Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 02/04 - 02/10 Bolsonaro is all abouth death squads baby

KawadaSmile

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Strummer said:

Also Becky not scheduled for the SD house show on Monday so looks like she will be on Raw again

I think she's a lock to move full time to Raw at the shake up

Maybe a run on Raw for a while, but I would wager they're going to front load SmackDown when it starts on Fox. 

Yuck at that news about Nia/Dean. I'm not opposed to some sort of mixed tag at Mania, but this all seems like its building to an inter-gender match where the woman is a heel and that just doesn't sit right. Like the end of the Rumble this year, it doesn't matter how much heat Nia has, watching her get RKO'd and hit with a 619 isn't "fun" for me as a viewer.

20 years ago it wasn't right either in retrospect...and I know I will get eaten alive (deservedly) for this comment, but a key difference is that when Austin was giving Stunners to Chyna (and Linda McMahon at some point?), we were talking about the most wildly popular character in WWE history delivering the Stunner to a woman at the crescendo of a show filled with sex, violence, and boundary-pushing storylines. It doesn't make it any better and actually makes it worse because the whole show was filled with misogyny and exploitation, but it also meant that when the "good guy" Steve Austin gave his finishing move to one of the villainous women, the show was so far down in the gutter of tastelessness that blatant man-on-woman violence was the only "topper" left. So, in 97/98'' when he stunned Chyna, I cheered for it. (By 01' I was barely watching, but would imagine, if I was still a fan at the time, I would've liked him delivering one to Steph too.)

But today's show is different and this week's RAW segment, where Dean teased Nia by claiming she has lust for him, was awkward and gross. And, actually, it made me want to see Nia beat the shit out of him because "Cool Handsome Guy" mocking the "fat girl" for having a crush on him (which we, the audience, had ZERO reason to believe was true) is all sorts of disgusting to me. And this segment was also Dean's face turn because Cool Handsome Guy mocking fat girl is funny?

So, yeah, at least 20 years ago, when they did man-on-woman violence they had characters that were over enough, in a context that was tasteless enough, with storylines that positioned the hero as being justified enough to pull it off. 

The Stunner to Chyna was great because it was the first time anyone had laid his hand on Chyna after more than one year of her beating up men. No one ever touched her because they wouldn't dare to and she was taking advantage of that fact, except she was also sold as just as strong if not stronger than some of the guys. So when after all this time Austin finally stunned her (which is different than punching her in the face, because the Stunner is a goofy pro-wrestling finisher as opposed to something you'd do IRL), it was an amazing climax (especially since there was doubt it would ever happen, much like when he stunned McMahon in 97 for the first time). It had nothing to do with "men on women violence" or "misogyny" or "exploitation", really. Tons of other stuff were about to be (remember we're in early 98 still, the worst was yet to come, PMS anyone ?), but certainly not Austin stunning Chyna for the first time.

Dean vs Nia is obviously leading to Dean doing to job to the useless one on the way out. Hopefully she doesn't concuss him with a punch on the eye or something, that's all the best you can hope, really...

Even going back way before Austin was hitting the Stunner, what about when Sherri would take an Atomic Drop from someone like Hogan? Used to pop my mom huge.

Also the crowd went totally banana when Jake the Snake hit the DDT on Dark Journey. Although that can be played off as Jake was blinded so he didn't know it was her. 

Fair enough. I think one could still argue that any of this stuff is inexcusable and they wouldn't be wrong.

But from what you have both added, I think we're in agreement that, in 2019, in the current context of what the WWE promotes itself as, this sort of stuff just doesn't work as well. 

You could point to the Rumble and say, "Hey, Nia taking all those dudes finishers was the biggest pop of that match!" and you might even be right - but I'd counter that this being true has more to do with the Rumble being pretty lackluster more than 40k fans desiring to see Nia take an RKO because there's been a huge build towards that moment. 

10 hours ago, DMJ said:

but I'd counter that this being true has more to do with the Rumble being pretty lackluster more than 40k fans desiring to see Nia take an RKO because there's been a huge build towards that moment. 

Actually I'd argue it was more relief that Nia wasn't gonna win the Rumble at this point, considering everyone expected a "big surprise". WTF were they thinking anyway with this idiotic idea ?

About Sherri taking atomic drops from Hogan, let's never forget Hogan was actually a dick as a babyface, not that it's any excuse. As far as the inner workings went, Sherri was probably begging to take that kind of bump from Hogan anyway (and who wouldn't at this point, really ?), it's a well known fact women worker like her were considered "one of the boys". I guess that mentality really infused the product, as they were not considered "women" but first and foremost "workers" and as such, just another specimen of "bumping characters", like managers were. Probably with non-working valets (like Liz or Missy), things were different... and thus, more offensive because more suited in good old sexual assault, way on the creepy side at times ( babyface Magnum TA forcing himself on Precious Baby Doll while the announcer rejoicingly shouts "She likes it ! She likes it !")

6 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

That was Baby Doll. And if you want to see some good old fashioned wrestling misogyny, check out the WCCW David Von Erich vs Jimmy Garvin feud. David spanks Sunshine and even raises the back of his hand at her. 

Oh yeah, Baby Doll, of course. Thanks, corrected. Tully Blanchard jumping on Magnum was such a true babyface move.

I believe I saw that one when I went through a bunch of WCCW years ago. But the promotion left me with such a mediocre impression overall that I probably forgot about that stuff.

On 2/11/2019 at 1:09 AM, SirEdger said:

I don't know WTF triggered Corey Graves that way but the dude seriously needs help.

Could be it THIS?

Corey Graves' Wife Accuses Graves Of "Sleeping With" WWE Star (Updated)
By Robert Gunier | February 16, 2019

Amy Polinsky, wife of WWE commentator Corey Graves, took to her Instagram account in an effort to shed some light on an alleged affair between Graves and WWE Superstar, Carmella.

In the since-deleted Instagram post, Polinsky first mentioned Graves' apparent suicide attempts and alcoholism before she brought up that he had been "sleeping with" Carmella.

Polinsky wrote, "This may be totally below me to do but I'm hurt. I'm sad. I've put 11 years into supporting a man to accomplish his dream only for him to punch me in the gut! I've been through suicide attempts, alcoholism, among so much more with him and stuck by his side. The kicker is finding out that he's been sleeping with one of my daughters role models all along. Carmella and Corey Graves I hope you guys are happy. I really do!"

Polinsky posted a photo of her family along with a text conversation with Graves. In the text conversation, Graves writes out multiple messages where he states, "I'm dead. I'm at home in my room and I have all of the food. I just kinda wanna disappear forever. Legit, I can't do any better than what I've got. I think this is it for me. I can't top it what I've got, so Why try? I just wanna fade away. Give them whatever they need. I've come to terms recently, that I need to shut it all down. All of it. I'm going to sleep. Maybe I'll wake up. Maybe I won't. I don't wanna wake up anymore. Just make sure the kids know I loved them."

After the initial post, Graves apparently responded to her, and Polinsky posted it on her latest IG Story. Graves wrote, "I suggest taking that post down, because WWE is gonna sue you. I just got a call."

Ouch!

Nasty situation.

While I don't condone cheating, I really hope Graves isn't in a suicidal state of mind. He has clearly been behaving erratically lately.

Is this what Bix reported that set him off? (I don't think so.)