Pro Wrestling Only

California legislature passes AB5 gig-work bill, which could turn contractors into employees

C.S.

8 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

I don't really think this'll affect WWE at all. If the legislature affects CA-based companies, they won't really act beyond "hey let's make sure this doesn't reach federal levels or NY", which it seems like what they are doing. They are going to be doing shows in Cali after all, it seems.

Plus IIRC Uber Drivers can also pursue other things, whilst WWE talent cannot.

This was sort of my point (I think). WWE isn't like Uber or Lyft or whatever. Whereas various indie wrestling companies are analogous to gig work or not, the WWE doesn't actually treat its workers the same way. Its guys (mostly) don't set their own dates, they aren't free to work other jobs part time, and so on and so on.

I seem to recall Sean Waltman (?) talking about the work he did for Smokey Mountain in the early 90s. Whereas Cornette was under the impression that Vince paid them to appear, there was no extra pay involved, you work where and when you're told to work because you're an employee of WWF under contract.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's take this John Cena vodak commerical ...

Did he need Vince's permission to do this?

Could Vince have stopped him through his contract from taking on this work?

I think the WWE would justify Cena not working for other promotions as a standard non-compete clause, which would cover wrestling but not Vodka ads.

So when Cena did that Vodka ad, he must have signed an independent contract for that ad.

6 minutes ago, JerryvonKramer said:

Fill me in, does Vince now prevent talent from, let's say, doing commercials a la Macho Man doing SlimJim? Or is it only wrestling matches they are not allowed to take part in?

I believe that the talent needs to clear any commercials they have through the company, I would imagine they get a cut.

1 hour ago, Herodes said:

Yes let’s have an intelligent debate with someone who (checks Twitter for evidence)....

Why are Conservative Girls So Attractive and Liberal Girls So Ugly?

Retweets Infowars conspiracy theorists

As I've said repeatedly: leftists are the worst people in the world. The worst among you.

Retweets white supremacist Stefan Molyneux

Burger King in South Africa is dropping the word “ham” from “hamburger” to avoid offending Muslims.

Etc.

and that’s just the last day.

This is a very good summary of what an asshole Jerryvonkramer is. But because his posts about professional wrestling are well written, he gets a pass from certain individuals.  

25 minutes ago, alexoblivion said:

This is a very good summary of what an asshole Jerryvonkramer is. But because his posts about professional wrestling are well written, he gets a pass from certain individuals.  

Yeah lets not start with personal attacks. It's not going to do your argument any favors. 

WWE's 2012 SEC filing includes HHH's booking contract, which contains the following clause (emphasis added):

"In the event WRESTLER desires upon reasonable notice to PROMOTER during the Term of this Agreement either individually or through his authorized representative(s) to participate in movies, films, commercials, product endorsements, videos, television programs or similar activities, whether or not procured by PROMOTER (collectively “Permitted Activities”) and promotional events for the Permitted Activities, WRESTLER may do so subject to PROMOTER’s approval, which shall not be unreasonably withheld or delayed provided a written sublicense is executed between PROMOTER, WRESTLER and any relevant third parties and further provided WRESTLER shall not utilize the Intellectual Property in any manner in connection with such Permitted Activities without PROMOTER’s written consent, which shall not be unreasonably withheld or delayed, and that PROMOTER retains first priority, to the exclusion of any such Permitted Activities, with respect to the use and scheduling of WRESTLER’s services at all times during the Term of this Agreement, as defined herein. It is further agreed that PROMOTER shall receive from WRESTLER a management fee to reimburse PROMOTER for its reasonable administrative costs incurred in connection with WRESTLER's participation in each such Permitted Activity, provided that PROMOTER's costs shall not be less than ten percent (10%) of any fees received by WRESTLER for each such Permitted Activity described herein. Additionally, all monies earned by WRESTLER from such Permitted Activities in a specific Contract Year shall be credited against the Minimum Annual Compensation for that Contract Year as set forth in paragraph 7.1 below."

So not only are any outside endeavors subject to WWE approval, any compensation they get counts against their WWE salary.

3 hours ago, PeteF3 said:

Or they can decide, as in the case of CM Punk, to simply deny him the commercial opportunity and then turn around and give them to somebody else (Cena, Big Show, Rey, and Eve Torres in his case).

And which commercial opportunity was that exactly? (Just curious, I don't remember what you're referring to)

I’ll just put this here. I think the practice of going to an entirely unrelated twitter feed to cherry pick things and wrench them out of content to look incriminating should not be allowed here and this sort of behaviour should be grounds for a ban. I’ve deleted my entire feed to ensure this doesn’t happen again with me  but when you politely ask someone to cut something out and then they go and try to frame things to fit an entirely untrue narrative? Maybe it’s stuff like this that causes places like this board to die. I’m severely annoyed that Herodes would openly behave in such a deceitful way because we disagree over a piece of legislation which may or may not affect WWE. It’s gross and has no place at PWO. I guess I’ll go back to posting about Arenas and 1983, but seriously sort it out.

I don’t believe what he did is remotely fair game since none of it is any argument I actually made and my positions are extremely clearly laid out in the most public way possible. What he did was dishonest and the sort of thing a propagandist with an agenda might do. I don’t see how it’s in any way in keeping with the rules of this board.

21 minutes ago, JerryvonKramer said:

I’ll just put this here. I think the practice of going to an entirely unrelated twitter feed to cherry pick things and wrench them out of content to look incriminating should not be allowed here and this sort of behaviour should be grounds for a ban. I’ve deleted my entire feed to ensure this doesn’t happen again with me  but when you politely ask someone to cut something out and then they go and try to frame things to fit an entirely untrue narrative? Maybe it’s stuff like this that causes places like this board to die. I’m severely annoyed that Herodes would openly behave in such a deceitful way because we disagree over a piece of legislation which may or may not affect WWE. It’s gross and has no place at PWO. I guess I’ll go back to posting about Arenas and 1983, but seriously sort it out.

You deleted your twitter feed so you can post on a wrestling website?

4 minutes ago, Matt D said:

You deleted your twitter feed so you can post on a wrestling website?

I’m the guy who forced myself to love Dory Funk Jr. so y’know.

I just don’t like the idea of creepy little Gestapo types trying to find dirt and piece together insanely untrue things. If people must know I very publicly opposed the alt right and even had a debate with one of them to an audience of many thousands. Yes, there are some actual fascists out there and no I’m not one. As anyone who has ever watched a single video would know. But I never brought any of that stuff into PWO at all. And I think it is entirely correct to keep the board as Pro Wrestling Only.

12 hours ago, PeteF3 said:

Slim Jim, IIRC. It was one of numerous things he discussed on that infamous AoW.

Wasn't there something about being on drink cups at 7-11 too? There was a promotion going on when he was unarguably one of the top stars in the company and he was left off.