Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread

Loss

Oh my God, this one is going to be *really* pathetic :

Nash acts as if it was him who headlined MSG in 1994-95, not the WWF brand. Nash loves to throw out that he's a big star because he's main-evented cards at MSG. Does he really not realize he was never, ever a legitimate draw? He was over as an Intercontinental champion mid-card act and really over as a mid-card tag team act in WCW who happened to be part of the hottest act in wrestling but when left on his own at the top of the card his "charisma" and in-ring work turned away more fans than it turned on. His WCW championship reigns saw ratings drop by half in six months and his WWE feud with Triple-H was brief and disastrous. The only T-shirts he ever sold had him and another guy's face on them and someone else's wildly popular logo splayed across the back. TNA hasn't cracked a 1.5.

Who the hell does Kevin Nash think he is?

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched Ed Wood today for the first time in a long time. Watching an overly optimistic filmmaker with minimal talent hustling and conning his way into making movies, and the growing cabal of "unique" individuals he collected along the way, reminded me of independent wrestling.

You'd love Bill Veeck.

Watched Ed Wood today for the first time in a long time. Watching an overly optimistic filmmaker with minimal talent hustling and conning his way into making movies, and the growing cabal of "unique" individuals he collected along the way, reminded me of independent wrestling.

You'd love Bill Veeck.

Oh, I do. And I love the Ed Wood movie. He's so optimistic and yet... so terrible. Like a lot of indy wrestling.

Who the hell does Kevin Nash think he is?

A guy who currently gets his jollies twittering silly shit and doing shoots acting silly in order to get a laugh when marks are over reacting to his BS that he knows is BS.

I can accept this; though, on the other hand, it's hard for me to believe he's BS-ing when he's been acting like he's one of five guys who ever drew in history for much of the last fifteen years.

Wasn't it Muto's knee surgery or something that prevented him from coming back.

Looking back through the JWJ:

The tag title change was Mutoh's first show back with NJPW. NJPW didn't run any other shows in April, and were pretty limited in what they ran in May (just three shows) so he had an extended amount of time "mostly off" due to the choice to save him for that big show and the scheduling.

The JWJ did mention his knee in talking about the match. Mutoh also banged up the knee on the first night of their three-night stand in April, which caused him to miss the other two nights which included missing a Mutoh-Hash singles match that was one of the selling points of the shows.

He was back in June, part of the Choshu series of singles matches with the Three Musketeers: going over Mutoh and Chono before putting Hash over for the second of three straight years (1989 Dome Show and 1991 G-1 being the others).

So Karis is right: the knee was an issue for Mutoh in that stretch. He's had so many knee injuries that it's hard to keep track of them, but this was one of them. :)

Don't think it had a great deal of an impact with his WCW tenrue ending. Guys usually headed out for about a year away from Japan, sometimes more, sometimes less. Given the push of Hash being a key story the year before, and Chono's increasing push (want to say it started in late 1989), Mutoh was due to comeback and be part of what was very clearly Choshu's long term plan to elevate the next generation.

John

I don't think he was going to come back later in 1990 *for long* as a babyface.

Even before Misawa-Jumbo, Choshu was moving the ball foward on the next generation. He wasn't going to let one of those three spend another year, or even six months, working in the US when he could be part of NJPW's storylines. After Misawa-Jumbo, if Mutoh was still in the US wrapping up his storyline with Sting, the recall would have come even quicker.

We know how the two Japanese compaines operated in that era, and even earlier: guys were sent away so they could be brought back with a new, higher push. Mission accompished for the second time with Mutoh, and there really was no further he could go in the US: the most successful run by a Japanese wrestler sent over like that since the 60s. He already was brought back one in 1987 and got a push out of the undercards. He was due to return in 1990 and get the big push to the next level. Which he did get.

John

Looking back at the WWE filings with the SEC, I see this:

In July 2002, we prevailed in our defamation lawsuit against the Parents Television Council (the "PTC"), Brent Bozell III, et al. and have reached a settlement. As a result of this settlement, we received $3.5 million plus a public apology. We will reflect this settlement in our consolidated financial statements for the first quarter of fiscal 2003.

I don't remember that lawsuit. $3.5M from those PTC douchebags is pretty funny.

John

Guest Slickster

Kevin Nash on the Immortal faction and on getting heat:

“I was there the night they put it together. If they go with heat and real heat and let these guys run the company for quite some time. The thing about the NWO is we probably got heat on the company for six months. Now the biggest problem in the business right now is Fortune got heat off the old ECW guys. They got a good set of heat on those guys on TV when they beat them up and split everybody open. The next week those guys came back and made a comeback on them. So any heat they got the week before was nullified. Joe Hamilton told me a long time ago when I was breaking in was, ‘The thing about heat is it’s like a hot air balloon. The longer you let that flame go underneath that hot air balloon the higher it rises.

“Every time a babyface touches that hot air balloon, as far as touching the heat or touching the heel, you draw back down. If you go week in and week out of going back and forth, the balloon never leaves the ground. The thing about heat is you know it works when the babyfaces in the company walk into the booking room and start complaining.

“When the guys that aren’t the marks start complaining you know that the marks are already sick of it. That leads the buyrates and that leads to people start pulling for the babyfaces to pull it together. If you appease the people and the babyfaces, you will never get heat. Heats is always drawing money.”

Nash is correct to a point, but he's also notorious for manipulating that point.

While it shouldn't be "heel wins one week, face the next," it should be that, at some point before the blowoff, the face gets "one up" on the heel that keeps the heel on his toes, rather than the heel prevailing every time until the blowoff match.

Of course, but we know how Nash actually does things when he gets his way : heel Nash gets its heat, build the heat, the babyface really never gets back at him, and worse of all, Nash acts cool to get babyface reactions from the fans, hence killing the babyface for good.

I love how Kevin Nash of all people is explaining how to draw money...

Yep. Seemingly every bit of psychology that Nash ever explains is just one more excuse for why he never loses.

"No, you don't understand, it's good for business if I consistently make the babyfaces look like shit!" That goes along with the old "the money is in the chase" theory, which has been readily disproven on countless occasions.

Was Hamilton known for the "feign heart trouble to get out of jobbing in blow-off match on undercard of most well-built pay-per-view card in promotion history" booking strategy?

Or did he come up with the "five years after feigning heart trouble reveal in dirtsheet interview that you actually just ate one too many hash brownies and had a bad trip" philosophy?

The problem with Hamiltons idea is that nowadays guys rather want to be the cool heel or be funny, so the classic face-heel structure isn't comparable to todays situation

The problem with Hamilton's idea is that he doesn't know shit about hot air ballooning. Goal of most hot air balloonists isn't to just rise in altitude until you run out of gas and die. It's to have a controlled flight, and then to land safely to fly again another day. Once a pilot reaches the desired altitude, they'll only turn the burners on again occasionally to maintain that altitude, and will only do so for a few seconds at a time. Even if you had infinite gas, you'd still have to deal with heavy winds that would make your flight uncontrollable at higher altitudes, severe changes in pressure in the upper atmosphere, and, of course, the vacuum of space. How is explosive decompression good for business?

An accurate "hot air ballooning-to-wrestling" booking model would be to have the heels get hot by dominating the faces until they get as over as they can without the fans getting sick of it (dangerously high winds at excessive altitudes), letting the faces start to get their licks in (leveling off so you can actually control the flight), let the fight go back and forth with both sides getting their licks in (maintaining the desired altitude), and then letting the faces get the edge and ultimately win, albeit still giving the heels enough so that it's not just a total squash (achieving a smooth landing, controlling the speed of descent instead of just free falling).