Pro Wrestling Only

Former Wrestlers Speaks Out Against Allegations That Led to WWE Removing Fabulous Moolah's Name from Battle Royal

iamthedoctor

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the guy Lady Maxine is talking about is the same person as the doctor that Luna once mentioned who would pay to take pictures of the female wrestlers.

Nothing in the interviews that Nigel has done has debunked the key specific allegations. Until someone talks to Susie Mae McCoy's daughter and the Free Times reporter, I don't think it matters in and of itself what the son says. Her son was not the source of those allegations for the article. Her daughter was. Let's not pretend that the McCoy telling her daughter about repeated rapes and not telling her son, especially in the '70s or '80s, is any kind of stretch.

The neglect case with Moolah's daughter was also brushed off quickly by the daughter with no follow up by Nigel. It completely contradicted the newspaper articles and he clearly doesn't care.

The one thing that I've been annoyed got misrepresented once was the "Moolah was a pimp" letter purportedly from Penny Banner that was floating around. It was written by some guy on RSPW and I have no idea when it first got attributed to Banner, who wrote a completely different letter about Moolah to the Observer.

Now, is it possible that a news story from 1956 had a bunch of errors? Sure. And that something weird happened with McCoy's daughter and/or the reporter that led to a misleading article? Maybe. But Nigel is just running around like a chicken with his head cut off to try to get a bunch of mostly irrelevant window dressing instead of pursuing anything substantive.

This is a bit late I suppose, but who is Nigel? He posted one of the interviews with the other old lady?

Until someone talks to Susie Mae McCoy's daughter and the Free Times reporter, I don't think it matters in and of itself what the son says. Her son was not the source of those allegations for the article. Her daughter was. Let's not pretend that the McCoy telling her daughter about repeated rapes and not telling her son, especially in the '70s or '80s, is any kind of stretch.

I think they end up canceling each other out. At least for people who do not know the family. I do think it is very ulikely the son never heard of it in some form. At least with the families I know, secrets are few and far between.

The stuff with the daughter is very damning. Was it ever reported how it was resolved? I think that is a frustrating thing even now. You gets news stories and the resolution gets buried.

I did not know there were videos. Why does he care so much? I just did some research reading interviews. I can't imagine being dedicated enough to Moolah, to do a Justice For Benoit video series for her.

Yeah, I don't get it. I get being skeptical but I think even if you're skeptical it's more of a "I don't see any compelling evidence right now" vs. a strong conviction that she absolutely is innocent.

Maybe he is on the WWE payroll. Which sounds silly, but McDonalds still pays people to attack that old lady they gave third degree burns to. Calling the Twitter mob "Cyber Bullying" sounds like a WWE thing. Or he is a random weirdo who loves Moolah.

Her work has been mentioned here. I think Moolah was good at a very stale dated style. But her being the primary trainer in the country set women's wrestling back decades. Without Japan, women would have never caught up.

Bruce does not believe the [savage/Steph] rumors.

You're right. On the WWE Network version of the Prichard podcast this week, the idiotic sleaze thread Steph bullshit rumors are brought up without really being brought up. I was glad to see Bruce firmly deny it. Hopefully that bullshit rumor fucks off and dies now.

Moolah as trainer is the area where I think criticism is most undeserved. She taught a boring style, but it was also a safe style. Given what we've seen come of wrestlers in the last 15-20 years, I can't criticize that. The pimping allegations, I haven't heard a single first-hand account of a girl being pimped. Everyone is reporting the same rumors but if there are no victims stepping forward, I don't think there's much you can do with that. It's a heavy accusation.

Moolah as a wrestler though I have no use for, and she was actively harmful to the product once Vince went national.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In the latest from wrestling insider Nigel Sherrod, two WWE Hall of Fame members, Jerry “The King” Lawler and Road Warrior Animal, discuss The Fabulous Moolah and the recent allegations against her. Over twenty women who were trained, worked for or with Moolah have denounced that includes; Judy Martin, Leilani Kai, Kandi Malloy, Sandy Parker, and Susan “Tex” Green.

Recent internet allegations of Moolah pimping & drugging women: “It’s sad to me to see her legacy or her reputation be defamed or destroyed, actually, like it’s been doing now through social media… All this stuff I hear about now, never heard or saw anything like that when I was in the business around Moolah and her girls.”

Moolah’s business practices: “She was a very good businesswoman and I think everyone enjoyed doing business with her… It was like she was an agent for all the girl wrestlers in the fact that it got them booked and it all happened through Moolah and so she performed a good service for the girls in that respect. She always took her percentage, but, hey, that’s the way business is, that’s the way the wrestling promoters do.”

Regarding how the wrestling business worked in the time period: “I knew at the time when I worked for Nick Gulas, I didn’t have to go out and get myself booked. I was working for Nick Gulas and he would get me booked. That’s the same thing Moolah did except instead of working one territory, Moolah worked the entire United States for the girls.”

Also speaking with Nigel Sherrod, multiple time Tag Team champion, Road Warrior Animal was concise with his comments regarding Moolah and internet allegations:

“Moolah was AWESOME. She was a very kind woman, no truth to internet rumors.”

The more that comes out the more I find myself in the camp that many of the accusations against Moolah are either being exaggerated or are outright lies. At this point, it's like one or two people's word on her being a pimp compared to basically everyone else who ever dealt with her. I doubt something like that would have been so well contained if it were true. About the only thing that seems substantiated is her taking a cut of the pay from the wrestlers she was managing, which is pretty much just a natural thing for an agent to do in exchange for training their client and getting them bookings. Just another sad reflection of modern times that a single sexual assault accusation with no evidence ruins someone's reputation.

It seems obvious the pimping stuff was bullshit.

But Moolah was a piece of shit as a promoter and made Nick Gulas look like Paul Boesch. Which really should not be glossed over.

Lets say someone was accused of being a serial rapist. But n the course of being proven innocent, we find out they have been stealing people's pensions.

Shit I hate Moolah now than when it started.

At the Cauliflower Alley Club panel about Moolah, Princess Victoria backed up that Moolah pressured her to sleep with a businessman (I forget if he was a promoter) in Europe. He then tried to steal her passport when she didn't.

Not really all that different from the other allegations.

Anyone who was taking the "pimping" stuff absolutely, 100% literally in terms of how Moolah ran her business is missing the point. Would anyone be really shocked of some of the former Moolah students are missing that, either deliberately or otherwise? Nigel isn't exactly asking "Did Moolah ever pressure you to or suggest you have sex with someone?" or any kind of legitimate follow up questions. Nobody has given any reason not to view Victoria or Mad Maxine as anything less than credible. Sweet Georgia Brown is a little more confusing because of how the article was done. But Luna's emotions about being sent to a creepy doctor to take pictures when she felt she was too young to have a day in it are being dismissed. And that's ridiculous.

In March the attitude was Moolah was a human trafficker. Now that these allegations have proven less than airtight, goal posts are being moved.

Maxxine's story would qualify as conjecture. If you put what Maxxine said with what Luna said, the guy was a creepy doctor who liked taking nude pics of lady wrestlers. At no point is it said Moolah forced anyone to go. She presented it as a way to make extra money.

With Victoria you would have a story if she faced negative consequences for beating up the kraut. But it appears she didn't and she would have every reason to say so.

I feel sick defending the old bag. I just don't see why people are clinging to the more questionable by the day pimping charges, when there are concrete shitty things she did.

The cynical part of me thinks it is because, a promoter ripping off workers is not good clickbait.

That said, Nigel is being paid by WWE right? Having him do the research so if she is cleared, they can use her image, but if its confirmed their hands are clean.

It's the only thing that makes sense considering he seems to be out solely to make her look good. I can't imagine anyone else feeling that strongly about fucking Moolah.

I don't know where I feel on the pimping thing. As I said, a couple of women saying she didn't do it to them doesn't disprove that she did it to others. I think it's super shitty and fucked up of her to put young girls in those situations. I think if this part was exaggerated it doesn't change the fact that their decision to name a battle royal after her was fucking stupid and they deserved to take the beating for it that they did.

I think that's harder for people to wrap their heads around for some reason.

I think that might be due to a lot of online fans being younger and having no concept of money and what wrestlers actually make. I've found online fans in general to be extremely ignorant of what indy wrestlers that aren't big names actually make on shows.