Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread

Loss

So according to Tuesday's daily Herb update, WWE is mad at Melina. Did she do something to warrant it or is this another case of Vince pulling a Monty Burns "cut those sideburns" routine?

So when she winds up in TNA will Mick Foley push for her to be booked as his storyline girlfriend and pepper all promos with sexual innuendo?

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching the Invasion PPV really shows how bad WWF screwed up this angle. The crowd at the PPV was red-hot for everything the whole night, even the joke of a match between Earl Hebner and Nick Patrick.

Also, as far as X-Pac heat goes, William Regal got booed even worse than X-Pac at the PPV.

Guest kowking

Anybody watch the iPPV last night?

Considering how every one of those seems beset by technical difficulties, I don't think even the folks who watched it were able to watch it.

Actually, I watched it -- but I didn't get in until after the second match. Supposedly there were audio problems up to homicide's match but the rest of the show went off without a hitch, at least for me.

I thought it was a pretty good show. Liked Jacobs/Moxley but it wasn't the best I Quit match this month, which I think goes to Corino/Cabana. Really good Shingo/BxB Hulk match. Yoshino versus Austin Aries was good too but they were a little off for the start of the match and the crowd was terribly quiet.

Mando worked Northwest a little but other than that he mostly worked the dead LeBell promotion then SoCal indies.

FWIW He did some work in the AWA in and around 1988, both in singles and tags. Well past his "prime" (I hate that using that word regarding wrestlers since it's so subjective) at that point.

Sad day yesterday, as Edouart Carpentier passed away at 84 years old.

He was basically the reason why I became a wrestling fan. His enthousiasm announcing the matches is what sold me on wrestling. I still have tons of memories of him and his little catchphrases and idiosyncrasies. He was fun as hell. Since the youtube era I was able to watch a few of his matches, and he seemed very inovative for his days.

Anyway, without you, I wouldn't be there talking about wrestling like I've been for the last 10 years, and I wouldn't have been a wrestling fan for the last 20 years. So long Eddy...

Mando worked Northwest a little but other than that he mostly worked the dead LeBell promotion then SoCal indies.

FWIW He did some work in the AWA in and around 1988, both in singles and tags. Well past his "prime" (I hate that using that word regarding wrestlers since it's so subjective) at that point.

Hector/Mando/Chavo vs Cactus Jack & the Rock and Roll RPMs at SuperClash III was a nice little six man match, even though at least 2/3rds of the Guerreros had probably seen better days in the ring by that point.

Sad day yesterday, as Edouart Carpentier passed away at 84 years old.

Heck, I didn't even know he was still alive. I haven't seen many Carpentier matches, maybe a dozen at most, but he was obviously a really talented guy. He could take a relative slug like Killer Kowalski and drag an exciting match out of him.

Who's the earliest living former World Title claimant now that Carpentier is gone? Gagne?

Yeah, Gagne by far. He, Bruno, and Dory are the only guys still alive who won any major American "world title" before the 70s. Unless I'm totally forgetting some asterisk champion, of course.

Probably missing some:

02/26/26 Verne Gagne (AWA)

09/14/29 Mad Dog Vachon (AWA)

07/11/30 The Destroyer (WWA / AWA)

12/06/34 Nick Bockwinkel (AWA)

10/06/35 Bruno Sammartini (WWWF)

03/16/37 Mark Lewin (WWA)

02/03/41 Dory Funk Jr (NWA)

02/01/42 Masa Saito (AWA)

08/25/42 Ivan Koloff (WWWF)

11/22/42 Pedro Morales (WWA / WWWF)

02/20/43 Antonio Inoki (NWA / UWA / WWF)

03/15/43 Iron Sheik (WWF)

04/11/43 Harley Race (NWA)

06/07/43 Billy Graham (WWWF)

04/03/44 Tiger Jeet Singh (NWF / UWA)

06/30/44 Terry Funk (NWA)

03/30/45 Ron Garvin (NWA)

08/24/45 Vince McMahon (WWF)

10/12/45 Dusty Rhodes (NWA)

01/18/46 Perro Aguayo (UWA)

02/25/48 Ric Flair (NWA / WCW / WWF)

08/27/48 Sgt Slaughter (WWF)

08/14/49 Bob Backlund (WWF)

08/29/49 Stan Hansen (AWA / Triple Crown)

11/29/49 Jerry Lawler (AWA)

Could mix in Mil for holding the "Mil Title" forever. Perro has held several other versions of the world titles, though I don't think any have quite the cha-ching of the UWA Title.

On Flair's DOB, I could swear that Dave pointed out at some point that 1949 was a work and the 1948 was real... unless I'm misremembering it and it was 1950 being a work and 1949 being real.

Anyway, the lack of NWA until the 40s is a bit jarring. The group older than Dory has passed pretty quickly in the last half decade or so.

John

Pre-'70s there's still Pedro Morales (WWA), Dick Beyer (WWA), Mad Dog Vachon (AWA), and Mark Lewin (WWA).

I forgot Vachon was still alive, yeah he counts. But does the WWA really count as a "world" belt? That territory was smaller and more regional than the either the AWA or WWWF. Except for one weird exception in Korea, every single WWA title change took place in southern California, mostly in Los Angeles. And they were only around for about a decade anyway.

Dara Singh is still alive and he's older than all but Gagne.

What world belt did he have? The usual sources only list a few obscure foreign titles.

What world belt did he have? The usual sources only list a few obscure foreign titles.

None, but its more worthwhile identifying the wrestling legends rather than the world title holders. Gorgeous George was never (widely recognized) world champion and he was one of the most important wrestlers of his era.

I think for the purpose of S.L.L.'s question the issue was world title claimant's (and I'd assume he meant major world title's and wouldn't consider the middleweight title runs of guys like White Man/Alberto Munoz who has to have beeen born in early thirties, Humberto Garza or Septiembre Negro who I'm guessing were born in mid to late 30s,or Angelo Mosca's Tv title, or the NWA midget title run of Lord Littlebrook who is listed as being born in 29).

I think for the purpose of S.L.L.'s question the issue was world title claimant's (and I'd assume he meant major world title's and wouldn't consider the middleweight title runs of guys like White Man/Alberto Munoz who has to have beeen born in early thirties, Humberto Garza or Septiembre Negro who I'm guessing were born in mid to late 30s,or Angelo Mosca's Tv title, or the NWA midget title run of Lord Littlebrook who is listed as being born in 29).

Correct. The other question may be more worthwhile, but as no question about wrestling is truly worthwhile other than maybe "why are they all dying so young?" and "how do we stop it?", I think it's fair to let me ask my little trivia question without it being dismissed as less important than a slightly bigger trivia question.

Also, for the purpose of my question, it's not "who is the oldest living World Title claimant", but "who is the earliest living World Title claimant". As in, "of the guys who are still alive, who claimed a World Title first?". In poking around wrestling-titles.com, I've found the answer is, as I initially suspected, Verne Gagne.

Also, for the purpose of my question, it's not "who is the oldest living World Title claimant", but "who is the earliest living World Title claimant". As in, "of the guys who are still alive, who claimed a World Title first?". In poking around wrestling-titles.com, I've found the answer is, as I initially suspected, Verne Gagne.

Probably Gagne in 1958.

Enrique Torres (LA World Champ after the war and before Baron Leone) died a couple of years ago.

It's possible that someone holding something like the MWA World Title (which revolved around Orville Brown) is still alive. That title morphed into the NWA Title with Brown.

It's possible that one of the holders of the Montreal version of the world title is still alive. Gino Garibaldi first held it in 1943 and only passed in 2008. Then again, Verne won that for the first time in 1953... so that blocks anyone winning it for the first time after him, and it morphed into the International title within the next 4-8 years.

So we'd be trolling small world titles. It's very likely that there's at least one out there given how many different world titles there were before the NWA started cleaning things up (and even after). But not really a major one.

It does show you how quickly we get to Nick and Bruno after Verne and Mad Dog pass. I didn't think of Nick or Bruno as all that old before putting that list above together, though I thought of them as "old" wrestlers when I started watching in 1986. Perhaps it's because they bowed out for good right around then, while we've watched guys like Flair and Hogan continue to get older in the ring. In a sense Nick and Bruno have been frozen in my head as the 50+ year old guys in 1986 rather than adding in another quarter century.

John

It does show you how quickly we get to Nick and Bruno after Verne and Mad Dog pass. I didn't think of Nick or Bruno as all that old before putting that list above together, though I thought of them as "old" wrestlers when I started watching in 1986. Perhaps it's because they bowed out for good right around then, while we've watched guys like Flair and Hogan continue to get older in the ring. In a sense Nick and Bruno have been frozen in my head as the 50+ year old guys in 1986 rather than adding in another quarter century.

John

Probably because Nick and Bruno are in better shape as 70+ year old guys now than some of the 50 year old guys still trying to hang on today.

I mentioned TNAnonymous returning to twitter in another thead, well it looks like someone narc'd on him and management is giving him his release. He promised to post a video Monday on YouTube both revealing who he is and giving a full detailed explanation of his tale.

Guest kowking

I mentioned TNAnonymous returning to twitter in another thead, well it looks like someone narc'd on him and management is giving him his release. He promised to post a video Monday on YouTube both revealing who he is and giving a full detailed explanation of his tale.

IT WAS ME TWITTER

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG