Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

It didn't help Billy Gunn that his singles push started right as Rock was beginning his mega-babyface ascendancy. "'Bob" 'My name is Billy!' 'It doesn't matter what your name is'" killed him. And it was not even on Raw, and Billy Gunn actually came out and laid him out at the end of that promo, getting his heat back. It did not matter (no pun intended). Rock was just so much more charismatic and so much more of a star presence, Billy had no chance. 

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, El-P said:

Don't remember. I'm either too European or too young.

Lance Armstrong was the best heel ever though. Everyone saw through him, he was detested. 

I have this picture in my mind of you as a child, as an adult brings you a Stretch Armstrong toy, which you contemptuously hurl aside with an expression of disgust on your face, whilst shouting: “Don’t bring me this capitalist American toy! I want something new, and original!” And the young El-P remains unsatisfied until years later, when he finally gets his first Lucha Underground playset.

For the record, I did have a Stretch Armstrong toy. It was amusing for about half a day, until the novelty of having a stretchy rubber action figure wore off. Plus, mine split open eventually and some strange red goo began to leak out. Which one of my very strange little friends ate, because he thought it looked like strawberry jam.

15 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

“Don’t bring me this capitalist American toy! I want something new, and original!”

You have strange ideas about me. :D I was all about Transformers. And no, I did not realize the cartoon was basically a toy commercial.

7 minutes ago, El-P said:

You have strange ideas about me. :D I was all about Transformers. And no, I did not realize the cartoon was basically a toy commercial.

I missed the Transformers thing, I was too old to play with toys by the time they became popular I think. My kid brother had a million of them but all I can tell you about Transformers is that they hurt like hell when you stepped on one accidentally.

16 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

I can tell you about Transformers is that they hurt like hell when you stepped on one accidentally.

There you go. That's what we need : Transformers death-matches ! I mean, Lego death-match were a thing a few years back. Why the fuck not.

5 minutes ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

All time tag guys would be people like Eaton, Arn, Windham, Dustin, Morton, and then maybe a half step down guys like Martel and Tito. Is Billy Gunn really anywhere near that level? Is he a better tag guy than the Usos or FTR or Danielson or Claudio or the Fantastics or the Southern Boys or Tully?

I submit that FTR and Dax especially belong in that all time tier already. Might be a hot take, but I believe it.

24 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

Billy isn't even the best member of the Smoking Gunns. 

Now we're getting crazy. The only thing Bart ever did was get KTFO by Butterbean (which was a fucked up situation that wasn't his fault, but still). 

1 hour ago, NintendoLogic said:

Billy isn't even the best member of the Smoking Gunns. I feel like it'd be harder to list long-time tag wrestlers who are worse than him. Stevie Ray? Titus O'Neil? Crush? The Harris Brothers?

I would never compare the Smoking Gunns to the Hart Foundation in terms of match quality or tenure, but I don't think it's unreasonable to say that Billy Gunn was a better and more dynamic performer than Jim Neidhart.

I think Billy Gunn's lack of mic skills was really a major detriment to his career. Vince absolutely should have been ga-ga for him. The guy was decent enough looking, always in amazing shape, and he is ridiculously huge. 

He didn't always look it amongst the sea of monsters like Taker, Kane, and Big Show. But I was astonished when I was ring announcing and shared a dressing room with Billy at just how tall he was. 

He was decent enough in the ring on top of it. So I can really only think that not being able to talk in a time when managers had been phased out and guys like Austin and Rock were on top was what stopped Billy from getting a big singles run.

That probably played a part too. His promo skills basically came down to repeating the same two words.

Also, when Angle debut in late 99 and then the Radicals shows up (and the Dudleys, and the Hardy getting their first big push alongside E&C), guys like him (and Val Venis and a few others who had been pushed during the first part of the Attitude Era) are done. Much better and/or much more charismatic workers take the spots of the 97-99 crew. The New Age Outlaws as a super hot act lasted what ? A year and a half ?

18 hours ago, sek69 said:

Now we're getting crazy. The only thing Bart ever did was get KTFO by Butterbean (which was a fucked up situation that wasn't his fault, but still). 

People done been crazy. Trying to act like the only thing that matters is ring work... lol

23 hours ago, Coffey said:

His strength was always his impressive athleticism, especially for his deceptively huge size. 

This was a Jim Ross line back in the day, always talking about how athletic he was. Used to drive me crazy as the guy never did or showed anything athletic and his in ring work was average at best. 

While watching Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling episodes, I was often daydreaming during Angelo Mosca Sr. matches and his promos.

Could a wrestler who looks and talks like a badass, but whose matches are simpler, stand out to an audience more? Or help the other matches standout more because the previous match or wrestler is so different?

3 hours ago, chapstarfall said:

Could a wrestler who looks and talks like a badass, but whose matches are simpler, stand out to an audience more? Or help the other matches standout more because the previous match or wrestler is so different?

Goldberg says yes.