Pro Wrestling Only

All Elite Wrestling

goodhelmet

I feel like best case scenario for Shawn Spears is if he can pull off what Juice Robinson did when Juice left NXT. Which would be incredible as Juice is pretty damn good now. The issue is that Spears is also 8-years older than Robinson & almost forty. Which ultimately means nothing as Dustin Rhodes is fifty & just had a MOTYC at Double or Nothing with Cody. 

If Shawn Spears gets away from the Perfect 10 crap, which it looks like he is, I'm willing to give him a chance. I didn't like during the preshow battle royal at DoN that he was still doing the 10 crap but now with the chair shot on Cody & seemingly going heel, maybe that'll be the end of that.

AEW is not good about comedy. They need to stay away from the majority of the comedy. They also gotta stop doing so many inside jokes or insider things. Assume no one watches the YouTube shows & explain as you go. 

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Coffey said:

AEW is not good about comedy. They need to stay away from the majority of the comedy. They also gotta stop doing so many inside jokes or insider things. Assume no one watches the YouTube shows & explain as you go. 

Except Being the Elite is consistently decent -> good comedically and it's part of their package. Just because you don't laugh at the comedy doesn't mean they should get away from what's worked for a large chunk of the crowd.

9 minutes ago, Migs said:

Except Being the Elite is consistently decent -> good comedically and it's part of their package. Just because you don't laugh at the comedy doesn't mean they should get away from what's worked for a large chunk of the crowd.

Was the "comedy" from the last pre-show anywhere near the level of BTE though?

(I've never watched more than a few minutes of BTE, so genuine question.)

19 minutes ago, Migs said:

They're getting ready to debut on cable television. They gotta start all over anyway. You gotta draw in the casual fans. 

47 minutes ago, Coffey said:

They're getting ready to debut on cable television. They gotta start all over anyway. You gotta draw in the casual fans. 

Meltzer talked in the Observer about how the comedy hardcore match drew in casual fans from the reports he heard. 

58 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Was the "comedy" from the last pre-show anywhere near the level of BTE though?

(I've never watched more than a few minutes of BTE, so genuine question.)

No, I don't think so, other than the Fyter Fest behind the scenes stuff. I think the Librarians are amusing but not laugh out loud funny, and I was having stream issues during the hardcore match but I find Nakazawa also in the merely amusing camp. But even if someone really didn't like the comedy, the idea that their taste should dictate the business of the company is a little bit odd. These guys have gotten very far with a balance of seriousness and comedy, and I'm not sure why they should go away from it.

I think their main struggle is going to be that some of their best comedy comes from the core guys writing for themselves, and their success has been more mixed writing for others. But the top guys obviously need to be doing some serious stuff (Cody hasn't done any comedy on the first couple of shows, and he's got the best comic timing of the group; the Fyre Fest parody was funny but tonally pretty odd), so they won't be able to rely on that. 

34 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

What indy show were we talking about here?

Limitless Wrestling in Portland, Maine on July 12 (day before AEW's show). Announced that AEW pulled Spears "for a video shoot" and replaced him with Tommy Dreamer. Then as mentioned, after the negativity, they announced AEW had then cleared Spears to participate after all.

1 hour ago, El-P said:

Who the fuck goes to a Blink-182 or Lil Wayne concert anyway ?

Wait. Blink-182 and Lil Wayne share the same stage ? WTF ?

They do have a bit of an overlapping fan base, and I think that overlap is very well defined by Janela and Enzo.

They are probably trolling Cornette so he gets them free publicity on his podcast.

On BTE this week : 5 years booking plan for the librarians. Baron Corbin like push. 

On Road to : Yet another great promo by Dustin & Cody. That's where they are selling the shows.

I saw a comment on Reddit that nearly 5000 people left the Fyter Fest Youtube stream during the librarian segment and the live view count never recovered. Doubling down on an act that actively drives viewers away for the sake of getting some meta humor over doesn't strike me as a particularly sound business strategy.

1 hour ago, NintendoLogic said:

I saw a comment on Reddit that nearly 5000 people left the Fyter Fest Youtube stream during the librarian segment and the live view count never recovered. Doubling down on an act that actively drives viewers away for the sake of getting some meta humor over doesn't strike me as a particularly sound business strategy.

Well, first off, "a comment on Reddit" isn't exactly a sure source of data. And even if it's true, the fact is the number of live stream they got was apparently way better than what they expected anyway (per Meltz). So, 5000 people leaving Youtube during the pre-show (which also doesn't actually indicate anything about would these people have watched the live stream of the main show anyway, it's just impossible to tell) isn't much compared to the, I dunno, tens of thousand more exceeding their projections. 

Funny how this Librarian gimmick and how awful it is and how it 'drives people away' seems to get way more focus than it should, really, when you think of the overall success of the promotion (thus far and for its limited scope).

22 hours ago, El-P said:

Well, first off, "a comment on Reddit" isn't exactly a sure source of data. And even if it's true, the fact is the number of live stream they got was apparently way better than what they expected anyway (per Meltz). So, 5000 people leaving Youtube during the pre-show (which also doesn't actually indicate anything about would these people have watched the live stream of the main show anyway, it's just impossible to tell) isn't much compared to the, I dunno, tens of thousand more exceeding their projections. 

Funny how this Librarian gimmick and how awful it is and how it 'drives people away' seems to get way more focus than it should, really, when you think of the overall success of the promotion (thus far and for its limited scope).

This is a terrible argument. Looks like all that WCW watching didn't leave any lessons to be learned from?

2 hours ago, Slasher said:

This is a terrible argument. Looks like all that WCW watching didn't leave any lessons to be learned from?

What ? I'm not even making argument for anything, I'm just stating facts.

Thus far AEW has been a success.

The Librarians is a pastiche comedy gimmick on the undercard (thus far, only on BTE and pre-shows) and people are acting like it's the worst thing ever and it's gonna kill the promotion's appeal. There's a complete disconnect between some reactions and what actually is occuring with the promotion thus far. Total overstatement. Really. That being said, it's gonna make for a fun running gag at this point.