Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread

Loss

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In FACT, come to think of it: what was with WCW's obsession with never letting the fans go home happy at the biggest show of the year? From 1995 onwards, the babyface never once got a clean, unambiguous, definitive win over the heel in the main event of Starrcade. The closest exception was when Piper beat Hogan, but even that was tainted with the "whaddya mean, it's a nontitle match?" stupidity. You can literally count on one hand the number of times that the babyface pinned the heel in a main event title match without outside interference or shenanigans at Starrcade. And there were always a whole bunch of heels going over and/or various fuck-finishes in the undercard. WHY. Why on earth did they keep booking it like that? Especially since they had a clear example in Wrestlemania every year that it was much more profitable to just let the people have some happy endings. They knew this didn't draw as well as the classic Babyface Wins The Big Match formula, but they kept doing it for decades anyway.

About this, Bischoff has said several times, including the Essential Starrcade DVD if I recall correctly, that he never personally viewed Starrcade as the biggest event of the year. On the DVD he says some bullshit corporate mumbo jumbo about PPV buyrates not performing as well in December due to the holidays compared with other times of the year, although strangely enough I am pretty sure '97 performed pretty goddang well. But basically Bischoff didn't feel the same sense of nostalgia for the Starrcade name/brand as some of the older tenured rasslin' people in the office.

I also want to say in one interview, or maybe a website blog, that he outright said Halloween Havoc (which Bischoff took on as a bit of a pet project, particularly trying to do good numbers in Vegas to impress the big wigs or something like that), Road Wild (another Bischoff pet project) and one more (maybe Souled Out? Bash at the Beach? One of those, I think) were all higher priorities to him than Starrcade. I don't remember the source but I swear I remember reading that.

I always liked oddball outdoor settings, so I used to enjoy Road Wild quite a bit. It had a sleasy charm to it. Harlem Heat beating the Steiners, Benoit and Malenko working a NJ junior 30 minute draw, all that was bound to work in front of *that* crowd... Not to mention Jay Leno... How much money did they lose every year with this ?

Who the fuck did Sheamus piss off?

No one. They're putting him in a program with Morrison. Morrison caused him to lose to Santino tonight.

Listening to Meltzer and Alverez talk about it is hilarious, as neither of them saw that Morrison saved Santino in the corner, leading to the fluke win.

This is, like, remedial pro wrestling angles 101. "Face causes beloved jobber pinning Super Dominent heel and then commence fued."

To be fair, Sheamus has been pushed steadily since January. He really is due his trademarked WWE depushing so that he doesn't start to think he's bigger than the company. And if I want to keep the pro wrestling internet cliches going, I could say that the fact that he's HHH's training buddy is obviously what's been protecting him up until now!

No one. They're putting him in a program with Morrison. Morrison caused him to lose to Santino tonight.

Listening to Meltzer and Alverez talk about it is hilarious, as neither of them saw that Morrison saved Santino in the corner, leading to the fluke win.

It's funny because I didn't see Morrison do that either, which isn't surprising because Morrison sucks at his job. What I saw was Santino fall down three different times when Sheamus went for the Brough Kick and then after the third miss of the kick, Santino just pinned Sheamus clean...after a slow count.

It's funny because I didn't see Morrison do that either, which isn't surprising because Morrison sucks at his job. What I saw was Santino fall down three different times when Sheamus went for the Brough Kick and then after the third miss of the kick, Santino just pinned Sheamus clean...after a slow count.

SO many people online are confused on that finish on a number of message boards.

The cut away too fast after the match, I think. It was too important that they get that STAND UP FOR WWE! shill video in there. They should have showed a replay of Morrison pulling Santino away (if he did) and then shown more of the reactions from both Santino for winning and of Sheamus for losing. Ya know? Just poorly executed. As it stands, it looks like Santino just pinned the former WWE champion.

Do we really have enough Mondo available to judge? That would be my knee jerk response too, but the Fujinami match from the 70's was easily better then any Hector singles I have seen. Clearly Chavo and Eddie were on another level, but I don't think we have the footage to judge the other two. Mondo was definitely the weirdest, as he would always do a bunch of british and maestro lucha mat stuff, and odd bumps.

Well, I mean, she's really bad, so maybe that is the reasoning? I would even say Kelly Kelly is more entertaining than Melina nowadays. Yeah, I went there. Melina just seems like a liability to me and probably should have been fired a long time ago.

So according to Tuesday's daily Herb update, WWE is mad at Melina. Did she do something to warrant it or is this another case of Vince pulling a Monty Burns "cut those sideburns" routine?

Probably has to do with her basically being the female Matt Hardy. From all the stories i've heard, the only people that like her are Jillian and Morrison. And she's a youtube shooter now.