Pro Wrestling Only

Ridiculous quotes from WO.com columnists

sek69

Interesting response from Gabe on the Observer forums

Pfurlong8,

You basically called me a liar and disregarded every point I made. I don't know what else I can tell you. I tried. I'm not going to state everything again. You are obviously going to believe what you want. There is no comparison between the absolute destruction of one of the few major revenue streams for all of indy wrestling and working for a company while it was paying ECW significant money, paying wrestlers for shoot interviews, paying numerous indy promotions and then starting Ring Of Honor, which has benefited wrestling and wrestlers greatly. I said if a pirate ever does this I'll take everything back. It's not so black and white as "you worked for a company that boolegged 10 years ago so you are a hypocrite and have no right to say anything." The bootleg game is not the same now. It is a whole different world and much more damaging. The bootleg game isn't even the same as it was two years ago, nevermind the 90s.

Spinx,

Thank you very much for making that drive and that sucks about the speeding ticket. I hope the show was a good experience for you.

As far as the other people jumping on my "people don't drive comment", it comes from the fact that almost daily I hear from people who are asking for shows in their area, when we do have shows a couple of hours away that they aren't willing to travel to anymore. It wasn't a blanket statement to cover 100% of the people out there, but I do hear now more than ever from people who will go to shows if we go right to their area but they aren't willing to drive 1-3 hours anymore for non-product related reasons.

I didn't go with "promoter talk" in this interview, instead I tried to send a real warning about what this is doing to the entire independent wrestling industry. I used EVOLVE 10 and the reason why we didn't try to do it as an example. Somehow this got twisted into people trying to put down DGUSA. I explained how all the pirating was hurting every company, which in turn just hurts the people watching it. Maybe I should have done it in another forum, but this was the one supplied to me. I then came right into this thread to try a reasonable dialogue. I can see that is not going to happen and trolls will always be trolls.

We will put on three awesome shows next week. You can support it and enjoy yourself or not watch it. I'm good either way. I feel I made a good effort in this thread so I'm moving on now to focus on making next week's shows as good as possible.

To those that support us thank you very much. We do greatly appreciate it and we will serve you as best we can. It is very important for me that everyone has a fun and memorable experience when they come to our shows or watch an iPPV. I will do my best to make that happen next weekend.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gabe really doesn't get "it". Gas is expensive. Driving 1-3 hours, one way could easily turn into close to $100. Why as a Columbus native am I going to drive to Dayton or Cleveland for DGUSA or Evolve when I can wait for the WWE or TNA to come to town? Why go to those shows when Chikara goes to smaller towns closer to me. Counting on people to travel for your shows is straight up retarded. I can see almost all of the guys he uses in other feds closer to home for cheaper.

Maybe he should buy a clue as a promoter and figure out how to make people pay for his product. Everyone else seems to be getting pirated too and some companies are getting really big. Hell, NWA Hollywood gives most of their content away for free and have developed a huge local fanbase for the television as well as a big buzz. Maybe Gabe should spend more time figuring out how companies like NWA Anarchy, NWA Hollywood, Chikara, PWG, etc. are making it work instead of crying about how his companies aren't making it.

And let's just look at Evolve. Name one thing about Evolve that separates itself from another indy out there. Wins and losses count? Okay, what does that mean long term and why do I care if wins and losses count when guys might do a couple of shots and be gone? Who wrestles for Evolve that I can't see in another promotion? What angles are going on in the company that are interesting?

I roam wrestling boards and news sites on a daily basis. I didn't know what the fuck Evolve was until they had Finley come in for a match. If I don't know what Evolve is or when they're running shows then Gabe isn't doing his job.

• 3 weeks later...

Ben Miller tweeted this to Jonathan Snowden:

@mmaencyclopedia and c'mon, J.S. You know Dave kills 25% of the columns I write & makes veiled comments against another 25%.

@mmaencyclopedia For ex. I wrote a pre-UFConFox column abt how MMA on bcast may be bad b/c uber-brutal moment cld cause backlash. didn't run

So can someone explain to me why Joe Babinsack's bad columns leak through again?

Dave is too aloof to kill columns. I suspect it's something far more innocent, like that he just overlooks them or forgets about them.

This. I send Dave plugs for the UWC stuff I do every week. It is about a 50/50 chance that the plug will run in that day's update I've sent him plugs on Wednesday that didn't run until Saturday, in some cases, after sending emails every day to remind him.

Dave is too aloof to kill columns. I suspect it's something far more innocent, like that he just overlooks them or forgets about them.

There is truth in that but UFC/Yahoo Sports is a significant part of Dave's bread and butter. I get the impression Dave also likes Ben in the sense he would actually read his POV before putting it up.

Dave is very cautious of controversy you can see that on the B&V show as Bryan has recently taken to editing out certain swear words and slurs out of shows when that used to be overlooked.

There is truth in that but UFC/Yahoo Sports is a significant part of Dave's bread and butter. I get the impression Dave also likes Ben in the sense he would actually read his POV before putting it up.

Well, there was that column where Dave accidentally posted his email exchange with Ben including his advice and the original draft.

• 3 weeks later...

Good Lord, the latest Bryan show with Todd Martin is the most Bryan-est show ever. Todd makes the point that in real sports sometimes the worst team beats the best team, but that doesn't mean the lesser team takes the better team's spot (in the context of explaining why when main eventers have to face JTTS's to get a shot at the title in pro wrestling, the JTTS guy wouldn't get a shot if he were to theoretically win the match). Bryan's normally embarrassing lack of any knowledge or understanding of real sports makes him look like a complete tool arguing things like NBA/NFL teams have ranking (they don't) and that guys who win upsets in MMA get title matches if the guy they upset was in line for a shot (sometimes they do but not usually). He tries to play the card that MMA books solely on marketability of fighters which Todd surprisingly shoots down as a quote-unquote "as a bullshit Dave line". Bryan just keeps coming up with more and more impossible hypothetical scenarios that supposedly back up his argument, and Todd shoots down every one, and Bryan just gets more obnoxious in his stubbornness to the point of willful ignorance.

It's actually perversely entertaining watching a guy who's supposed to be one of the top voices in his field sounding like the exact same kind of obstinate troll he rages about on the boards.

Damn... too bad I let my sub lapse as that almost is something that would make me listen to one of those podcasts for a change. Have to respect Todd for standing up to it, and shooting it down. The ""as a bullshit Dave line" is an all-time classic. :)

John

The context made it really funny as both were yelling at each other and it just escaped out in an oh shit maybe I shouldnt have said that in that way.

I love that even Todd Martin comes across as the voice of reason when "debating" Alvarez

Like I always say Todd is often contemptible in the written word he but is very smart and funny in conversation. I honestly think you two would get along in real life.

I actually went to the board to see what the fallout was, the thread for the show had 3 and a half pages of EVERYONE (even other WO.com folks like Alan4L and Mike) saying Bryan was wrong, the only "bryan was right" post was from Bryan himself that he reply-as-quoted several times. Then on page 4 he was all "6 years later I still can get a reaction" so evidently it was all just his master plan to show he can werk the boys instead of him being a stubborn shit. Of course, there's only like 6 years of recorded history in the archives that suggest otherwise.

Chuck Langerman's daily wrestling trivia is about Bob Barnett of Huntington Beach, CA. Barnett is a divorce lawyer who graduated from Westchester High School in Los Angeles, Cal State Northridge and Northrop Law School. He grew up in New York City and was friends with Jon Bauman of the band ShaNaNa. His father was a lawyer who worked with the head of the New York State Athletic Commission. Vince McMahon Sr. would often come to the law offices and on several occasions, 12-year-old Vincent Kennedy McMahon would be with his father. Bob and Vince knew each other and both had the same favorite wrestler at the time, Dr. Jerry Graham and both enjoying throwing cherry bombs in toilets. What a shocker. "Vince was a smartass like myself," he remembered.

Only a matter of time until jdw's turn or something. lol

I actually went to the board to see what the fallout was, the thread for the show had 3 and a half pages of EVERYONE (even other WO.com folks like Alan4L and Mike) saying Bryan was wrong, the only "bryan was right" post was from Bryan himself that he reply-as-quoted several times. Then on page 4 he was all "6 years later I still can get a reaction" so evidently it was all just his master plan to show he can werk the boys instead of him being a stubborn shit. Of course, there's only like 6 years of recorded history in the archives that suggest otherwise.

I take that as Bryan's way of admitting he was wrong without admitting he was wrong?

John

I take that as Bryan's way of admitting he was wrong without admitting he was wrong?

John

Pretty much the way I read it. He did a "Todd was right" post that came across like a smarmy heel not believing what he was saying, so I guess the gimmick now is any time he gets completely clowned in a debate he's just werkin'.

Also those daily trivia blurbs were all worth it for the payoff of a young Bob Barnett and VKM blowing up toilets.