Pro Wrestling Only

Rumor: Jericho and J.R. starting new wrestling organization with Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shahid Khan

C.S.

Surprised there isn't a thread about this already...

https://www.sescoops.com/chris-jericho-jim-ross-barry-bloom-wrestling-promotion/

- Chris Jericho, Jim Ross, and Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shahid Khan are reportedly the ones behind this.

- Super-agent Barry Bloom is said to also be involved.

- "JR’s contract with WWE expires shortly and he has declined an offer to renew."

- "Cody Rhodes and The Young Bucks are on board, as are Hangman Page and a few others. Kenny Omega’s status is unclear."

- "For what it’s worth, Bill Goldberg is a client of Barry Bloom, along with JR and Jericho."

- "Sinclair Broadcasting, which provided logistical support for All In and has been acting in good faith, has been in the dark about this story."

- "The timeline for this going live is 12-16 months from now (late 2019 / early 2020)."

AXS's involvement has already been debunked on other sites, so who knows what else is true - and isn't.  

Obviously all rumors now, but this would make some sense as the thing Cody has been hinting about in terms of breaking down barriers in 2019.

They could launch it in September with All In 2?

Could all those guys stay independent for much of 2019? Cody as NWA Champ, the Bucks as NWA Tag Team Champs? 

Cody's clearly been hinting at something that would change the landscape, and that would certainly fit the bill.  I've always assumed that Billy Corgan and Dave Lagana were working behind the scenes to try to land some deal for the NWA, since they keep promising big things and really haven't done much other than the YouTube series. 

If this ends up being anywhere close to true, I wonder how the logistics will play out. A new group would need TV somewhere, and not a  broke ass no money deal like what Impact has on Pop. Will an All In 2 draw anywhere close to the original since the first show was all about Cody and the Bucks pretty much willing it into existence? They achived their goal, I don't see another 10,000 people traveling to be the second non WWE show to hit that number in 25+ years. 

On a positive note, a promotion led by those guys could be pretty well booked. Cody has shown to have a great mind for things, and in this new open borders world of non WWE wrestling, they could probably  get guys like Kenny to make cameos to keep things interesting. 

Also Vince reacting to Shahid Kahn as the new Billionare Ted would be amazing to see. 

Wait for Meltzer and Mike Johnson but I was told:

That the SEScoop story is "65% false" and "very premature".

Jim Ross is telling people he'll only be an announcer. I assume in his usual announcer for hire role.

The promotion will likely be located in Las Vegas.

WWE is taking it seriously and a lot of people's price tag just went up.

-------

Personally, I think the Elite leaked the story to increase their bargaining power ahead of their contract negotiations. 

2 hours ago, Herodes said:

My sources are telling me that Herb Abrams, the Continental Lover Eddie Mansfield and Jumping Joe Savoldi will be co-promoting this along with Paul Alperstein and Gordon Scozzari.

First tv taping will be held in Parspinny NJ and Bob Dow will be the announcer.

Its times like these that I wish Bert Prentice was still alive to get in the mix somewhere.

EDIT: well shit, Bert Prentice is still alive. Which begs the question of why he isn't promoting random shows in Wyoming with non-WWE talent right now.

While I don't want to think too much about this until it turns into an actual story, can we safely assume that WWE told Jericho that no way will he ever get a Brock Lesnar deal? (Which was what he said in an interview with Dave a little while back it would take for him to return ...)

That's interesting. What specifically was Jericho asking for there? Because, in terms of calling his shots and choosing how he returns, he was almost already there.

Less money, sure. But just a tier below. I feel like - if you were to ask anyone else in the company, a Jericho deal would be a thing to strive for. It's a pretty sweet gig in itself.

Jericho said on Dave's show that he feels like he's worth just as much as Brock Lesnar and basically said he wouldn't go back for deals like he's gotten before. I think he means 3-4 matches and ten total dates a year for $5 million (or whatever Brock's deal is) or nothing.

58 minutes ago, Charles (Loss) said:

Jericho said on Dave's show that he feels like he's worth just as much as Brock Lesnar and basically said he wouldn't go back for deals like he's gotten before. I think he means 3-4 matches and ten total dates a year for $5 million (or whatever Brock's deal is) or nothing.

That's interesting, I can't remember which interview it was (or if it was him talking about it in his podcast) but months ago he was saying how happy he was of getting a "Brock Lesnar" type deal with New Japan - very good money for "3-4 dates" - while at the same time having a good relationship with WWE, to the point he could still get dates with them. On another interview he also spoke about how much money he got for working the Greatest Royal Rumble while doing basically nothing (he also said he though his match with Taker was given back to Rusev because he was going to continue to work with New Japan).

Just now seeing this and my first thoughts are:

It's been a while since there's been a new promotion with serious aspirations so it's about time and I guess we were due.  As mentioned above with all the TV money being thrown about.

Second, I'm wondering just how much of the "in thing" the Bullet Club guys will be a year from now.  Every time we've thought that movement peaked, it didn't, but I think it has this time.  I can't see any of those guys being any more popular or more over a year from now.  If anything them stagnating working in NJ & ROH just waiting for this to launch could cause them to feel stale a bit by then.  This group, if it happens, better hope there's some new, hot act in the mix or separate from this mix by that time as I'm not sure you want to launch with "the cool kids from 2 years ago".

Also curious how ROH will react to this as it's really more direct competition to them.  I can't see them standing idly by & keeping the BC guys booked strong only for them to bail & start their own deal.  Them leaving ROH though could lead to them being more out of sight/out of mind in that time.

More power to them though, I hope this happens.

Maybe funding this new wrestling company is why Shahid Khan's pulled out of his plan to buy Wembley Stadium:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/oct/17/wembley-stadium-deal-off-fa-shahid-khan

Given he was prepared to drop £600m on that deal, he's clearly got a few quid lying around to invest in things. Then again, if he hadn't pulled out of the deal we could've been looking at All In 2 at Wembley as the spiritual successor to Summerslam 1992.