Pro Wrestling Only

NWA Powerrr

Coffey

14 hours ago, El-P said:

If I'm AEW, I'm throwing money toward Kamille & Nick Aldis now, although I could totally see WWE want both of them. Thunder Rosa would be a really good catch for anyone too, especially AEW. Dice would feel right in either IMPACT or AEW. Is there anyone else that wasn't an old TNA/IMPACT guy (like Storm, Drake or Anderson) ? 

I feel like the biggest stars NWA had, that I could see going elsewhere, especially now that Ricky Starks already left, are Kamille, Allysin Kay & Nick Aldis. Tim Storm is a great babyface but he's not exactly a spring chicken. 

Stu Bennett was awesome as a color commentator too. I also really liked David Marquez.

If I were running a promotion, the people in wrestling I would have my eye on would be Alex Hammerstone & Salina de la Renta from MLW before anyone from NWA. I would also try to get Dario Cuerto from Lucha Underground & I would see about Marquez from NWA.

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2020 at 4:18 PM, C.S. said:

I read somewhere (maybe here, maybe elsewhere?) that Prichard buried Aldis on a podcast a few weeks ago. Anyone know anything about this? 

Nick Aldis went to town on "full of shit," "asleep," "half-baked," "hasn't been paying attention" Bruce Prichard!

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/nick-aldis-calls-out-bruce-prichard-not-paying-attention-over-lacking-it-factor-comments

I believe the aforementioned interview where Nick Aldis tore into Bruce Prichard was on Busted Open.  Something else interesting came up during that interview.   Aldis talked about the positive buzz around his match with Cody at All In, the rematch at NWA 70 and that he is constantly being asked by the fans about a "rubber match" between he and Cody. Aldis mentioned that he and Cody are still close and remain in contact. Aldis said that he has a great relationship with Tony Khan, and that there is pretty much an open offer for him to go to AEW, but that he is totally committed to the NWA unless the day comes that Billy Corgan decides it's time to close up shop.  So it's good to know that if the NWA does go down, at least Aldis has an offer on the table.  Also, if Nick Aldis shows up on Dynamite unexpectedly to challenge Cody for the TNT Championship, then we can pretty much assume the NWA is dead.  I'm almost glad Bruce Prichard doesn't like Aldis, because WWE would never use him properly and he'd end up like EC3 or somebody like that.

So, with Eddie Kingston showing up last week, does it mean that his deal with the NWA was over? Because if not, I don't see why Aldis shouldn't still appear on AEW - although it might also be a matter of Aldis perceiving himself in a certain way as NWA World Heavyweight Champion where a loss to Cody would devalue his title and its prestige to him. I bet this has more to do that simply waiting for Billy Corgan to close up shop.

8 hours ago, SirEdger said:

So, with Eddie Kingston showing up last week, does it mean that his deal with the NWA was over? Because if not, I don't see why Aldis shouldn't still appear on AEW - although it might also be a matter of Aldis perceiving himself in a certain way as NWA World Heavyweight Champion where a loss to Cody would devalue his title and its prestige to him. I bet this has more to do that simply waiting for Billy Corgan to close up shop.

My understanding is very few people had a deal with the NWA of any length. Aldis did, Kingston likely didn't.

16 hours ago, SirEdger said:

*IF* Eddie signed the same extension offered to everyone a couple of months back, they are up at the end of August with a company rollover option through December.

I've NO idea about Eddie's actual contract situation is. He's playing his cards close to his vest as anyone would in his position with any common sense. But I personally do know from the AEW side AEW intends to at least bring him back for more "shots" at least. 

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a few of those old NWA-TNA weekly pay per views. But I was young and bored and missing WCW at the time. They'll get a few buys I'm sure, but not enough to make it worth it IMO. It would almost be a better idea to offer a monthly subscription with the weekly PPV's and put the Houston wrestling footage back up.

Speaking of which, did they get through all of it or was there supposed to be more that didn't get uploaded? 

6 hours ago, Flyin' Brian said:

I bought a few of those old NWA-TNA weekly pay per views. But I was young and bored and missing WCW at the time. They'll get a few buys I'm sure, but not enough to make it worth it IMO.

Yeah, I watched the weekly PPV's when TNA first started as well.  Until Vince Russo put himself on TV, because it will be a cold day in hell before I pay for seeing Vince Russo. Or anything he's even remotely involved with, for that matter.

4 hours ago, Al said:

In 2002 WWE was the only other game in town and streaming wasn’t a realistic option. There’s so much free wrestling out there right now that I don’t know what kind of demand this possibly has.

I'm probably the biggest Corgan era NWA mark I know, and even I can't honestly see myself paying to watch the NWA TV show, at least not the way it has been presented up to this point.  I paid for the first two PPV's, but that was a different thing.  I can't see paying for weekly TV. I generally loved Powerrr, but I wouldn't have paid to watch it.  I question the logic behind this business decision.  And PPV or no PPV, what are they planning to do about fans?  Even if they go back to taping at the "NWA Arena" at GPB Studios, has Georgia allowed public gatherings again?  I can't see this working as an empty arena type deal, and I thought Corgan was firmly opposed to running with no fans in attendance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...