Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

Nitro is a really fun show, though. Outside of the Hogan heavy bullshit weeks. Even at first with Hogan, it's real fun stuff. There's a real lull between January-March 1996 but then it kicks back into high gear as soon as Hogan stops being the focus and the Eddie/Benoit/Malenko group gets back from Japan. Flair/Macho is wonderful stuff, the Sting/Lex angle and partnership is great, the Steiners are back and throwing dudes around, Giant is awesome when he's not around Hogan, Regal is getting a lot of TV time, crowds are hot, production is great. Love 1992/1993 Saturday Nights. There's some occasional wonky booking stuff but not really any weirder or dumber than any other promotion.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Mongo parody account on Twitter got taken down/deactivated, which is a shame, because it was evident by looking at a single post that it was not meant maliciously at all, and in fact did a lot of reintroduce Mongo to current fans. We have fucking Disco Inferno talking shit about how that page was disrespectful. Even Disco's mom and his kids would not make a loving parody account for fucking Disco Inferno 

I swear Disco Inferno is the most mystifying person in wrestling.  Dude acts like he was some kind of megastar when his greatest claim to fame was being a mid card comedy geek at a time where WCW had like a thousand people under contract.

I have the next installment of my IWE History series just about done, but I have a question that's got me stumped and I want to field it by you guys before I put out the post. Does anybody know the name of the original second Cuban Assassin, who teamed with the other one (Ángel Acevedo) in the 70s? They had a two-month reign with the Stampede International Tag Team titles, but most of what I can find about this guy starts and stops with the gimmick name. His Showa Puroresu minibio renders his real name in katakana, but I'm ashamed to admit that I cannot parse what his surname is supposed to be. Frank "Seabranson"? (And no, it's not the David Canal/Fidel Sierra version of the Cuban Assassin who worked in WCW and NJPW.)

It's Frank Seebransingh, who is now a preacher.

https://www.facebook.com/WordAblazeMinistriesDrSeebransingh/

His bio on that page reads in part as follows:

Although born in Trinidad, he lived in Canada all of his adult life. Dr. Seebransingh pursued a career in amateur and professional sports. He excelled in soccer, tennis, bodybuilding, amateur and professional wrestling. It was his career in wrestling that brought world fame to Frank and his partner as "The Cuban Assassins".

After years of world travel and many successful heavy weight wrestling bouts, "The Cuban Assassins" captured every Major Heavyweight Championship Belts, including the North American and the International Championship Belt.

As we're getting into BATB 96 in our Nitro Party, I'm just imaging how fucking terrible this angle would have been in the WWF at the time. At BATB, you don't know who the third man is. Gene says the voice rang somewhere in his head, but it was muffled and he couldn't quite place it. So it's someone Gene's been associated with, which is basically everyone in WWF or WCW. Lex goes out in the first few minutes, and you're kind of on edge that he's the third man, because he's been a heel or tweener despite the partnership and friendship with Sting since he returned to WCW before the last month or two. But then you wonder, well shit, did Sting do it on purpose? Is HE the third man? BUT THEN, Randy Savage was from the WWF, too...is he the third man? 

The subtle paranoia just in the match itself is excellent and there's not a single bit of it played up on commentary. I can only imagine Vince and Jerry Lawler calling the WWF version of this match, where the WCW guys would be cartoony stooges who aren't a physical threat at all but just use every cheap heat tactic imaginable and within a month HBK would be lining them up and superkicking them one by one. Basically the Invasion but even worse. And Team WCW would have been like....Marc Mero, Sid, and the third man would have to be, idk, Undertaker? Boy would it have been terrible.

14 minutes ago, strobogo said:

The subtle paranoia just in the match itself is excellent and there's not a single bit of it played up on commentary.

Except for the famous "BUT WHO'S SIDE IS HE ON?" from Bobby Heenan when Hogan came out, which was 100% in character for a guy who literally had most of his career based around feuding with Hulk so of course *he* would be the one person to let the paranoia seep through. 

"Joey Janela got himself kicked out of a Seminole County school board meeting last night for what appeared to be trolling the people involved. Janela was at the meeting, where he ran into Drake Wuertz, and noted on Twitter that he was kicked out after five minutes."

I can't make heads nor tails out of this....https://411mania.com/wrestling/joey-janela-kicked-out-of-school-board-meeting-for-trolling-with-anti-mask-rant/

7 hours ago, PeteF3 said:

I still think Bobby should have been coached to say, "I never thought I'd actually be happy to see him."

Disagree. Bobby was paranoid that Tony or Dusty could be part of it, too. He didn't trust ANYONE. Dusty is the one that had a bad reaction, but an understandable wtf Bobby kind of one if he didn't know Brain was going to say something like that.

I wouldn't want him having my back in a fight and I have no interest in seeing him in a wrestling ring, but he seems like a swell guy. To be honest, though, I think he felt compelled to do something like this to make it clear he hadn't really gone QAnon. He seemed taken aback by how many people fell for an obvious troll job. Poe's Law in action.

Cheers. Never in a million years did I think NZ would end up being test match champions. It makes up for my childhood devastation of losing the 1992 World Cup semi. Finally, I can Rest in Peace (snort.) I am pretty confident that India are the best side in the world, but there are other mountains for NZ to climb. There are a couple of test match series we'd love to win. And, of course, that limited overs trophy. 

Did ECW ever have a signature match? Examples of what I’m talking about is NWA/WCW had Wargames, WWF/E had the Royal Rumble and Hell In A Cell, TNA/Impact had Lethal Lockdown and Ultimate X, etc. I know they used triple threat/3 way dance matches a lot, that’s the closest thing I can think of but I’m not an ECW expert by any means.