Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 11/11 - 11/17 Dark days indeed

KawadaSmile

2 minutes ago, C.S. said:

You realize I didn't know you 20 years ago, right? :)

And that part of my post wasn't directed at you specifically (even if I was quoting you) - just more toward a trend I see sometimes on PWO.

Understood, but I think I've stated that fact on PWO an regular occasions in the 10 years + I've been here (damn, I STILL sound old). Basically, the more I have watched and re-watched stuff, the less I thought of JR. His peaks are all time great, no argument.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As far as Joey Styles goes, the first 3 or so years of ECW he was really good. Like next level above anyone else at the time good. I think by the end there was a definite "Tony at the end of WCW" vibe from him where he knew the end was near and was not putting forth the same level of effort. 

14 minutes ago, sek69 said:

In other news, Mike Johnson is reporting Oney Lorcan is the latest WWE guy to request a release. 

I have mixed feelings about that news. I love watching Lorcan on 205 Live and NXT and I love his team with Danny Burch (who is totally screwed if Lorcan gets his release) so I'd hate to not be able to see him anymore, but obviously I want the guy to be happy.  If he thinks he will be happy elsewhere and there is a job out there for him somewhere (hopefully in AEW or the NWA and not in Impact or MLW) then I hope he gets what he wants.  That guy is a hell of a talent and I think he has a ton of potential if he gets used properly.

3 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

I love watching Lorcan on 205 Live and NXT 

And therein lies the problem... He's been in developmental purgatory and 205 Live hell for four years. Yeah, yeah, NXT is "main roster" now, but has he even been on the show since it jumped to USA? Can't really blame the guy for wanting to cut bait and seek his fortunes elsewhere.

It's a shame there was such a huge disconnect between his awesome Twitter personality and his bland TV personality. Hopefully the two can merge if and when he goes elsewhere.

'93 Noo Yawk attitude heel Joey Styles is THE, hands down, worst play-by-play man in wrestling history. Ever. Even if you throw in color guys I actually enjoyed him far less than Rob Bartlett when I was watching the '93 Yearbook, and Bartlett SUUUUCKED.

More straight-ahead '94-'97 Joey is better, but still has flaws. I don't think he really "put himself over at the expense of the wrestlers" as Mauro quite rightfully has been accused of. My big issues with him are a.) being the announcer equivalent of a "spot monkey," who thinks that just reciting move names is play-by-play, particularly when he generally didn't have a color analyst with him, and b.) he telegraphed EVERYTHING, it seems like. If Joey declared that the Dudleyz were going to retain the tag titles or that Luna was going to tear apart Beulah or that Cactus Jack was coming in to help Tommy Dreamer, you could guarantee with your life that the exact opposite would happen. I can't tell you how many dramatic moments Joey killed for me (Masato Tanaka kicking out of the 3-D comes to mind immediately) because of that shit. Lots of announcers have done the "IT'S OVER! A NEW CHAMPION TO BE CROWNED!" act before a dramatic kickout, but Joey took it to a new level.

I honestly didn't notice any precipitous decline in Joey as ECW fell apart. The product got a lot worse, but for all of his faults Joey never struck me as someone who was ever phoning it in. But that's also without having gone into 2000-early 2001.

I'm guessing you never saw Hawaiian shirt-wearing Joey in MLW back in like 02-03. That was the definition of phoning it in.

I'm sad to see Oney go as he was the star of the Coconut loop shows and 205 live for the past couple months. But I get it. It will be interesting to see how many of these guys that are asking for releases end up in AEW. Because that has to be the ultimate goal right? Maybe not Sin Cara but guys like the Revival and Biff and Bennet for sure. AEW won't take them all so they will probably end up in Impact or god forbid ROH. If current WWE is WCW 2000, ROH is 1987 World Class.

13 hours ago, Stiva said:

I really want to see Biff Busick roll through Marko Stunt and Jungle Boy before eventually coming up against Luchasaurus. Book it, Cody

Biff would slap the shit out of everyone in AEW and really not get the receipts. Not many dudes there can have a match against him like Drew McIntyre did in NXT (gosh do I love that stuff)

Also, I guess the corniness of Corbin's feud against Roman, but it tries something. The worst part isn't the chihuahua barking or the big dog mascot, but doing a fucking Dog Collar Match in 2019/2020. That's wack, and they know it. Book those two to have some insane war like Sheamus/Roman at TLC 2015, it ain't that hard.

44 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

I honestly feel like Biff would be better suited sticking around the indies like CZW and Beyond and he'd be successful there. Hell, I bet he'd do fantastic on the Bloodsport cards.

There is such a gap in the indy scene for stars and he would get loads of bookings if he left today

Speaking of releases, I'm surprised no one is talking about this...

In-character post? I assume so, but who knows. Either way, he's the definition of underutilized.

No matter how much you personally enjoy 205 Live, being on that show is a death sentence and not something you should ever wish on your favorite wrestlers. 

5 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Biff would slap the shit out of everyone in AEW and really not get the receipts. Not many dudes there can have a match against him like Drew McIntyre did in NXT (gosh do I love that stuff)

Also, I guess the corniness of Corbin's feud against Roman, but it tries something. The worst part isn't the chihuahua barking or the big dog mascot, but doing a fucking Dog Collar Match in 2019/2020. That's wack, and they know it. Book those two to have some insane war like Sheamus/Roman at TLC 2015, it ain't that hard.

Mate...

Probably. That's the kind of stuff that only Vince can laugh hysterically at  from the gorilla position while everyone is looking for a hole to hide in. Fairly evident now that WWE creative is only looking to save their jobs by pleasing Vince rather than deliver a quality product.

16 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Rumor is that Aliyah's "injury" took place to cover up a surgery she's going to have soon. Fucking legend.

NXT is in full-on work mode currently. The NXT Injury Report is a pretty funny mix of real and kayfabe. Also, NXT is on a kick generally of announcing talent injuries or leaking them to the press to cover or conceal the real injury. Especially for concussions.

Elsewhere I'd be shocked if WWE released Oney as they aren't releasing anyone.

19 hours ago, SirEdger said:

Probably. That's the kind of stuff that only Vince can laugh hysterically at  from the gorilla position while everyone is looking for a hole to hide in. Fairly evident now that WWE creative is only looking to save their jobs by pleasing Vince rather than deliver a quality product.

It's been that way for a long time, the only difference now is there aren't people like Rock or Cena around who can spin the shit they're given to work with into gold.