goodhelmet

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, KawadaSmile said:

As insane as this sounds, this would only be a good idea if it leads to Jack Boy Jungle Perry making his return and cutting the Bucks off right before the footage gets to the spicy parts.

They already have teased an alliance of sorts (or at least an angle) with Jack Perry, so it might be this actually.

I don't care. Whether it's a troll-bait that will make the shitposter in me laugh my ass off or a legit WCW 99 idiocracy moment, I'll enjoy it either way. Whatever it is, it can't be as bad and dumb as that Billy Gunn vs Jay White segment anyway.

Regardless of everything everyone has said, including Meltzer & Tony Khan himself, I'm still taking a wait-and-see approach. There's no way it's just going to be showing the footage & AEW going "Punk sure is a dick, huh?" That would be completely pointless. 

Considering what has been said about the rumored footage (basically, Jack Perry taking care of himself and CM Punk looking like a goof), it could be a deal of a total troll-like "vignette" about Jack Perry and how he can handle himself against some guy who attacked him backstage, and how he's the new Elite member, while never even acknowledging the other guy is CM Punk (when of course, it's *all* aboute exposing CM Punk both as an unprofessional shit and a shitty-ass fake tough guy, the kind of guy who talks about "chocking someone a bit" and being a pro for not "murdering Hangman"). But it's almost TOO funny for their heel characters. Then again, they are expert at meta-trolling anyway. The thing is, it is supposed to build for their match against FTR, so on paper it's tricky as hell no matter how you slice it.

As long as it exposes a douche, I'm fine with anything, really. When this is the "big issue" in the company, well it's really completely irrelevant comparing to... well, you know what...

2 hours ago, El-P said:

But it's almost TOO funny for their heel characters. Then again, they are expert at meta-trolling anyway. The thing is, it is supposed to build for their match against FTR, so on paper it's tricky as hell no matter how you slice it.

Wouldn't be shocked it they just show part of the real thing and they just do a spoof, reintroduce Pack Jerry as their newest pal, and then start talking about how those FTR thugs are still associated with that villain Charles Martinet Punk, and how they are going to finish the job Jumping Jack started and clean AEW of all evil.

Jack was doing Young Bucks spots in his latest match so it seems like this is going to be part sticking it to Punk and part actual storyline advancement.

Also Meltzer noted that people both inside and outside of AEW saw the footage and everyone agreed Punk should be fired over it so whatever it shows is probably not going to look good for him.

Even the most pro-Punk accounts of what happened backstage at All In describe him as the one who initiated the confrontation with Perry and escalated it physically, so it's pretty inconceivable that the footage would paint him in a positive light. And even if the primary purpose of airing the footage is to advance an angle, I'm sure a desire to stick it to Punk played a role as well. Mature wrestling promoters are so rare they might as well not exist.

I mean how many times have we seen promoters be petty to the detriment of their own interests? Looking at you, Uncle Eric. At least if they use their pettiness to build business, that's a positive even if they didn't have the purest intentions.

Tony was pretty pissed at the statements Punk made in that interview, it's almost like Punk thinks they'd never show the footage so he could just say some bullshit and get away with it.

Also Meltzer noted that while he might not have put it on TV, Vince would have 100% reacted the same way pointing out when Punk made his famous claims on the Cabana podcast he immediately got sent videos and pics showing he didn't have the giant growth on his back he claimed to have.

Hook is one of the many wrestlers that AEW has in its roster that should be working everywhere to get more experience. But I don't have a solution to make them work more when they have a nice contract that lets them have a bunch of time off between 3-9 weeks of TV runs  they get sporadically.

Hook would probably benefit from an NXT run just off the strength of having more reps in the ring, doing promos and trying shit out with whatever character they come up with for him.

Hook is the same issue than Jade Cargill. Overprotected rookie. Cargill because of her looks, Hook because of his father. And really, I'm way past the point where I care about this kind of stuff. I'm interested in the actual work, in what they actually DO, not who they are. And as much as, for most of her stint, I was a big fan of Cargill because she was doing the Goldberg gimmick right (aka doing some cool shit in all her squashes), not to mention putting lots of effort in her presentation, Hook is totally there to me. Yeah, it was cool when he was over as fuck even before debuting, but that was almost a meme. He's basically still a rookie. He's ok. He's nothing special yet (maybe he will, maybe he won't) and if he wasn't his father's son, he would not have been pushed and protected like he has been. Whether he goes or he stays, it makes zero difference in term of my enjoyment of the product, really. 

I think part of HOOK's presentation hurt his progress. He's good at showing that "never say die" aspect of a babyface  as evidenced in his miracle match against Samoa Joe, but him casually no-selling bumps just doesn't work, I don't think it ever worked for me. 

Now, if he can learn with Ilja Dragunov how to properly sell an ass-beating...

I know it's faux pas to say nowadays but Hook is just too fucking small. He's not Rey Mysterio. He looks like a literal teenager, and the suspension of disbelief is out the window. It's not like he's doing a Danhausen gimmick, he's trying to be Taz without any of the aura.

Taz was small, yes, but he was built like a tank & when he choked people out, it was believable. Hook has NONE of that.

I'm not sure WWE would even be interested in him. I don't see him being marketable like Jade is. 

2 hours ago, El-P said:

MCMG are AEW bound. Unsurprisingly. Hopefully they get used right. And by right I mean, having big matches with the Young Bucks and FTR and such, not jobbing on Rampage to Top Flight. 

The answer is both. You run big matches with them quickly but long-term, they can be used to build those younger teams too.

23 minutes ago, Migs said:

The answer is both. You run big matches with them quickly but long-term, they can be used to build those younger teams too.

Agreed. But if anyone deserves a nice run in a major company, it's Shelley & Sabin. Maybe the most influential tag-team of the last 20 years, awesome workers both, still. And yeah, what a great get for training talent, Shelley especially. 

Fuck Oklahoma and its hateful inbred redneck bigots. 

I hope next time AEW comes around, they have Nyla Rose fucking main event and win the woman or TBS title. Time to send a very clear signal. Everything is political.

I'm glad that Nyla, at least on the outside, is taking it in stride because that's super fucking shitty. I wouldn't blame AEW if they never went back to Oklahoma ever again. Shit like that should cost the state business, straight up. 

Looks like AEW is working with artist Rob Schamberger. I love this because wrestling companies having a staff artist reminds me of the 60s New York Jets. He's a really cool guy and I'm sure he and his wife will be active with AEW's philanthropic efforts. I was only an acquaintance of theirs but ended up a huge fan.

14 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

If they think that's bad, wait until they find out that some of the fights on the card might have been fixed. Athletic commission regulation of pro wrestling is such a ridiculous anachronism.

Isn't Oklahoma the first state to ban abortion when they could ? The entire state is a ridiculous anachronism.