Pro Wrestling Only

Ridiculous quotes from WO.com columnists

sek69

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it is Stormfront is seriously huge and international.

Id be strongly aware of the Irish subforum there. As I helped fundraise for the Róisín Dubh Foundation to get a statute of Phil Lynott of Thin Lizzy in Dublin's City Centre. Anyway there was a lot of posts on there about attacking and doing things to the statue which ultimately did happen. The media also ran with quotes from there calling Phil who is super well accepted as part of the fabric of the City all of sorts of racial horrible names.

So tomorrow, Bryan Alvarez is going to be making his first appearance ever on the Sherdog roundtable for a UFC PPV breakdown. Meltzer has come out on that before numerous times, he's friendly with those guys and some of those guys grew up reading him. So Meltzer's fine in that since he'll just give some fight predictions and some business thoughts if someone in that crew asks him about it. If Alvarez acts on this Sherdog show the way he acts on his F4W podcasts, it will be really embarrassing.

So tomorrow, Bryan Alvarez is going to be making his first appearance ever on the Sherdog roundtable for a UFC PPV breakdown. Meltzer has come out on that before numerous times, he's friendly with those guys and some of those guys grew up reading him. So Meltzer's fine in that since he'll just give some fight predictions and some business thoughts if someone in that crew asks him about it. If Alvarez acts on this Sherdog show the way he acts on his F4W podcasts, it will be really embarrassing.

Oh god I hope Bryan swots up on his knowledge of fighters and coaches. Talking about "buzz", buys, babyfaces & heels and largely guessing his predictions simply wont cut it there.

How did he end up doing on sherdog?

I honestly didn't think he did as bad as I thought going in. I'm not that big of a fan of Bryan as I find his "personality" to be grating and he comes off really obnoxious since he lives in the wrestling bubble which doesn't work when breaking down MMA. That said there was only a couple of times where he came off embarrassing. He was asked about a fighter who was fighting on the show and he went on about how he had no idea who the guy was. Shouldn't Bryan have maybe done some research and looked to see if there was any footage on youtube of the guy fighting or read a bit up on the guys who are fighting so he can form an opinion when he knew he was going to be on a preview show where he is supposed to be an expert for an audience of hardcores? It's not like Bryan has to work a normal job where he can't put a couple of hours of research so he could has an educated opinion on all 20-26 fighters fighting on the card.

I didn't think Tristen Critchfield who joined Jack, Breen, and Bryan on the roundtable offered much of anything to the show as his connection was really weak as he wasn't that audible when he spoke. He pretty much let the aforementioned 3 carry the show as the 3 of them can talk and talk and talk and sounded like they were on much better equipment to do the show.

Am I the only one that would like Dave to do some solo interviews on the site w/Bryan just producing? Bryan is on so much and can be really grating that it would it be nice to hear Dave just rap with an interview subject w/o Bryan constantly chiming in especially if they're from the MMA World or are older wrestlers who competed before Bryan started being a fan. I'm sure there are people that subscribe because of Bryan's work but Dave is the draw.

Am I the only one that would like Dave to do some solo interviews on the site w/Bryan just producing?

Yeah, i'd be perfectly fine never hearing Alvarez again actually. He's smart/lucky enough to constantly surround himself with ppl I do want to listen to however so we're stuck with him coming along for the ride.

Of the ppl he does shows with regularly I enjoy Vinny, Meltzer, Storm & Dr Lucha, even enjoy the segments with Granny most weeks. I liked the After Dark spin off show he did with Karl Stern too but that was mostly for Stern & his guest. Despite being an abysmal interviewer most of the F4 Daily guest are good enough to carry things and make them worth listing to as well.

The Todd Martin shows are unbearably bad and a lot of that is due to Alvarez being at his worst on thear. Constantly trolling & arguing for the sake of it and talking in the most annoying manner possible & randomly screaming for no good reason.

Am I the only one that would like Dave to do some solo interviews on the site w/Bryan just producing?

Yeah, i'd be perfectly fine never hearing Alvarez again actually. He's smart/lucky enough to constantly surround himself with ppl I do want to listen to however so we're stuck with him coming along for the ride.

I want one euro each time he says "Listen" at the beginning of a sentence.

Not that this should surprise anyone, but someone who works for Smart Mark Video posted this in a Joe Babinsack thread at THE BOARD:

I just want to say: this guy's emails to people trying to get complimentary DVDs so he can "review them" are totally douchey and come off as this weird form of blackmail. Fuck this guy.

Greetings!

Joe Babinsack here. I write reviews for Dave Meltzer's Wrestling Observer/Figure Four web site.

I would be very, very much interested in reviewing the Ultra Mantis Black "Strangeways" DVD and hyping it. I also write for other publications, and would spread the word anywhere I can.

(I already asked CHIKARA, but they said they can't give me this one.)

If there are any other opportunities to review, I'd love to see any other DVD's. I try to cover the indy wrestling scene (just like you guys!) and I get regular copies from ROH, Dragon Gate/Evolve and other promotions, as well as books from ECW Press and others.

In the end, I may just buy this DVD, but I've found that the dynamics of a review copy isn't the same as paying for one. If I buy it, it will be hype for the ROH/CHIKARA angle, not so much for the DVD.

Thanks much,

Joe Babinsack

I shouldn't post this but whatever. Want to ask for a review copy of something? Cool. It's rare when anyone gets a review copy, but it doesn't hurt to ask if you do that kind of stuff. But to imply that, if you HAVE to pay for it, that it won't have the same "dynamic" and that your review for the DVD will center around an angle that has nothing to do with it? Go fuck yourself.

• 2 weeks later...