Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - December 9, 2020

MoS

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Sweet Brown Koko said:

I don’t see the issue with what Ross said or him saying it on the podcast. On the TV broadcast...maybe....depending on how it’s said.

He literally shits all over matches/spots/angles/characters/storylines. That is, when he is not busy botching the names of wrestlers. Or their moves. Or even which title is on the line. Literally has more botches per show than Sabu at his peak, and that's saying something

7 hours ago, Coffey said:

Less is more, we know that. Moves should have a point, we know that. Psychology is important, we know that. The shit you do shouldn't look so choreographed & business-exposing, we know that. We know all this shit. But they still do it anyway.

100% this 

7 hours ago, El-P said:

And yes, the problem here is that Ross is PAID to get the product over. Not publicly shit on it. If he can't do his job, bye bye.

And this 

18 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

He subtly buried matches and segments he thought sucked all the time. He even had phrases like "bowling shoe" to signify that things were especially bad. It was that willingness to respect the intelligence of the viewer that gave him the credibility to put over the stuff that really mattered.

He certainly did his best to put over shit like Taker crucifying Austin and all the dumb shit Russo came up with. Plus, "subtly buried" is the operative term here. There is nothing subtle about his burying on AEW, and it's annoying. 

7 hours ago, Blehschmidt said:

As for the announce team, Excalibur and Schiavone are fine. If they must have 3 people, Taz is right there.

They don't need screaming Mauro for fucks sake.

Exactly. Not to mention, Mauro is yet another WWE guy in the mind of the audience. They absolutely don't need another "star" announcer coming from the opposition.

And Mauro sucks and would ruin my fun, but that's beside the point.

5 hours ago, El-P said:

Exactly. Not to mention, Mauro is yet another WWE guy in the mind of the audience. They absolutely don't need another "star" announcer coming from the opposition.

And Mauro sucks and would ruin my fun, but that's beside the point.

Here’s a terrifying thought...

The Mauro Ranallo that you heard in WWE was how he sounded when he was being heavily produced and told in his headset what he could and couldn’t say, or do.

Now imagine for a moment what Mauro Ranallo would sound like in AEW if he was given free reign and could act however he wanted and work to his own natural instincts without anybody keeping him in check or holding him back.

I can only imagine that he’d be standing on top of the announcer’s desk, frantically jumping up and down, red faced, bellowing rhyming nonsensical pop culture references at the top of his lungs...and every time anybody else tried to speak, or even get a word in edgewise he would physically assault them.

I have no desire to see Mauro in AEW, but how many of you have seen enough of his non-WWE work to have an opinion on it? I remember him being fine doing New Japan on AXS. His boxing and MMA commentary also seems to be well-regarded. Given everything we know about WWE, I don't think there's any reason to think he would be more insufferable without their direction.

17 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

The Mauro Ranallo that you heard in WWE was how he sounded when he was being heavily produced and told in his headset what he could and couldn’t say, or do.

It didn't seem like he was ! Because that's a scary thought !

8 minutes ago, kas said:

I really enjoy Mauro's commentary for Pride, NJPW on AXS, and the early days of SDLive. His NxT work suffers mainly from him leaning into his overactive tendencies.

Maybe that's the thing, the NXT environment really catered to his worst instinct and he would be better somewhere else. Well, he couldn't be much worse anyway, so...

One thing missing in this "how many men in the booth" discussion is that AEW frequently has a guest sit in on commentary, making it a 4 man booth! They do this multiple times per episode! They can use Excalibur and Tony as the base and make it a 3 man booth with the guests (including Ross for the right matches).

It's been a long time since I watched any PRIDE, but recently Mauro was kind of annoying during the Tyson/Jones fight. Admittedly, it could have been that I'm not looking for him to be bad, because it's one of those things you can't "unsee". It wasn't as bad as his NXT stuff though. I don't watch much AEW, but I have no desire to see him added to the company. I'd rather him stick with boxing, so I will only hear him a couple times a year, if that. 

I would disagree that  the Mauro we saw in WWE was heavily produced though. I'm sure he was initially because that's what WWE does, but they treated him with such a hands off approach once his mental issues started cropping up. I'd wager what we saw in NXT especially was 100% pure uncut Mauro. I doubt he was being produced to take over the show to the point anyone else announcing with him would have to fight each other just to get a word in. Beth Phoenix is seemingly stuck in "I LOVE LAMP" mode permanently now from having to yell over Mauro to be heard on commentary. 

22 hours ago, Ricky Jackson said:

Was trashing the board out of the blue really necessary? Stick to JR and any of your other pet hates 

I love it when someone acts overly familiar with me. Would be very curious to know what you think my other "pet hates" are, especially since I've actually defended J.R. on this board more than most. I've even gotten blocked by Haku's greatest shame, Tama Tonga, for defending J.R. on Twitter. But I can't defend J.R.'s behavior here.

23 hours ago, SirEdger said:

Oh, that's genuine, buddy. I love Mauro and what he brings to the table. I just want someone that doesn't phone it in on commentary.

I'm glad I finally found someone else who appreciates the passion, creativity, and dedication Mauro Ranallo brings to the table each and every week. If I'm Tony Khan, I'd be rolling out the red carpet.

Actually, if I'm whoever runs Impact these days, I'd do everything in my power to get Mauro. It's a Canadian company now, Mauro is the greatest Canadian hero since Bret Hart himself, and Impact could use a fresh voice. It would be a perfect match!

Absolutely the right call. I like Fred Rosser/Darren Young, but what has he done since leaving WWE? More importantly, what buzz has he created for himself? None. Maybe if he goes to NJPW and reinvents himself like NXT jobber CJ Parker did when he transformed himself into Juice Robinson, AEW might have a reason to be interested. Until then, a big fat "NOPE" from AEW is 100% the right response.

10 minutes ago, rovert said:

I would have said the exact same thing until his recent match will Tom Lawlor on NJPW Strong. He really looked great in that. 

I haven't seen the match, but this is exactly what Rosser needs to be doing to get AEW interested: a good run in NJPW - or anywhere, really - with good matches that get people talking. 

Then again, whining on the internet and saying he wanted to be in NJPW all along probably isn't going to endear him to anyone in AEW.

Wild conspiracy theory: What if AEW and NJPW are working on something, as AEW and Impact are currently doing, and Fred Rosser - of all people - is planting some seeds in that direction. 

Naaaah!

But it's fun to dream. 

On a different note, anyone who cares about ratings, drawing power, and business decisions should check out the interview Brandon Thurston did with Chris Harrington aka our own @mookeighana. One of the absolute best, most educating interviews you could hope for if you want to learn about the business/drawing part of pro wrestling

Edited by MoS
Added the link to the interview