Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 10/15/18 - 10/21/18: Fear, Loathing, and PRACTICE!!

fakeplastictrees

-Crown Jewel will stream live on the WWE Network from an undisclosed location that may or may not be located between The Red Sea and Persian Gulf. 

- Ronda turned a shaky promo into money.

- Lio Rush dressing like Bobby Brown while doing an Abraham Washington lite gimmick at ringside just will not work.

- The best part about Nikki's promo is that most everything she said, she believes it to be a shoot. Its hilarious, sad, and enlightening to see what happens to a person's psyche when living in the wrestling bubble for too long.

- Apollo receiving golf claps and finger snaps for his feat of strength really highlights everything wrong with the handling of 90% of the roster.

- Mickie and Alexa do The IIconics better than The IIconics. Granted its a low bar, but still.

- The fans really want to see Nia vs. Tamina. This is the second time they have done the stare down spot and it gets great heat each time. Despite never really being over or a super worker-- Tamina has managed to keep her mystique for a decade through bad booking, injuries, and all. I'd be down for her to get a 2 month reign as champion.

I wonder how many times Tamina has been brought back, treated like a big deal in her first match back, before someone goes "Oh that's right Tamina has been around for a decade and she's still horrible." We already had that moment earlier this year right? 

11 hours ago, fakeplastictrees said:

- The fans really want to see Nia vs. Tamina. This is the second time they have done the stare down spot and it gets great heat each time. Despite never really being over or a super worker-- Tamina has managed to keep her mystique for a decade through bad booking, injuries, and all. I'd be down for her to get a 2 month reign as champion.

Oh God no!  The women's division is pretty rocky as is Seriously, can she talk? I'm not sure I see the positives in a Tamina push.

But Rousey, she's something else . What started as a whiney insider  cringe promo picked up somewhere in the middle and rocketed into orbit as Rousey revved back the intensity FULL ON and was ready to tear someone's arm off. It's was an amazing recovery from some awful material and a reminder that yeah she's ass kicker, that's what she should be doing. And she did.

Has Brie always been this strong a talker?

Perhaps two months is too long. But it would be a much needed break from the norm. Outside of Ronda and the few usual suspects, Tamina has managed to keep people believing that she is one of the toughest women in WWE despite having an amazing losing record, no titles to speak off, and being sidelined with injuries more-often-than-not.

7 hours ago, Strummer said:

oh man that Trish/Lita segment was just painful with them referencing an Allen Iverson presser from 17 years ago.  This program has been a complete bomb so far

Trish has been trash in this buildup. Absolutely awful with her unenergetic, dead-eyed Stepford wife glare. Step aside, Nia Jax. Trish's face is the real immovable object of the women's division.

2018 is shaping up to be the year of pointless, regrettable returns. At least Shawn's promos have been solid though. The material isn't much to work with, but it is striking how much better he is than Hunter, who many tend to categorize as the superior talker. He's simply not. Shawn sounds so much more comfortable and believable when speaking. Hunter's there spouting off about climbing mountains and imaginary milestones and shit, while Shawn's there saying shit an actual human being would say.

Ronda is excellent in sit down interviews and one-on-one settings. She's engaging, bubbly, and a natural. I wish WWE would be more flexible when it comes to making their promos fit the talents of the individuals, instead of trying to force everyone to fit their dated, formulaic, overly sanitized style. Ronda saved the segment, despite its poor material. But just barely. And there have been several instances of her struggling with it before this, so why not make an adjustment? They approach almost everything this way - lazy and uninspired on almost every level.

19 minutes ago, Charles (Loss) said:

Um ... Edge was handpicked to be a star from the beginning of his time in WWE. I guess the story now is that everyone who had success had to do it by defying management.

True, but WWE has pushed the idea that Edge was an "outsider" who was never seen as champion material until he had that Rated R run after the first ever cash in for a long ass time now. I think I've seen the same "nobody believed in me" story from Edge and Michael Hayes in like 3 different DVDs/documentaries :lol:

Edit: Big Show with a heel turn, he's gotta have the record for a WWE wrestler, right?

10 minutes ago, Jimmy Redman said:

It wasn't just the Live Sex though. Ratings went up after he won the title and remained up until literally the day they replaced him with Hunter as Cena's new challenger. 

People were into Edge as a new top guy, I hate to say it but it's true.

Edge was the only guy to get the crowd 100% against him and for Cena at a time when that seemed impossible to pull off.  He understood his character better than most do and it showed. 

The whole thing is funny to me mainly because "they saw me as a future star right away and eventually I got there" is admittedly kinda dry. But the line about having to overcome management perceptions leans into the idea that WWE sees everyone as having no potential before they are proven wrong. (You have to wonder why they hire anyone.) Surely, at least one person in WWE history has had a run where the company sees big potential right away, then they're proven right and all is well.