saturday.

Like I said, I know guys that do amateur MMA as a hobby that would eat Punk alive.

I'm not even saying it to be a tough guy. I have done martial arts and some grappling in my younger days. I have some athletic ability on my side. Give me a year to train and I think I would have a fair chance against Punk. That's the level of incompetence I saw on Saturday.

I believe you. I spent most of my youth kickboxing before losing interest in it and then moving on to traditional western boxing. I'd never be able to compete above 'smart' matchmaking level but I know what I can do. With all the time Punk had to train.. he never even mastered basics. His punches and kicks were some of the worst I have ever seen and he wasn't much use on the floor either.

His punches were god awful and part of the reason he gassed out in 3 minutes. His takedown attempts were also absolutely pathetic. It's like he stopped the second he made contact, there was no ppp there whatsoever. I never thought he was an athlete but he has zero athletic ability.

I never say stuff like I said above.. but I'd kick his ass. I know I'd kick his ass.

Have you ever grappled? Seriously, if you haven't done any grappling, he'd probably take you down and tap you in the first round.

I don't know how anyone watched that first fight and thought Punk had any business in the cage with a professional fighter. He decided to become fighter at a time of life when most fighters are thinking about their exit strategy, and that is before we take into consideration all of his previous injuries. He's never been a good athlete, which is a huge detriment when you are trying to be a professional athlete. The amount of arrogance it takes for a dude who never even wrestled in high school to believe that he'd be able to be a professional fighter in his mid-to-late 30s is legitimately insane. It is like someone who never played football deciding to becoming a NFL quarterback. It is incredibly stupid for anyone to believe he'd be able to do it. I honestly don't know how he got past the licensing board.

There is a huge lack of respect for how good these guys are at fighting. I remember someone telling me that they thought Alberto Del Rio could beat Conor McGregor in a fight. These aren't just dudes off the street, getting drunk and fighting in a bar. These are serious athletes who train up to 8 hours a day to become better fighters. The amount of talent, athleticism and skill that it takes to be an elite MMA fighter is so much higher than anyone gives them credit for. People really believe that random assholes who used to do Tae-Bo can compete with professional fighters. Stop it.

The link doesn't appear to be working.

Tried to find the interview on the actual website but gave up, that site is a complete mess.

The board did something wonky to the link.

Try this: https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/exclusives/exclusive-corey-graves-explains-his-cm-punk-related-tweets-fightful

I'll correct my original post and hope it sticks.

I never say stuff like I said above.. but I'd kick his ass. I know I'd kick his ass.

Have you ever grappled? Seriously, if you haven't done any grappling, he'd probably take you down and tap you in the first round.

He'd have a job on.

I'd like to see Phil fight Joe Rogan or one of the scrubs in the womens divisions.

He'd have a job on.

I'd like to see Phil fight Joe Rogan or one of the scrubs in the womens divisions.

This is how I describe grappling to people who have no experience. Grappling is like reading. If you've never grappled, it is like not knowing the alphabet. You don't know enough to know what you don't know. A white belt in jiu jitsu is like a first grader who can read "See Spot Run." He isn't good at reading, but he knows infinitely more about reading than someone who doesn't know his "A, B, C's." A blue belt is like a middle school honors student. There really isn't much you can put in front of him that he can't read and understand. A purple belt has graduated from high school and has his choice of what colleges to go to. A brown belt has graduated from college, and is looking to get a post graduated degree. A black belt is a Ph.D and there are even levels to that. When I first started grappling, I used to goof off with my friends and I could hit a side choke on all of them with little to no trouble. The number one reason why, because they didn't know that it was something they should have even been defending. I was a 1st grader, they didn't know the alphabet.

Not really knowing anything about MMA, I can't comment too much on Punks skills (or lack thereof), but from my limited understanding, it was clearly going to be a long shot right from the start. Unlike some guys in wrestling that have a background in a discipline that could have translated to some success, or could have given them any sort of base to work from - be it an olympic background, high school amateur wrestling, kick boxing, judo, karate etc. etc. - as far as I could tell, Punk didn't really have anything that would help him try and make that leap - unless people here more informed know of anything?

Fair play to him for giving it a try though. I know he's been paid well - but he's still tried to do something where getting punched in the face for real is an occupational hazard, so he gets my respect for that. Where he goes from here of course is anyone's guess. What with the trail he's been involved in, it feels like a guy who could quite easily never want anything to do with wrestling ever again.