Pro Wrestling Only

John Tenta-Koji Kitao infamous shoot

sek69

So this got posted on YouTube yesterday, and it's the first time I ever got to see it after decades of hearing about it.  

From what I can tell, Kitao seems mad at something (some old sumo beef? Tenta coming in as a bigger star in his home turf?) and just decides to stop cooperating. Tenta can be clearly heard yelling at him variations of "what the fuck", but the funny part is no one is going to take him down if he doesn't want to be taken down so he just stuffs him. Kitao throws what appears to be a shoot kick at the ref to get DQ'd, and the video (that appears to be from a commercial release) stops before the part that made this really well known: Kitao got on the house mic and said pro wrestling is fake and that's the only way Tenta could beat him. He ended up getting fired from SWS for that one. 

I always wondered if there was anything more to it other than Kitao just being the surly bastard he tended to always be. It was just such a random thing for him to just start no selling Tenta 

Anyway, if you've never seen it here you go:

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

From what I can tell, Kitao seems mad at something (some old sumo beef? Tenta coming in as a bigger star in his home turf?) 

I always wondered if there was anything more to it other than Kitao just being the surly bastard he tended to always be. It was just such a random thing for him to just start no selling Tenta 

It comes from their sumo days. Kitao had reached the rank of Yokozuna (despite winning 0 basho, but that's another issue), so he was at the very top of the hierarchy. During his days of sumo, I don't think Tenta reached much better than lowly Maegashira (which is still quite a feat especially for a foreigner at that time), so needless to say not in the same ballpark at all. Kitao saw Tenta as below him because of that, and wasn't gonna do the job nor sell for him. 

That and Kitao being a complete prick.

Bix and Kris Zellner went a bit into this in a recent episode of Between the Sheets. Tenta and Kitao had a match two days earlier (at the Tokyo Dome), and maybe there was something happening already then already. From what I got, (foreign talent?) booker (or co-booker? I would assume that Tenryu was the main guy) Great Kabuki told Tenta that he should try to provoke Kitao a bit (probably under the assumption that a mad Kitao would lead to some stiffer work or similar).

4 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

I love how Tenta won't back down and he's willing to get nuts and Kitao is kind of a pussy that won't commit because he isn't sure if he can take Tenta. 

Yes, seeing Tenta go from "wtf is wrong with you" to "are we really going to do this" to finally "alright motherfucker, it's on" was great, especially when Kitao seems to realize perhaps he made a mistake 

16 hours ago, flyonthewall2983 said:

Bret talked about it in his book and said him and Hogan were prepared to come down and back Tenta up

“Yeah, brother! Let’s get down there and help Quake!  You go first, Hitman.  I’ll...uh...be right behind you.” - Hogan probably. 

8 hours ago, El-P said:

Hogan, that shooter... In Japan, no less.

He front facelocked Verne Gagne brother

Seriously though in Bret's book he gives a first hand account of Hogan and Dr D. getting into an inpromptu shoot wrestling match in a hotel and Hogan managed to hook Dr D and make him give up which sounds like BS but when you take into account how much Bret praises Dr D in his book and buries Hogan, I don;t know why he'd add it if it were untrue.

The argument in Hogan's favor is that he was trained by Hiro Matsuda who was notorious shooter so he might have picked up a thing or two and also he is a Legitimately huge guy so he can rely on his size to a point.  Would I prefer to have Haku or Brock in a fight sure but you could do far worse than Hogan.