Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread

Loss

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with bringing J-Woww in is that (I believe) Jersey Shore airs new episodes on Thursday nights within the same timeframe as Impact. And, according to what I read about the tapings, if it airs as taped the J-Woww segment airs during Jersey Shore's timeslot. So, who the hell is supposed to crossover and watch a Jersey Shore star on TNA if they're actually watching a new episode of Jersey Shore at the same time?

That is the funniest thing I've read all day. Pretty much a perfect summary of all things TNA right there.

From Mitch Ryder's facebook:

IWA MIDSOUTH LED BY THEIR CROOKED BOSS IAN ROTTEN ARE RUNNING A SHOW IN NEW ALBANY, INDIANA ON SATURDAY, OCTOBER 23RD.! THATS RIGHT, MY TOWN! THE TOWN I HAVE BUSTED MY BALLS IN FOR 3 YEARS RUNNING XCW MIDWEST. AND AS MOST OF YOU KNOW, WE HAVE BEEN WITHOUT A BUILDING IN NEW ALBANY FOR A COUPLE MONTHS. WE ARE RUNNING CORYDON MONTHLY AND DOING GREAT! WE WERE IN THE PROCESS OF TRYING TO LAND A NEW BUILDING IN NEW ALBANY. ENTER...IAN ROTTEN TO SAY I AM MAD IS A HUGE UNDERSTATEMENT. OVER 3 YEARS AGO, WHILE I WAS STARTING XCW MIDWEST IN NEW ALBANY; IAN WAS LIVING IN THE CHICAGO AREA WHICH IS MOSTLY WHERE HE WAS RUNNING IWA. HE HAD NOT RAN A SHOW IN SOUTHERN INDIANA FOR A GOOD WHILE. I KNEW ALL THIS YET I STILL CALLED WHO I CONSIDERED A FRIEND, A BROTHER IN THE BUSINESS AND EARNER OF MY RESPECT;IAN ROTTEN. "IAN!" I SAID,"THIS IS JUST A COURTESY CALL TO LET YOU KNOW THAT I AM GOING TO START RUNNING XCW IN SOUTHERN INDIANA ON A REGULAR BASIS" "I WANT YOUR BLESSING BOSS" (AS I USED TO CALL HIM) WE LAUGHED AND TALKED, LIKE THE FRIENDS WE WERE. NATURALLY, HE CONSENTED TO MY REQUEST. SO, TO THE PRESENT. NO, I DIDN'T GET MY COURTESY CALL. JUST LIKE A THIEF IN THE NIGHT! I AM NOT GOING TO LET THIS GO! I JUST STARTED BACK IN EVANSVILLE AFTER BEING OUT FOR A WHILE FOR NECK SURGERY. GUESS WHO WAS SUPPOSED TO DEBUT IN EVANSVILLE THIS PAST WEEK? IAN ROTTEN. I PUT THE KABOSH ON THAT WITH A LITTLE STROKE I HAVE DOWN THERE. I GOT IAN BUMPED AND AM PROUD OF IT! I WAS IN THE RING LAST NIGHT AND GUESS WHO I AM DISTRACTED BY? NON OTHER THAN IAN ROTTEN AND HIS STOOGE OX HARLEY! WHAT A HOAX! THOSE FOOLS BOUGHT TICKETS TO PUBLICLY HUMILIATE ME. IAN WAS HOLLERING PERSONAL THINGS THAT WAS WAY BELOW THE BELT AND HE WILL BE SO SORRY FOR EVERY HUMILIATING ME THIS WAY! THERES A FEW THINGS YOU JUST DON'T DO AND TO TRASH ME AFTER YOU STEAL MY TOWN? LISTEN CLOSELY ALL THAT READ THIS AND I PRAY YOUR ONE OF THEM IAN, I WON'T DISCOURAGE ANYONE OF YOU TO STAY AWAY FROM THAT SHOW. QUITE THE CONTRARY; I HOPE THE PLACE IS PACKED! I DON'T WANT ANYONE TO MISS THIS! HE WHO LAUGHS LAST, LAUGHS THE LOUDEST! COME THE 23RD IN MY TOWN, I AM GOING TO BRING IAN ROTTEN TO HIS KNEES AND AFTER I UNLEASH MY FURY ON YOUR SHOW, AND I WILL LAUGH LOUDER THAN YOU EVER HAVE!

New Albany is basically north Louisville. Might have to catch the show on the 23rd.

Nash & Waltman, drunk & baked off their asses just burying the fuck out of people and burning bridges? Yes, please!

Waltman was the latest guest on Colt's podcast. Haven't listened to it yet, still trying to catch up with my tardiness on this damn DVDVR "watch 31 horror movies in October" project, but I can't wait.

Dixie & Eric treating this angle like it's a shoot on Twitter is fantastic.

Dixie just posted this

Hulk & Eric (mostly Eric) have already run one company out of business. They will not do that to mine no matter what they think.

I've read that five times and still can't decide if it is the setup, or the punchline.

God bless Dixie, and TNA. They need all the spiritual intervention they can get.

Dixie & Eric treating this angle like it's a shoot on Twitter is fantastic.

Dixie just posted this

Hulk & Eric (mostly Eric) have already run one company out of business. They will not do that to mine no matter what they think.

Best Dixie Twit ever. It's amazing, on so many levels.

About a week or so ago, Dixie on Twitter mentioned something about praying for Hogan because he was in the hospital getting surgery or something. I replied saying he doesn't need any help because he's immortal.

Now the group in TNA is called Immortal and Abyss is cutting promos about how Hulkamania will never die and Hogan is Immortal.

I'm sure it's completely coincidental, but it makes me feel special, damnit!

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2010/10/15/17...place-a-top-guy

Any old sheet readers (or people with Torch pay site accounts if stuff from the period is there) know what exactly was up with The Pearl besides the obvious (need new Muta, use undercard guy who can do moonsault, pretend it never happened when it bombs)? There's nothing I can find in the WONs from the period.

Wade is up through May 19, 1990 in the Torch... so he hasn't gotten there yet.

The falling out with Gary Hart is perhaps a bit overplayed, as is the manager outside the ring part. Mutoh was alway going to be going back to Japan, and was due (given how long he'd been gone) to leave pretty much when he did. There's only so much "managing" that someone in the US can do of a New Japan or All Japan wrestler. At some point in 1990, Mutoh was going to return for the big push.

John

He worked the Clash in February and won the IWGP Tag Titles in April. I don't think he was out long, if at all. I'd have to look at the JWJ to see if he worked before the 4/27 show where he and Chono won the titles, though it might have been his return and them working the "big moment" for it.

If I recall correctly, he was suppose to work the Feb Dome show opposite of Flair, and Flair pulling out was one of the things that led to AJPW doing the show.

If the knee had anything to do with when he left, it simply was one of the things that moved along what was going to always happen. Flair bailing on the Dome show didn't help.

John

That brings me to another question, what exactly was the final straw that ended the NWA/All-Japan relationship because I'm at 1989 TV for the 80's project and I went through the whole Clash debacle in Cleveland with Tenryu but they kept bringing in NWA guys like Steamer who replaced Flair after he won the title, then Sting, & others until it just ended but the way they booked Steamer when he was there was odd as it was against mostly midcarders.

The impression I get is that Baba didn't necessarily have interest in having NWA guys work his shows regularly, but he had great interest in using Sting. So my takeaway was that Baba wasn't opposed to getting NWA stars on his events, but Sting is the one he thought he could make a star.

I don't know if there was an exact final straw.

It had been growing for years with Flair finding reasons to cancel AJPW appearances. It seems that AJPW wasn't enthused about Steamboat coming over, hence him getting pushed down with Misawa at a time when Misawa wasn't getting a push. There had been that "talk" about Flair-Tenryu that Dave was pimping. It seemed by 1989 there was very little of value that Baba was getting out of his relationship with NWA/Crockett.

There's often been an attempt to toss out that the Triple Crown was created because Baba was tired of the NWA issues. I'm not completely sold on that, though it might have has a small amount to do with it. Baba already unified the tag titles, and unified that PWF & UN Titles. There were a number of Int'l vs PWF&UN title matches before Baba unified them in 4/89. It seems like it was his plan going back at least to early 1988. The fact that he never again introduced true secondary titles as the UN had been in the 70s or the PWF and Int'l tags were to each other in the 80s seems to indicate that he was strongly convinced that title-o-rama was something he didn't want.

Overall, I think Baba just got to the point that he felt he couldn't trust the US promotions in a fashion similar to how he'd done business in the 70s and early 80s, *and* that there was decreasing value in gaijin being supplied. Not much value added, and he was moving in the direction of simply developing his own "crew". No big gaijin being consistently delived by Crockett, since the RW deal seemed between Baba and the RW's. At a point it's similar to New Japan and Vince: you're not gettng much from them, and you might as well just plan your promotion without them.

The strange thing in all this is that Sting did come in for the 6/89 Budokan, and that had to be through Crockett in some form. So it was a strange thing.

John

The impression I get is that Baba didn't necessarily have interest in having NWA guys work his shows regularly, but he had great interest in using Sting. So my takeaway was that Baba wasn't opposed to getting NWA stars on his events, but Sting is the one he thought he could make a star.

Sting put over Spivey. Not the typical way Baba treated new gaijin that he planned to make stars. :)

He (or Mrs. Baba) did want Sting. But it was for a one-off: Sting didn't even work the series. And he went down and was never seen again.

That was one of my points: there isn't a clear straw, and instead Baba just getting to the point where he didn't get any value out of Crockett (which was all that remained of the NWA at that point). You just start running your business assuming that they won't be around.

John

Well it was through Turner then since Crockett was gone but regarding the Roadies, their last match with AJPW was the March Budokan show so I'm guessing that Turner basically kaboshed a lot of the guys getting booked over there other than some exceptions like Sting & The Dynamic Dudes. Flair & Japan was an interesting situation as if you watch the matches Flair never looked enthused to be there and they would go long intervals not working together which was way different than it was when Race was the champ.

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2010/10/15/17...place-a-top-guy

Any old sheet readers (or people with Torch pay site accounts if stuff from the period is there) know what exactly was up with The Pearl besides the obvious (need new Muta, use undercard guy who can do moonsault, pretend it never happened when it bombs)? There's nothing I can find in the WONs from the period.

Skimming through August 1990's Torches, I only found this very brief blurb.

Issue # 81 (8/9/90) - "The Pearl appearing on last weekend's TV show was Ranger Ross in a full-body outfit imitating Great Muta's moves...