Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

Jesse Ventura was on Jericho's podcast this week. Jesse telling Jericho how if he was a security guy at the Capitol during January 6th he would have ended the people carrying confederate flags is hilarious.  Jericho is so uncomfortable. 

In my mind I was hoping he would have said, " If I'd seen yer old lady I would have popped a cap in her ass, like the Frogman I am."

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone ever experience the Mandela effect with a match? It happened to me with Rick Rude vs. Ricky Steamboat at Superbrawl. I vividly remembered a spot where Rude hit Steamboat with a left-armed clothesline outside the ring and then sold his arm because it was the arm Steamboat had been working over. When I rewatched it recently, it turns out the spot took place inside the ring and was shot at a completely different angle from what I remembered. The spot on the outside at the correct angle was Rude guillotining Steamboat on the guardrail. I have no idea how I conflated the two in my head.

1 hour ago, NintendoLogic said:

Anyone ever experience the Mandela effect with a match? It happened to me with Rick Rude vs. Ricky Steamboat at Superbrawl. I vividly remembered a spot where Rude hit Steamboat with a left-armed clothesline outside the ring and then sold his arm because it was the arm Steamboat had been working over. When I rewatched it recently, it turns out the spot took place inside the ring and was shot at a completely different angle from what I remembered. The spot on the outside at the correct angle was Rude guillotining Steamboat on the guardrail. I have no idea how I conflated the two in my head.

I always remember the Adnan/Brody/Abdullah beatdown of Jerry Blackwell after the June 1984 St Paul Battleroyal being much longer than it actually is, at least the actual beating itself is.

Every time I watch it on video again, that thought hits me.

14 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Mr. Wonderful was completely justified. 

I agree. I never liked Hogan to begin with, but I found it highly humorous at the time that even in the storyline, Orndorff had perfectly valid issues with Hogan. Quite honestly, Hogan was a terrible friend to most of his allies in storylines.

9 minutes ago, sek69 said:

I remember being a kid at the height of Hulkamania and feeling like I was weird one that despite being squarely in the target demo, I thought Hulk was a gigantic asshole to everyone. 

I didn’t like Hogan one little bit, either. I think it was partially because a lot of his appeal was to Americans and younger kids in the 1980s and of course I’m Canadian and was in my mid-teens, so the whole “Real American” thing didn’t appeal to me. But I had friends who I used to go to the shows with, and they were diehard Hulkamaniacs. I was a Jake “The Snake” guy. And I am somewhat ashamed to admit, The Ultimate Warrior too.

We did not get NWA here, so we had no choice but to watch nothing but WWF. I only knew about the other stuff from the Apter mags. But yeah in general, the appeal of Hulk Hogan was totally lost on me. He was a big part of the reason that as soon as I could watch another product, I did. I only started to appreciate him as a performer when he turned heel.

I was a Jake the Snake and Macho Man kid. My earliest memories of wrestling was watching NWA 6:05 Saturday shows with my grandpap, but when I saw Macho make his WWF debut with the colorful-ass robes that's when I was like "yup, this wrestling thing is for me".

I didn't really like Hogan as a kid either, although I was enthralled by his big matches, like against Orndorff in the cage on SNME and Mania 3 vs Andre. I loved the Bulldogs, Tito Santana, Ricky Steamboat, Piper, and Owen Hart in Stampede. Later I became a huge Savage fan and the whole Megapowers exploding deal actually led to me losing interest in wrestling for a while because I was disillusioned Savage was turned heel because of it

This has to be the best "history/legacy of WWF" video package in history, right. 2000s WWE video packages used to be seriously next level. Dunno when Adam the video guy retired or lost his touch, but it's just not the same now

I don't remember his name, but the guy who was doing all those great videos package quit the company sometime in the mid 00's or something, wanted to do something different with his life, then ended up in TNA as a director shortly after. 

Kid Rock is the shits though. Nothing apart from Limp Bizkit screams more "shitty early 00's crackers music" than this.

4 hours ago, El-P said:

Kid Rock is the shits though. Nothing apart from Limp Bizkit screams more "shitty early 00's crackers music" than this.

It certainly didn't age well, but that was the perfect music for 00s WWE at the time. 

7 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

David Sahadi, I believe.

Thanks, that's him ! Crazy to think he has basically worked for IMPACT since the mid 00's now. Which also explains why IMPACT has done some really cool thing in term of outside the ring production.

No idea if that was his work, but in 2014 they had some very good vignettes about SANADA in which he simply spoke Japanese and was subtitled, which is totally something that should be done today for people who don't speak English at all or well enough to cut promos. This would be so much better than mildly annoying "Penta says !" stuff for instance.

7 hours ago, El-P said:

Thanks, that's him ! Crazy to think he has basically worked for IMPACT since the mid 00's now. Which also explains why IMPACT has done some really cool thing in term of outside the ring production.

No idea if that was his work, but in 2014 they had some very good vignettes about SANADA in which he simply spoke Japanese and was subtitled, which is totally something that should be done today for people who don't speak English at all or well enough to cut promos. This would be so much better than mildly annoying "Penta says !" stuff for instance.

Surprisingly, the reason I know about him is because of Bruce Prichard and to a lesser degree, Jim Cornette. One of the few things that Bruce Prichard once said on his podcast that I actually believe, is that David Sahadi was the man primarily responsible for so many of those great video packages that we saw in the WWF over the years. Jim Cornette has always said that the production and video packages that WWF did were so much better than anybody else in the industry, and he also gave credit to David Sahadi. I don’t remember the actual episode, but I distinctly remember Bruce Prichard saying that when David Sahadi left WWE it was a huge loss and they’ve never been as good since. I guess Prichard and Cornette both ended up working with Sahadi in TNA. I remember them both praising his work there, as well.

1 hour ago, Embrodak said:

Something about WWE using terrible music for most of their video packages makes them better, it’s surreal. Imagine Dragons are absolute dogshit, but that “Monster” Daniel Bryan video for Wrestlemania was stellar.

Not very in touch with American pop culture scene of the early 00s, but I sometimes think Limp Bizkit got famous - or at least, maintained their fame - because of WWE. No way they become as famous as they did without WWE just deciding that LB was their band