TravJ1979

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 7/29/2022 at 4:58 PM, ohtani's jacket said:

Yeah, he did that weird thing on NXT commentary where he name dropped as many Smiths songs as he could. He did something similar with Depeche Mode. 

Regal was a fan of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal in general.

Wonder if Jericho gets along with Regal over their love of heavy metal at least.

Y’know, I may be on an island where I actually kinda prefer Dean Ambrose to Jon Moxley. Dean’s wacky antics were incredibly tiresome and annoying, but I honestly buy them more than Moxley trying to be badass and bloodthirsty. Plus his physique is just asymptotically better the closer you get to when he was riding with The Shield.

I can't lie, there is a part of me that wonders how Dean Ambrose would fair in a post-Vince WWE. His biggest gripe was his absolute hatred of scripted promos, and one of the tidbits that have leaked out is that Hunter was way looser with the scripting, if he would have been less miserable.

There's also the part of me that realizes that no matter what I would prefer, it's quite apparent that being Jon Moxley is the best thing for Johnathan Good the person. WWE was way too toxic an environment for someone with his personality.

Perusing some of “Road Dogg” Brian James recent interviews and social media activity and it struck me: who would have ever guessed that the pilled up, drugged out, perpetually stoned, jealous, bitter version of Road Dogg would end up being more likeable than his new, clean and sober persona? Most people who have serious drug issues and come out the other side, end up having to go through a period of serious self examination, introspection and ultimately you would think…self improvement. Having gone through something like this, I would have thought it is impossible to end up getting through it without being at least somewhat more self-aware. Not the D-O-Double-G. It seems like every time the man opens his mouth, something stupid comes out. There’s no way around it, really. The man is clearly an asshole.

Yeah and he’s continued to degrade from there. The constant sniping at AEW and Tony Khan is just embarrassing. Say what you want about Jim Cornette, but he craps on AEW because he legitimately doesn’t like it. Brian James is acting like a child, as you said. It’s like when you read something cringeworthy that somebody wrote, and you are almost embarrassed on their behalf for not having the self-awareness to realize that they are making themselves look like a fool. I would have thought that his publicly supporting that weird orange coloured conspiracy theorist referee who got fired from NXT was his low point…but, nope.

14 hours ago, sek69 said:

Imagine us telling our 1996 selves that in 2022 one half of the New Age Outlaws would still be part of an entertaining act, and how wrong our younger selves be if they tried to guess which one. 

They were both basically useless in TNA, but Billy Gunn was funny for a minute or two when he was paired up with the Beautiful People. I don't think Road Dogg did anything worthwhile after the NAO. Which is kinda sad because he was actually quite good, but his issues really damaged him.

I do remember at one point he was a producer on Smackdown and some people were all "He's an Armstrong that's why Smackdown is so great right now", which in itself makes no sense (because he's "an Armstrong" says nothing about his actual producing abilities) and was forgetting that Vince was the one making the decisions anyway. That being said, he worked at production during Flair's last match show alongside the IMPACT team, and if anything good can be said about the show, is that it was well produced. Apparently he's gonna be at the next IMPACT show in the same capacity, so maybe he can bring something positive to the table, who knows. His social media game and interviews have been extremely cringeworthy.

14 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Man I always thought Billy Gunn was cooler.

Billy Gunn, in my eyes, is an all-timer when it comes to tag team wrestling. Dude got over three different times in three different teams with three different partners in three different eras. The Smoking Gunns, The New Age Outlaws & Billy & Chuck. That's... that's just impressive. He just wasn't a great singles competitor because he was never a great talker & is kind of boring. His strength was always his impressive athleticism, especially for his deceptively huge size. 

No one ever really talks about Billy Gunn when talking about tag team wrestling. There's been a ton of great teams over the years, from different eras, but even when you look at teams like the Rock N' Roll Express or whatever, dudes like Robert Gibson weren't doing anything like what Billy could do.

You could argue The Smoking Gunns were only over because they were pushed in an era before kayfabe was dead. That the NAO were over due to their ties with D-X and the Road Dogg sing along introduction & that Billy & Chuck were over, at least partially, due to the unspoken gay aspect of the team. But they were all over & all featured Billy Gunn.

5 minutes ago, Coffey said:

Billy Gunn, in my eyes, is an all-timer when it comes to tag team wrestling. Dude got over three different times in three different teams with three different partners in three different eras. The Smoking Gunns, The New Age Outlaws & Billy & Chuck. That's... that's just impressive. He just wasn't a great singles competitor

I agree with you. Interestingly enough, I once saw an interview with Billy Gun years ago where he essentially said the same thing you did. He claimed that he came to a realization at one point that being a single wrestler just wasn’t his thing, and that he was never going to make it big as a solo act, and he ended up being OK with that because he really enjoyed being in tag teams.

1 hour ago, NintendoLogic said:

The least talented Armstrong is the one who became the biggest star and had the most enduring career. Go figure.

1 hour ago, El-P said:

Scott Armstrong became a big star ?

I believe the official rankings when it comes to Armstrongs should be:

1) Bullet Bob

2) Brad

3) Steve

4) Brian

5) Scott

Unless we count Stretch Armstrong as a member of the family, in which case I rank him under Bob but above everybody else.

(Not sure @El-P will get that joke. Did you guys have Stretch Armstrong in Europe when you were a kid?)

88E61AD8-1693-417A-A280-CE89F4D49DBD.jpeg

1 hour ago, Coffey said:

No one ever really talks about Billy Gunn when talking about tag team wrestling.

And the reason is : he never was that great. The Smoking Gunns were probably the best team he was a part of in term of pure work, and they were an pretty good tag team at best, at a time WWF was about the Godwinns, Men on a Mission and the likes. Not exactly much to talk about. And I liked the Gunns. Their peak probably came in 1996 when they turned heel and were managed by Sunny too, as it was the first time Billy really showcased some personality. 

The NAO was an intro. Most of the matches *sucked*, that's something people tend to forget. The audience was hot as hell for sing-along the intro, then sat on their asses while a boring match with the Head Bangers happened, Billy Gunn did a bunch of routine spots while JR talked about how he was the best pure athlete in WWF and then Road Dogg did his two or three routine spots and a finish. That was 90% of the NAO stuff. 

And Billy & Chuck, well, I guess the less said the better. Their peak was a "lol gay wedding" angle, which I guess was less offensive than most gay stuff up until then in the company, but then again, no one will confound Billy & Chuck for anything more than a questionable comedy tag team with zero notable matches to their resume.

So yeah, no one talks about him because, well, there's not much to talk about. He's been doing the same boring routine work since about 1999 too, although I guess his AEW work has been more entertaining than anything he did since the peak of the NAO.