Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

Interesting "worlds colliding" moment for me right now: watching the local soccer boys Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC against the Indy Eleven, and the announcers used the mid game hydration break to discuss Pat McAfee beating Happy Corbin. The connection being Pat is apparently a Hounds fan and of course is a hero in Indy. 

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 8/6/2022 at 8:47 AM, Blehschmidt said:

I think Billy Gunn's lack of mic skills was really a major detriment to his career. Vince absolutely should have been ga-ga for him. The guy was decent enough looking, always in amazing shape, and he is ridiculously huge. 

He didn't always look it amongst the sea of monsters like Taker, Kane, and Big Show. But I was astonished when I was ring announcing and shared a dressing room with Billy at just how tall he was. 

He was decent enough in the ring on top of it. So I can really only think that not being able to talk in a time when managers had been phased out and guys like Austin and Rock were on top was what stopped Billy from getting a big singles run.

Ironically Billy Gunn is better on the mic in his environment and looks like a towering, tanned superhuman in AEW at age 58.

He oozes charisma based on his look and his work looks pretty tight (I liked his Darby feud).

I think he was overshadowed by Road Dogg's mic work and mannerisms, something than Anthony Bowens is dealing with with Max Caster at the moment.

On 8/4/2022 at 6:47 PM, The Thread Killer said:

Most people who have serious drug issues and come out the other side, end up having to go through a period of serious self examination, introspection and ultimately you would think…self improvement. Having gone through something like this, I would have thought it is impossible to end up getting through it without being at least somewhat more self-aware.

Except for...

On 8/4/2022 at 7:18 PM, The Thread Killer said:

that weird orange coloured conspiracy theorist referee who got fired from NXT

I've heard that some addicts replace one addiction with another.

I guess Road Dogg and Drake Wuertz are now addicted to being idiots.

33 minutes ago, C.S. said:

I've heard that some addicts replace one addiction with another.

Addiction is basically OCD. When you funnel all of your energy, concentration, resourcefulness, desperation, and every waking thought into your next drink, and that is removed from you, you'll find your energies etc are at a loose end. You sorta hafta dive into something, whether to distract you or to expend your energy. Whether that's AA, volunteer work or crystal meth just depends on the person and where they're at.

It's also losing your best friend, your constant companion in good times and bad who never judges you. I'm sure Drake and Roaddogg were already friends with "Being a Complete Fuckwit", and when they got divorced from "Substance Abuse Issues", they hooked up with their teenage crush to help fill the void.

Billy and Chuck is the best run of Billy's career imo. Although I can't really pick out a single match of theirs as memorable. I also can't for the Smoking Gunns nor the NAO besides the dumpster match. The fakeout with Billy and Chuck was a real misstep, as the audience was actually supportive of them by the time of the marriage deal, and that completely died on the vine after that. But I'm also a big Chuck Palumbo mark and think he got the rawest of deals in the WCW buy out and think he would have been a top guy for years in WCW otherwise.

Chuck Palumbo was actually pretty good but saddled with some tough shit, yeah. He was even a low-rent ABA at one point. 

Also, is Big Bossman the most psychotic, evil piece of shit of the past 25 years? Dude was pulling up to funerals and stealing caskets, killing pet dogs and feeding them to their owners... shit is insane.

We were discussing Road Dogg and Billy Gunn the other day, and I was going through the August 16, 1999 Observer, and I found this extract highly amusing and pertinent. The Rock quote in particular is really making me laugh. All the Kliq members just despised Rock, didn't they. 

Some interesting quotes from Road Dogg in Coveh Solaimani's column in the Richmond Times-Dispatch. On Billy Gunn: "A great athlete, bad attitude." On Michaels: "Ditto for Billy, but he's worse. I think he's the best wrestler I have ever seen." On HHH: "I think Triple H infiltrated the Clique because I don't think he belongs in that category. I think he's a better guy than a wrestler." On Rock: "Got a big huge shove and let it go to his head." On Austin: "He's a (heckuva) guy, and he's a good wrestler. He's smarter about the business than he is a great wrestler. If you can be the man and still have everybody's respect, it's unheard of, incredible." On Foley: "He's a real smart man; crazy for some of the bumps he takes." On McMahon: "I think Vince is a genius. He's a genius businessman, which in turn makes him a (jerk)." On Bret Hart: "I just never understood the Bret Hart phenomenon. He was just good, not great.

On 8/10/2022 at 12:53 PM, MoS said:

We were discussing Road Dogg and Billy Gunn the other day, and I was going through the August 16, 1999 Observer, and I found this extract highly amusing and pertinent. The Rock quote in particular is really making me laugh. All the Kliq members just despised Rock, didn't they. 

He also ranks HBK over Bret. Do you in the Shawn Michaels camp want to share the trenches with Road D O Double G?

On 8/11/2022 at 5:25 PM, Coffey said:

HE LIKED BIKES! 

That three weeks where they fully committed to a Palumbo/Jamie Noble feud over Michelle McCool was good shit. Like every other midcard idea with a spark of potential at that time, they never went any further with it

9 hours ago, strobogo said:

Jeff Hardy looked bigger than him and no one is ever going to say Jeff Hardy is some imposing big guy.

Jeff Hardy is 6.2. He's not a small guy by any stretch of the imagination.

I doubt Kross is that much taller (supposed to be 6.4), but the thing is, he doesn't have a very huge frame either. He looked like a monster in LU next to smaller luchadors. In WWE, he's mid in term of size.

EDIT : I just watched that promo. Yeeaaaaaaah, it's lame. And it's REALLY WWE too, still. He was better than this in IMPACT. Scarlett just looking at him and not saying a word is kinda... I dunno, Scarlett being part of the presentation is cool for him, but again, she on her own is a different kind of character, and apparently she won't be able to do it either. Yeah... I can understand people not feeling this.

Been inching my way through WOS lately. Funny how there's not this widespread orientalist view of the "respectful" British audience, who so far through this footage have been just as quiet as any Japanese crowd I've ever seen. Maybe Chris Jericho needs to write another book about other countries he bombed in.

It was the moribund nature of the audience that made it hard for me to get into British grappling originally. But sometimes the crowd seemed to be there for a Sunday afternoon larf, which sucked, too.

Still not a fan of tiny rings nor the rounds system, luckily there's enough great workers to negate those personal nitpicks.

On 8/8/2022 at 2:49 AM, strobogo said:

Billy and Chuck is the best run of Billy's career imo. Although I can't really pick out a single match of theirs as memorable. I also can't for the Smoking Gunns nor the NAO besides the dumpster match. The fakeout with Billy and Chuck was a real misstep, as the audience was actually supportive of them by the time of the marriage deal, and that completely died on the vine after that. But I'm also a big Chuck Palumbo mark and think he got the rawest of deals in the WCW buy out and think he would have been a top guy for years in WCW otherwise.

the Billy/Chuck vs. Edge/Hogan tag from 7/4/02 SD is an absolute blast. Fantastic work from everybody involved. I love that match/moment/show.