Pro Wrestling Only

The Arn Anderson podcast

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Ricky Jackson said:

I don't think you've missed much. I gave up months ago. As soon they settled into the permanent schedule of alternating between 2010s WWE and Ask Arn Anything the show died. Total waste of Arn 

Was just thinking the same thing when I went to refresh the pod just now.  This dude has freakin' AA on and he talks more modern stuff than old school !   Sad.

At least Cornette has all the mini topics broken up on his yt channel, so I can easily avoid all the modern garb. 

Yeah I was really excited about this podcast when it was first announced but it has ended up shitting the bed, for the most part.  The first couple of episodes were okay, but the formula got real tired, real quick. As far as Conrad's podcasts go, I'd rank this one next to last, above Bruce but below Eric, JR and even Tony. 

The problem is twofold.  The every other week Q&A format only really works if they get good questions, which they generally don't.  The fans who listen to this show very rarely submit interesting questions about JCP or stuff like that. It's always the same old shit. Fantasy booking, and I swear if I never head another "who would be on your Mount Rushmore" question I will die a happy man. There are also a surprising number of questions about exciting behind-the-scenes issues like which hotels are best and where is the best place to get a steak or hamburger on the road.  Riveting.

The other problem is that Arn seems loathe to say anything bad about...pretty much anybody.  That might make him a good person and a trustworthy employee, but it makes him a pretty shitty podcaster. You can tell (based on various times that the issue has come up) that Arn pretty much hates Vince McMahon.  I've lost count of the number of times that Conrad has asked Arn a Vince related question and Arn has replied with a terse "no comment."   Here's the problem with that...if you're literally getting paid to discuss WWE but you won't share your opinion of Vince McMahon, then what the hell good does that do? I swear, the only talent I can ever remember Arn burying is Enzo and Cass.  Aside from that, he either loves everybody or is vague and non-committal. Not to mention the fact that he usually tries to use most questions as an excuse to pimp AEW.

And as other people have pointed out, the alternating weeks that aren't Q&A shows seem to focus exclusively on WWE PPV's from Arn's time as an agent/producer.  I didn't care about that shit then, I care even less about it now.  I am a subscriber to Ad Free Shows, so I get all of Conrad's podcasts usually a week early, and with no ad reads.  I do a ton of walking during the day, so I end up listening to most of them, but if I am short on time the Arn podcast is usually one of the podcasts I'll skip.

On The Thread Killer's "other problem" we also don't know how extensive Arn's non-disclosure agreement was. It has been publicly reported it was very extensive and was given a lengthy non-compete. I don't think he'll ever give the real dirt or insight about the company at management level or Vince's true thoughts and decision making. 

• 1 month later...

I actually preferred the modern stuff early on. I haven't listened to Arn's shows in awhile, but it was refreshing to hear his thoughts on structuring Cena's matches and stuff. Loved hearing his analysis of why he disliked the Owens series and how the booking was mishandled there.

Same for the Nexus angle, even if that's more obvious opinion.

Also enjoyed hearing his feedback on guys like Ryback, Cesaro, and Barrett.

There's also the story about Dolph catching some heat with the office for ignoring a supposed edict to not use the superkick after Shawn's retirement match against Taker. I absolutely buy that they'd want guys to stop using the move for awhile, and I could totally see Ziggler just rolling his eyes and doing his thing anyway.

Arn put it bluntly. Dolph has made great money for a long time, and he's saved a great majority of it. He isn't job scared, but he's going to continue earning and working for the top company where he can do just that.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been catching up on this and I’ve hit April or so. Once the pandemic hit the 2010/2015 shows get a lot better because Arn actually goes back and watches things so instead of making general comments, he gets a bit more specific. For the Q+A stuff it’s a little baffling when they’ll do the same question in the span of two months but that’s on Conrad being overstretched.

I also feel like Conrad's question picking skills are the shits.

I was a big fan in the early days of the podcast, and consider Arn Anderson one of my top 3 favorite wrestlers. Weekly I sent in questions asking about his matches with Lord Steven Regal, his time in the Stud Stable, memories of wrestlers that weren't often talked about, etc. The only time one of my questions got asked, was the week where I said fuck it and asked "What is your go to meal at Bojangles?"

• 6 months later...

For those who have sworn off Arn's podcast, I'd suggest you give the last handful of episodes a go. Conrad has admitted that the feedback they've gotten hasn't been great and he's now telling Arn's story from the beginning week-by-week. It feels like an ongoing audiobook of Arn's life and Arn's a fantastic storyteller. 

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Yeah, I listened to the August and September 1988 episodes last weekend. The August one had a lot of reading over results, general comments about life on the road etc.

We got a bit more insider stuff with September and the move to WWF, hoping that continues.

• 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...