Pro Wrestling Only

The Cancellation of Jim Cornette

fakeplastictrees

It certainly says something when so many of the bigger names of the last decade who've worked with Corny all call him out on his shit. 

Though I'm sure Corny would've preferred some sort of "if I see him again I'll kick his ass" tough guy rant. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Seth Rollins on Jim Cornette:

Not sure where the transcript is from - my friend sent it to me - but I assume PWInsider, which I avoid like the plague because the site used to contain massive adware/spyware. Maybe still does? I dunno...  

Update: Actually, it's from WWE Sheet.

93f.jpg

Best Seth Rollins promo ever.

Yeah, and speaking of sad, I must say that I find the hole Corny has been digging for himself more sad than anything else. Because if he had an opened mind about current things and would be willing to accept changes and contribute like many of his peers are doing today, you know the current crop of pro-wrestlers who have grown as wrestling fans would revere and love him to death. Instead of ending up a bitter old man feeding his own bitterness by isolating himself until he'll only be surrounded by hateful sycophants. Just sad.

Cornette is the kind of guy where if he were an employee, you would want him working from home & sending in his shit via e-mail so you don't have to deal with him face-to-face & can edit out tangents to still get to the point.

But at that point, it's easier to just not work with him. Which is a shame as he is really knowledgeable. But what can ya do?

Seth is still trash. I'm still convinced he cares more about flipping tires and doing CrossFit shit than anything to do with Becky or Jim. I don't know if Seth would know what conviction sounds like if he heard it pumped through his Beats headphones while he does burpees in his favorite black leggings or whatever the fuck.

Cornette is still the GOAT and wins by default. Seth is the kind of guy who could take off running two days early and still lose this race.

Call me cynical, but I have to question the timing of this Seth Rollins interview.

For the last couple of years Jim Cornette has been effusive in his praise of Seth Rollins claiming he should be one of the top guys in WWE etc. etc., and basically gushing all over the guy. For the longest time Jim Cornette had nothing bad to say about Seth Rollins.

However, over the last month or so, Cornette has really started to sour on Rollins, especially the ridiculous “Monday Night Messiah” gimmick. Cornette has started to become critical of Rollins work.

All of the sudden, Rollins is upset with Cornette. I have no doubt that Seth Rollins is very upset about what Cornette said about Becky Lynch. He’s right to be upset, I don’t blame him, and I agree with most of the stuff Rollins said about Cornette.

But knowing how sensitive Seth Rollins is whenever anybody says anything bad about him, I have to wonder if this interview would’ve happened at all, or if Seth wouldn’t have been quite so angry if Corny hadn’t taken shots at him recently.

23 minutes ago, SomethingSavage said:

My biggest gripe with Corny isn't his rose-colored bias for everything old school or his impossible standards. It's that he actually defends guys like Matt Morgan and Seth. I'm glad to see he's just down to the one now.

Well, Matt Morgan was monumentally misused in WWE.

He's also a big fan of Bobby Roode and in fairness, guys like that -- the fundamentally solid types who hit everything cleanly and were always where they were supposed to be in the ring -- have typically been considered the "great workers" in wrestling until recent years, when it's become more about who has the coolest moves.

On 5/20/2020 at 10:45 PM, Loss said:

I agree. When I saw that Brian Last presented him with a listener question asking if Otis was the modern Dusty Rhodes, all I could think was, "Please stop trolling."

The original idea was Brian, being Jim's friend, having a strong knowledge of old school wrestling, and having a good memory for what Jim's discussed on past shows/shoot interviews, would be the ideal co-host to keep Jim talking about the stuff he loves and out of angry ranting mode.

Then AEW launched and Jim's rants stuck a nerve with a specific subset of fans, resulting in the show's popularity exploding. So they're never gonna go back to the old, better format because it's been the much less lucrative one.

14 hours ago, SomethingSavage said:

Seth is still trash. I'm still convinced he cares more about flipping tires and doing CrossFit shit than anything to do with Becky or Jim. I don't know if Seth would know what conviction sounds like if he heard it pumped through his Beats headphones while he does burpees in his favorite black leggings or whatever the fuck.

Cornette is still the GOAT and wins by default. Seth is the kind of guy who could take off running two days early and still lose this race.

Seth Rollins sucks but I'm sure he cares about his wife and child despite being someone we don't like seeing on TV 

4 hours ago, FMKK said:

Seth Rollins sucks but I'm sure he cares about his wife and child despite being someone we don't like seeing on TV 

Agreed here. Yikes I get not liking Seth's character but don't get the stuff here questioning if he cares about Becky and stuff like that

5 hours ago, FMKK said:

55 minutes ago, Strummer said:

Agreed here. Yikes I get not liking Seth's character but don't get the stuff here questioning if he cares about Becky and stuff like that

26 minutes ago, El-P said:

Thirded. Seriously, people... We shit enough on fans and workers stuck in the bubble.

Fourthed. As I was reading those posts, I felt super embarrassed for the people who wrote them. 

Please spare me the righteous indignation.  I'm surprised you all aren't getting nosebleeds, way up there on your moral high ground.

I clearly said, I don't blame Seth Rollins for being angry about what Cornette said about Becky.  If I was Rollins, I would feel the same way. (Actually if I was Rollins, the first thing I'd do is shave that stupid looking beard...but whatever.)  I absolutely think what Cornette said about Becky Lynch's pregnancy (and about female wrestlers getting pregnant in general) was stupid, archaic and borderline misogynistic.  I say that as a Jim Cornette fan.

But my other point was, Seth Rollins is a notoriously thin-skinned whiner who frequently has tantrums when anybody dares say anything critical about him. So much so that they actually worked it into his gimmick, for gawd's sake. But for years, Jim Cornette has sung the praises of Seth Rollins to the high heavens.  I've always been of the opinion that Cornette based the majority of this praise on the fact that he liked Tyler Black in ROH.  I don't even think Jim Cornette has even seen much "Seth Rollins." Cornette avoids current WWE, as well he should.  Recently, Cornette reviewed some modern WWE and even his precious Seth Rollins was not spared the patented Cornette criticism.

After all the controversial and inappropriate shit Jim Cornette has said over the past couple of years, Seth Rollins has never made a peep.  He's kept his opinion to himself. You could make the argument that there was no need for Seth Rollins to comment on Jim Cornette because they don't work together anymore...but that didn't seem to stop pretty much everybody else in Pro Wrestling from throwing their two cents in on Social Media when it came to Jim Cornette. Then Cornette says something inappropriate about Becky Lynch, and Seth Rollins responds.  As I said, that is to be expected and not really all that newsworthy.

But I do find the timing coincidental, that at the exact same time Jim Cornette has soured on Seth Rollins and has been criticizing his work...all of the sudden Rollins has no problem publicly going after Cornette.  Maybe he would have done it anyhow, even if Cornette hadn't said anything about Rollins as well.  Rollins probably would have said something about Cornette based solely on what Cornette said about Becky Lynch being pregnant. But I was speculating that Rollins was probably just as upset that Cornette said things about him too. Now Rollins has all the excuse in the world to go after Cornette, and nobody is going to question it, that's for sure. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong.

But if my speculating about that hurt some people's feelings and they need to lie down for a little while in their safe space with a cold cloth on their forehead or something, it's okay. I understand.

20 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

Please spare me the righteous indignation.  I'm surprised you all aren't getting nosebleeds, way up there on your moral high ground.

Ok, the condescending tones really isn't needed.

20 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

But if my speculating about that hurt some people's feelings and they need to lie down for a little while in their safe space with a cold cloth on their forehead or something, it's okay. I understand

Really now ?

Sorry to say, but that post makes you look really bad... Get out of the Cornette bubble and spare us the "moral high grounds" and "lie down in your safe space" shit. What's next ? SJW ?

For fuck's sake. Corny said stupid shit about two people in love having a baby. Seth adresses the issue of Corny talking stupid shit about his pregnant wife. End of story. Well, he does burpees and flips, so he has to be some bad guy anyway...

5 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

You of all people at PWO accusing somebody of being "condescending" is pretty much the height of hilarity.

I'm not condescending. I'm just telling shit like it is. People speculating about the timing of whatever and saying "ohhh Seth sucks" in this context because they don't like flippity flips and kick outs out of finishers, I mean, really ? I'm just saying come one, don't go there, this place is better than this. 

Your post on the other hand, yeah, total condescending and using of a bullshit verbiage. You've been better than this too acknowledging Cornette's mistakes and bullshit, including just a few posts ago. Just telling like it is. Just being honest.

Oh, I get it.  My mistake, I didn't understand the difference.

If I post something snarky, sarcastic or something that evokes a heated response then I am being condescending.

When you do it, then you're just being honest and telling it like it is.

Gotcha.  Clearly, I was unable to discern the distinction between the two.  My sincere apologies.  From now on, I'll just be honest and tell it like it is, and then we shouldn't run into any further problems.

I get the point about Rollins being pissed about Corny's recent criticism about him, but I am not sure that it really applies. Cornette kept emphasising that he likes Rollins and doesn't blame him for the stuff he was criticising when he briefly watched main roster WWE. 

While we are on the topic of his Raw reviews, he hated Asuka cutting promos in Japanese and actually called it racist. More than anything, it shows how inflexible his idea of good wrestling can be. The appeal is in the delivery and Asuka's charisma, and Asuka and Kairi have been the highlight of whatever Raw I have watched this year. 

I sometimes (often ?) post snarky or sarcastic stuff. It's not the same as being condescending.

My response to the posts about Seth weren't snarky or sarcastic. My response to you last post wasn't snarky or sarcastic. Nor condescending.

But whatever. Like I said, I thought here at PWO we were above that kind of stuff...