Pro Wrestling Only

AWA Major League Wrestling

spaldoni

Larry Z throws out a huge challenge. Title vs Title at Champagne Slam. Idol doesn't hesitate to accept.

Oliver is back and ready to show everyone who the REAL Crippler is.

Austin's crew have some top contenders gunning for them but he's not sweating it.

I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that I chuckled at Billy Jack Ass Strong. George does get the win but with Gagne's help.

Morrow is putting together quite the card for Champagne Slam. Plus he announces the Toast to our Tag Teams Tournament, winners get a two week vacation and the second spot in the Crockett Cup!

Kokina was bad enough under Ash but with Abbuda? He may be unstoppable.

Nikita is healed up and ready to take Adam's head off.

Vin Man has the tag champs on the same page.... for now.

Johnny Rich decides Dream Machine is no friend of his.

The Gagne Gang jump Los Guerreros before the match begins but they get some serious backup in Canek, Strong and Rich leading to a massive 10 man tag in Rochester.

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Champagne Slam looks big. Lots of good match ups. Looking forward to it.

Here's hoping Larry Z takes Austin Idol's stupid looking hat, twists it up and puts it where the sun don't shine. To make it just a little bit better, he walks out as a double champion.

Peterson and Kelly are on the same page for now but how long will that last before their past rears it's ugly head again and they are at each other's throats. Is Vinny Valentino strong enough to keep it all together. Question? Does Valentino manage barefoot just like he wrestled?

The real Crippler is back in town which does not bode well for Stevens. I can see Oliver sending Ray Stevens off into retirement.

AWA @ The Mayo Civic Center, Rochester MN 3-18-88

awa2.jpg.f9782ae0c524d7a10c4fdd27cab51447.jpg

Nick Busick defeats Gene Ligon with the Spinebuster Slam! The returning Busick got a huge reaction from the crowd. 

Crusher Blackwell w/Greg Gagne defeated Salvatore Bellomo with a big splash! A lot of heat for Gagne. 

United Kingdom defeated Synergy- Synergy fought hard and gave the fans plenty of exciting moments but in the end, Taylor nailed Rice with a forearm blast from the apron, Rice then stumbled into a big belly to belly suplex by Haystacks and that was it. 

'Gentleman' Chris Adams w/Baby Doll defeated Scott 'Powerhouse' Putski- Baby Doll distracted Putski, when Putski turned back around, Adams put him down with the Superkick! Adams grabbed the mic and said "You're next Nikita!"

The Glamour Boys defeated Mean Streak by DQ- Frustration got the best of Mean Streak as Miller nailed Simpson with a chair for the DQ. Doll dropkicked the chair out of Miller's hands but Brian Adams picked it up and hit Doll from behind with it. 

Boot Camp Match! 

Corporal Kirchner vs. 'Quebecer' Richard Charland w/Frenchy Martin 

The opening minutes was a straight up fight as these two just tore into each other. Kirchner gets the upper hand and pummels Charland all over the ring and makes him bleed, then hurls him outside. As Kirchner goes after Charland, Frenchy hits Kirchner from behind. Kirchner grabs Frenchy, slams his head on the apron and follows with a back suplex on the concrete. As Kirchner gets up, Charland clotheslines him with the Quebec Flag. 

Charland works over Kirchner and busts him open. Charland slams Kirchner's head on the ringside table, then chokes him with a cable cord. Charland hurls Kirchner back in the ring. Charland swings Kirchner to the corner and charges in but Kirchner raises his boot and nails Charland. 

The fans fire Kirchner up as he takes off his boot. Charland staggers up as Kirchner blasts him with his boot. Kirchner drops down and just pounds away on Charland with his boot. Kirchner picks up Charland and executes his fireman's carry slam. Kirchner signals "one more" to the cheering fans. Kirchner hoists Charland up, but Frenchy runs in and clips Kirchner's legs. Both men crumble down. It's No DQ, so the Ref can't do anything. 

Frenchy puts a pair of brass knuckles on Charland's hand. Charland and Kirchner slowly stagger up. Charland takes a wild swing but Kirchner ducks and hoists Charland up but Charland swings down and nails the top of Kirchner's head with the brass knuckles. Kirchner goes down with Charland on top. Charland slowly rises, picks up Kirchner and hits the inverted piledriver 1..2..3!! BOOOOOOO! 

More heat as Frenchy comes back in the ring and waves the Quebec Flag while Charland puts his boot on Kirchner's chest and raises his arms in victory. 

The Bruise Brothers defeated The Technicians- The former world tag champs were in a bad mood tonight and the Technicians felt the wrath. The Technicians got some shine but the Bruise Brothers were just too much and got the win after putting Fleming down with stereo double axehandles to the head. 

'The Latin Heartthrob' Al Perez vs. Chicky Starr w/DDP 

DDP once again put his mic skills to work with an introduction of Chicky along with insults to the fans. The boos turned to cheers when Perez came out. 

These guys had their working boots on and gave the fans an edge of the seat thrill ride. At the 30 minute mark, Starr's in control. He hits a delayed vertical suplex, swings off the ropes and goes for the corkscrew elbow drop but Perez moves. Perez goes on a terror and gets several near falls, until a trip from DDP turns the tide. Starr swings Perez to the ropes and puts him down with a double thrust shot. Starr swings Perez into the corner and charges in but Perez moves, Chicky hits hard as Perez rolls him up 1..2..3! Huge POP! DDP runs in the ring as Perez slides out. The fans laugh as DDP and Starr throw a fit. 

Busick brings the pop while Blackwell & Gagne bring the heat.

Feeling sorry for Rice taking the belly to belly from Haystacks.

Adams and Baby Doll build momentum ahead of the rematch with Nikita.

Mean Streak lose the match but leave the Glamour Boys laying.

Frenchy proves the deciding factor in the boot camp match.

The Bruise Brothers vent on The Technicians.

Chicky makes one mistake but that's all Perez needed for the win.

Champagne Slam has an awesome lineup.  The three matches that are of most interest to me are Idol vs Larry Z.  I have no idea what your plans are here and no matter which way got go, it makes perfect sence!

Next, Nikita vs Adams... I always had a felling that Adams would come out on the short end of this feud but he has held his own in the feud.

Last, Colon vs Bad News.... to me, these are the two best men in the AWA right now and again, this will be a war where we can expect the unexpected.

Also, while it is not a match yet, Johnny Rich vs Dream is a real Southern feud and would hope we get some version of this battle at the big card.

Champagne Slam has an awesome lineup.  The three matches that are of most interest to me are Idol vs Larry Z.  I have no idea what your plans are here and no matter which way got go, it makes perfect sence!

Next, Nikita vs Adams... I always had a felling that Adams would come out on the short end of this feud but he has held his own in the feud.

Last, Colon vs Bad News.... to me, these are the two best men in the AWA right now and again, this will be a war where we can expect the unexpected.

Also, while it is not a match yet, Johnny Rich vs Dream is a real Southern feud and would hope we get some version of this battle at the big card.

Nikia and Adams is something that just feels like a fun 1988 situation. Both men have maybe passed their apex but here they are still at the top of the mountain. Chris Adams continues to be the underdog in our world but always bites off more than the opponent can handle. Also - Bad News - a very proper AWA leader here... very underrated for his ability to be an Ace and you're showing why he's a good fit here.

AWA TV @ The Hammond Center 3-24-88

ring.jpg.6685bd9c84c982000a5099741f977605.jpg

Footage from the Mayo Civic Center is shown as Richard Charland defeats Corporal Kirchner is the Boot Camp Match. 

Nelson: Hello fans and welcome to AWA Major League Wrestling. Tonight's main event is a big one as Johnny Rich clashes with the Dream Machine. You'll also see Al Perez tag with Synergy to take on Chicky Starr and Badd Co. AWA C.O.O. Gerry Morrow will have announcements regarding both Champagne Slam and The Toast to our Tag Teams Tournament. As you all know, Champagne Slam takes place on April 15th at the Market Square Arena. Bad News Brown will defend the AWA world title against Carlos Colon. Please welcome out Carlos Colon. 

The fans cheer as Colon walks out wearing a nice three piece suit. He smiles and pumps his fists to the cheering crowd. 

Nelson: At Title Night in your homeland of Puerto Rico, you and Bad News Brown had one heck of a fight. Brown's plan of hitting you with the ringside bell backfired when the bell ended up in your hands and you really clocked him with it. Well, the rematch is set for Champagne Slam. 

Colon: I was good on my word when I told Brown I was coming to fight. That was just a taste because at Champagne Slam....

There's a commotion as Bad News Brown walks out in his suit (buttons down, gold chains showing) and the title on his shoulder. 

Brown: Colon! You come out here talking about what a fighter you are. It took a ringside bell to put me down, but here I am. It's going to take a lot more than that to take me out and take this here title. I'm looking you right in the eye and I'm calling you soft! You're nothing but a cockroach and I'm going wipe the mat with you at Champagne Slam! 

Brown puts his fist in Colon's face and pushes his head back. Colon's pissed and pushes Brown hard and the title falls on the ground. Brown hits Colon. Colon fires back. Both men start brawling in their suits. They have a wild exchange! They rip each other's jackets and shirts off and continue to fight. A swarm of security run out as they continue to go after each other. 

Commercial Break 

Jumbo Tsuruta and Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Wade Jenkins and James Beck 

jumbo.jpg.e38382b7b41404e93f709d4286cb5935.jpgtatsumi.jpg.1e1834386b7e892b94d52b8d478288cd.jpg

After trading wins in 2 classic match ups, the Former AWA world tag champs are back together and gearing up for this year's NWA Crockett Cup Tournament. 

Tatsumi hits a belly to back suplex backbreaker and Jumbo finishes things off with a knee drop from the top rope!

No doubt about it, last year's Crockett Cup winners, Tatsumi and Jumbo are ready to do it again. 

Commercial Break 

'Gentleman' Chris Adams w/Baby Doll vs. Todd Rooney 

adams.jpg.177b4c962e2bd0b235f2955f6c59b51c.jpg

Adams puts down Rooney with the Superkick! 

Nelson: Chris Adams, you saw Nikita Koloff last week and I must say, I wouldn't want to be you at Champagne Slam. 

Baby Doll: Of course you wouldn't Nelson, because your gutless, unlike the Gentleman here.

Adams: You know, everybody in wrestling has told me that Nikita Koloff is a monster that destroys everything in his path. That he's a freak force. Well, I certainly took him down and it didn't take much. I caved his face in and at Champagne Slam I'm going to put an end to the so called Russian Nightmare. 

Commercial Break 

Scott 'Powerhouse' Putski vs. Tommy Hill 

putski.jpg.67044e38c0e3ca3225c6eefa28899ee0.jpg

Putski swings Hill to the ropes and puts him down with the Polish Hammer for the win! 

WHAM! Norvell Austin and Cannonball Griz jump Putski and put the boots to him! Griz hoists Putski up and powerslams him over. Norvell tells Griz to do it again. Griz smiles, hoists Putski up and powerslams him over. Boos as Norvell raises Griz's arm in victory. 

cannonball.jpg.2c6757c6944d38cd954a77f000697124.jpg

Commercial Break 

Brenda Britton is standing in her Beauty Shop stage. Instead of the Beauty Shop sign, there's a sign with a sparkling champagne bottle. 

britton.jpg.5aec91034fa6881ddb8f0e304ad2e2e2.jpg

Britton: Hi everybody and welcome to the Champagne Slam segment. Joining me now is my best friend and AWA C.O.O. Gerry Morrow. 

Morrow walks out in his white suit, fedora hat and sunglasses. He smiles and kisses Brenda's hand. 

Britton: Oh Gerry, so classy. Per your request, I would like to invite out Richard Charland and Frenchy Martin. 

Booooos as Frenchy comes out waving the Quebec Flag. Charland's wearing a glitter blue robe with the Quebec flag on the back. They both shake Morrow's hand. 

Britton: Floor's yours Gerry. 

Morrow: Thank you Brenda. (Looks at Frenchy) Frenchy, you and I go way back and I know you're going to love dis. (Looks at Charland) Mr. Charland, I can't tell you how impressed I was when you beat Corporal Kirchner in de boot camp match. It was then when it came to me. At Champagne Slam, I would like you to face de Ultimate Warrior. I want to find out if de Warrior has what it takes to compete in de AWA. What do you guys say? 

Frenchy: Without hesitation we accept! Dis Warrior is nothing but hype. Richard Charland is de pride of Quebec and a wrecking machine! Dis Warrior will be a one and done in de AWA. That's a promise! 

Charland makes a break him in half gesture. 

They shake hands with Morrow and exit. 

Morrow: There you go Brenda. At Champagne Slam it will be de Ultimate Warrior vs. Richard Charland. 

Britton: Wow! I think Charland is going to tear that cartoon character up. 

Morrow: We will most certainly find out. I have also signed Chicky Starr vs. Al Perez. Chicky asked for it and Perez accepted. Simple as dat. Now, last week I announced de 10 man tag match with a special stipulation. I've decided to make it an elimination match. Let's see who survives. 

Britton: Dang Gerry, Champagne Slam has quite the line up. As if that wasn't enough, I understand you have news on the tag team tournament. 

Morrow: Oh yes I do. On April 1st, right here at de Hammond Center, de toast to our tag teams tournament will take place. De winners will get a spot in de Crockett Cup tournament as well as a two week vacation to anywhere in de world. There are a lot of teams with issues and I've matched them up in de first round. You'll see the pairings at de end of dis program. On a sad note, de National tag champs Venomous will not be able to participate after suffering injuries at our last title night. 

Brenda: Gerry, so much going on in the AWA and it's all thanks to you! Until next time, tooooodles. 

Commercial Break 

AWA TV Champ Larry Zbyszko vs. Rudy Allen 

1484051026_larryz.jpg.191b83bb9ed53893bacae554b010d3fc.jpg

Zbyszko wins the match with a swinging neckbreaker. 

Nelson: Well Larry, you got your wish, at Champagne Slam, it's you and Mid-America champ Austin Idol, title versus title. 

Zbyszko: Hey spudhead, you know what's better than holding a title? Holding two. And that's exactly what's going to happen after Idol goes down in Larry Land. 

Commercial Break 

Nick Busick vs. Ray Glader 

busick.jpg.de786178dd6ea45803150bf04ad2153c.jpg

Busick's back on TV and the fans are loving it. Busick hits the Spinebuster Slam and it's all over! 

Nelson: Nick Busick, great to have you back. It's obvious your shoulder is 100% and I know you're ready for Kokina at Champagne Slam. Does the Abbuda Iaukea equation change anything? 

Busick: It's great to be back and to answer your question, I don't care who else is around, doesn't matter because I'm after Kokina...

Boos as Abbuda Iaukea comes out. 

Abbuda: You better care! Kokina is the most violent savage in the AWA and with me, he'll be unstoppable! 

Kokina comes rushing out and charges Busick from behind, but Busick's Instincts are on and he moves as Kokina slams into Abbuda! Busick's all over Kokina with punches. Abbuda staggers up as Busick swings Kokina into him. 

Commercial Break 

'The Latin Heartthrob' Al Perez and Synergy vs. Chicky Starr and Badd Co. w/DDP 

alp.jpg.385babc5f99261bd7642a5fc6931960f.jpgrice.jpg.9ffa0a9b152fa14b7ba09c7979d5ce96.jpgadias.jpg.5de878275a49dc9249146a1165731d4e.jpgchicky.jpg.74e153cb48047617158ccfe29fe9f15d.jpg88844609_badcom.jpg.54e483f09822cb2650a83caf2d8ac5ba.jpg

Fun fast paced seesaw match where everybody shines. We see a lot of great teamwork, high octane offense and interference from DDP. After a few minutes there's a pier six brawl. Synergy hit stereo flying presses on Badd Co. which sends all of them over the top rope. DDP tosses Chicky a pair of brass knuckles. Chicky takes a wild swing at Perez but Perez ducks and executes a bridging back suplex 1..2..3! The fans pop while DDP throws a tantrum. 

Commercial Break 

The Bruise Brothers vs. Vic Dutro and Willie Lopez 

atlas.jpg.aeceb2b810ca79d7f91aa2a5858eded3.jpgcameron.jpg.9a3062af92b41b9e4224044b78503c0e.jpg

Bruise Brothers destroy their opponents and win the match with stereo double axehandles to Dutro's head. 

Nelson: In perhaps the biggest upset in AWA history, DJ Peterson and Kevin Kelly ended your long reign at Title Night. The rematch is set for Champagne Slam. 

Cameron: What happened at Title Night was nothing but a fluke! 

Atlas: That's right! At Champagne Slam we're going to whip those fools and take back what's rightfully ours! That's a fact! 

Commercial Break 

'The Wild One' Johnny Rich vs. The Dream Machine

1100330928_johnnyrich.jpg.23d5654bd7a4fcb9cb884c13deed1099.jpgmachine.png.e180c5330c37db45d22411e07c479f58.png

Before the bell rings, these guys are fighting on the outside. They finally get in the ring and the Ref signals for the bell. Rich swings Dream to the ropes and back drops him. Dream staggers up and Rich dropkicks him down. Dream staggers up and Rich scoop slams him down. Rich hops on the middle ropes and comes down with a forearm drop 1..2..Kick Out. Rich swings Dream to the ropes and goes for a back drop but Dream kicks him and regroups. 

Dream picks up Rich and puts him down with a short arm clothesline. Dream stomps down on Rich and rakes his boot across his face. Dream follows with a standing leg drop 1..2..Kick Out. Dream picks up Rich and rakes his face across the top rope. Dream chokes Rich on the top rope and flings him back. Dream goes to the middle ropes and comes down with an elbow drop but Rich moves. 

Both men start to rise, Dream takes a swing but Rich ducks and atomic drops Dream into the turnbuckles. Dream hits hard and staggers back as Rich grabs him and hits an overhead German suplex. Rich picks up Dream and slams him down. Rich goes to the top rope. 

WHAM! The Fortunate Ones come out and push Rich off the ropes. The Ref signals for the DQ. A smiling Greg Gagne leads Crusher Blackwell and Mike George to the ring. 

Wait a minute! El Canek, the Guererros and Billy Jack Strong run out! Gagne gets steamrolled as all hell breaks loose. 

Canek and Blackwell exchange clubbing blows. Billy Jack and Mike George are in a brawl. The Guerreros and Fortunate Ones are in the ring going at it. Dream and Rich stagger up and pick up where they left off. It's chaos as the screen fades. 

We see the Ultimate Warrior standing on top of a building, looking out at the city lights. He starts shaking his head and arms, then turns around. 

" Hear me Warriors! You will give me the intensity to deliver the power! At Champagne Slam the Ultimate Warrior arrives and the Ultimate Warrior will prevaaaaaaaaaaaail! 

warrior.jpg.1e373112b00c3bcae0ece5a09901b829.jpg

The AWA Presents

A Toast to the Tag Teams Tournament

From the Hammond Center 4-1-88

Winner receives a spot in the NWA Crockett Cup Tournament and a two week vacation to anywhere in the world. 

1st Round Match ups 

The Original Midnight Express w/Norvell Austin vs. The Technicians

The Glamour Boys vs. Mean Streak

Synergy vs. Badd Co. w/DDP

The Gunslingers vs. United Kingdom 

Colon & Brown start the show with a pull-apart brawl.

Jumbo & Fujinami are tuned up and ready for another run at the Crockett Cup.

Adams is so confident, I'm starting to think he actually can beat Nikita this time.

Griz puts a mauling on Putski.

Charland looks to spoil the Ultimate debut while Chicky & Perez go head to head.

I don't think we can handle Zbyszko as a double champion.

Busick shows he can handle the numbers game.

Perez & Synergy get a leg up on DDP's crew.

The Bruise Brothers are looking to get their belts back!

The show closes with a taste of the 10 man elimination tag coming at Champagne Slam.

AWA Champagne Slam

From Market Square Arena

Saturday April 15th on pay per view 

AWA World Title Bout

Bad News Brown (C) vs. Carlos Colon

AWA World Tag Team Title Bout

'Dynamite' DJ Peterson and 'Mr. Magnificent' Kevin Kelly (C) w/The Vin Man vs. The Bruise Brothers

Title versus Title

Mid-American Champ Austin Idol vs. TV Champ Larry Zbyszko 

'The Russian Nightmare' Nikita Koloff vs. 'Gentleman' Chris Adams w/Baby Doll

10-Man Elimination Tag Team Match

El Canek/Billy Jack Strong/Hector and Chavo Guerrero and 'The Wild One' Johnny Rich w/Mando Guerrero

vs.

Crusher Blackwell/'Marvelous' Mike George/The Fortunate Ones and Dream Machine w/Greg Gagne

'The Latin Heartthrob' Al Perez vs. Chicky Starr w/DDP

Nick Busick vs. Kokina w/Abbuda Iaukea

The Battle of the Cripplers

'Crippler' Rip Oliver vs. Ray 'The Crippler' Stevens

Scott 'Powerhouse' Putski vs. Cannonball Griz w/Norvell Austin 

The Ultimate Warrior makes his AWA in ring debut and will face 'Quebecer' Richard Charland w/Frenchy Martin 

Champagne Slam has shaped up nicely to be a HUGE card that should have something for everyone. Titles on the line, hot feuds, new debuts, literally something for everyone. The big one has to be Brown vs. Colon though I am looking forward to the Battle of the Cripplers. That should be a fun one.

I am thinking Richard Charland is being served up on a plate to the Warrior.

On 2/20/2022 at 7:38 AM, spaldoni said:

AWA 

167313698_tvlogo.jpg.3be55aedf01806447af1bd24ca0a963d.jpg

From the Mecca in Milwaukee 

mecca.jpg.fa9d318205b94a52a330341ef378bf89.jpg

Presents 

brawl.jpg.567079f9a429f422de3d51ba744cee7a.jpg

Dark Match- Soldat Ustinov defeated Gene Ligon with a clothesline 

The closed circuit event officially begins with the camera zooming across the capacity crowd, then pans down on Lance Russell. 

Lance: Hello everyone and welcome to the AWA's Big Brawl, right here from the Mecca in Milwaukee. What a tremendous event we have lined up. Title's on the line, grudges to be settled and a 10 man elimination tag match that will determine the future of the AWA. All right here! I'm not going to waste any more time, so let's get to the ring for our first contest.

The Top Dollar Phils w/"Champagne" Gerry Morrow vs. The Glamour Boys

Gerry Morrow (wearing a white tuxedo and sunglasses) enters the ring and takes the mic from the ring announcer. 

"If you don't mind, my team deserves a proper introduction for their much anticipated in ring debut."

Morrow introduces his team as Phil Lafon and Phil Apollo strut down the aisle wearing fur coats, top hats, gold chains and sunglasses. They enter and hug Morrow as the fans boo. 

The fans cheer as 'Metal Health' blasts over the speakers. Steve Doll and Steve Simpson (wearing matching singlets and tassels on their arms) run down the aisle, slapping hands with the fans. 

After the introduction of the Top Dollar Phils and the Glamour Boys, the first official match of the AWA's Big Brawl began. However, before the match began, there was a dark match that took place earlier in the night.

Soldat Ustinov and Gene Ligon faced off in a match that was not televised. Soldat Ustinov emerged victorious after he delivered a powerful clothesline to Gene Ligon, knocking him to the mat and securing the pinfall.

As the crowd settled in for the first televised match of the night, Lance Russell hyped up the upcoming 10-man elimination tag match, which would determine the future of the AWA. The crowd erupted in cheers and anticipation, eager to see who would come out on top.

The Top Dollar Phils and the Glamour Boys exchanged words and taunts in the ring, preparing for what was sure to be a heated match. The referee signaled for the bell to start the match, and the two teams charged at each other, ready for battle. Were they actually wearing matching singlets.

Champagne Slam is shaping up to be a really interesting night.  For me, this is the first time I feel that Bad News really has an opponent who could take his belt.  I can't wait to see which way you go.  Also Zbyszko vs Idol is also interesting for the same reason.  In this title vs title match, I have no inclination as to which way you are leaning.  This makes it very interesting.

Enjoying your work with Cannonball Grizzly.  It is awesome how you find things for wrestlers I have no idea what to do with.

Awesome brawl at the end.  These used to keep me tuned in till the very last second as a kid.  I couldn't wait for the chaos!  I think this is why I grew up a Georgia Championship Wrestling fan (Any Southern Promotion) instead of the WWF even though I live in NY.  Georgia just had many more of these wild brawls.  

You are playing very nice with the other promotions-hyping us the Crockett Cup in such a big way. I wonder if that had happened in the mid 80's, would we be left with only Vince for the next 3 decades.  

Awesome week!

11 hours ago, kevinmcfl said:

Awesome brawl at the end.  These used to keep me tuned in till the very last second as a kid.  I couldn't wait for the chaos!  I think this is why I grew up a Georgia Championship Wrestling fan (Any Southern Promotion) instead of the WWF even though I live in NY.  Georgia just had many more of these wild brawls.

I am with you there. I couldn't stomach WWF when I lived up north. Wasn't until a move to Texas and Southwest Championship Wrestling that hooked me in.

AWA TV @ The Hammond Center 3-31-88

ring.jpg.6685bd9c84c982000a5099741f977605.jpg

Larry Nelson: Hello fans and welcome to another edition of AWA Major League Wrestling. Tonight's main event will be Billy Jack Strong teaming with Hector and Chavo Guerrero to take on Mike George and The Fortunate Ones. As you all know, Champagne Slam is only 2 weeks away and the main event will be Bad News Brown defending the AWA world title against my guest at this time, Carlos Colon. 

The fans cheer as Colon comes out and pumps his fists to them. 

WHAM! Bad News Brown sprints out and puts Colon down with a forearm blast from behind! Brown picks up Colon but Colon starts swinging away on Brown. Both men brawl around the ring until security runs out and breaks them apart. Colon breaks free and dives at Brown. Both men are rolling around on the ground, punching each other as Security tries to break them up. 

1523393988_badnews.jpg.f11c2fc3ef6a3d2afbd8ef4b160b3e85.jpgcolon2.jpg.0b1809729f06a5a88182ec6ebdf57b33.jpg

Commercial Break 

AWA Mid-American Champ Austin Idol vs. Sean Sully 

idol.jpg.29a92f1f4ea889626b09a958d8d997fd.jpg

Idol gives the fans a show before finishing off his opponent with the Las Vegas Leglock. 

Nelson: Austin Idol, at Champagne Slam it's you and Zbyszko, title versus title. Last week Zbyszko sounded very confident that he's walking out with two titles. 

Idol: Oh darling, the Universal Heartthrob was born with confidence and at Champagne Slam, I'm shutting down Larry Land for good. 

Commercial Break 

'Crippler' Rip Oliver vs. Carl Kellerman 

oliver.jpg.d2e9250547ed055503dda41da84cb1e2.jpg

Oliver is aggressive tonight and wins the match with a piledriver. 

Oliver cuts a promo and says he's going to cripple Ray Stevens at Champagne Slam! 

Commercial Break 

'The Russian Nightmare' Nikita Koloff vs. William Hillman 

nikita.jpg.55941a8912bb6329a5654e2ff9df290f.jpg

Nikita dominates and hits the Russian Sickle for the win. 

Boos as Chris Adams and Baby Doll come out. Adams slides into the ring just as Nikita turns around. Nikita pounds away on Adams, swings him to the ropes and is ready to hit the Russian Sickle, but Baby Doll trips Adams and slides him out of the ring. Baby Doll helps Adams up. Adams has a panicked look but smiles and shakes his head basically saying "You didn't get me" Nikita gives Adams a trap pose and sticks his tongue out. That rattles Adams a bit but Baby Doll helps him shake it off. 

Commercial Break 

Nelson: Fans, tomorrow night, The Toast to our Tag Teams Tournament will take place here at the Hammond Center. Eight teams will compete for a spot in the NWA's Crockett Cup Tournament as well as a paid vacation anywhere in the world. Let's hear from the competing teams. 

Gunslingers, Technicians, Mean Streak, Midnight Express w/Norvell Austin, United Kingdom, Synergy, Badd Co. and The Glamour Boys all cut quick pre recorded promos. 

Commercial Break 

The Dream Machine vs. Neil Jordan 

machine.png.e180c5330c37db45d22411e07c479f58.png

Dream slams Jordan, swings off the ropes and hits a jumping elbow drop for the win. 

Nelson: Ok Dream Machine, at Champagne Slam, you will be involved in the big 10-Man tag team elimination match. I have to ask, what is your relationship with Greg Gagne and his team. 

Dream: Listen up, I'll tell you what I told that dope Johnny...I'm not even going to say his last name because he's disgracing it. You need friends around here. I happen to have them and I'm proud to be an affiliate of Gagne's Gang. Come Champagne Slam, we're the ones who will be standing tall babay!

Commercial Break 

'The Latin Heartthrob' Al Perez vs. Hank White 

alp.jpg.385babc5f99261bd7642a5fc6931960f.jpg

Perez hits the helicopter drop and it's all over.

Nelson: Al Perez, it's you and Chicky Starr at Champagne Slam. You two have met before and....

Boos as DDP comes out with Chicky Starr.

DDP: Yo! It's me, it's me, it's DDP! Looky here Perez, my main man, Chicky Super Starr is going to wipe the mat with you at Champagne Slam. Tell him Chicky. 

Starr: Perez, you make me sick. You failed to win the world title and you went home to cry and sulk. You're back now and you think you're going to be a contender again. Oh no, I'm going to send you back home crying, like the cry baby you are. 

Perez: Big words Chicky. Especially from a guy I've already pinned twice. 

Perez smiles and leaves as Chicky and DDP throw a tantrum. 

Commercial Break 

Kokina w/Abbuda Iaukea vs. Bob Bernard 

kokina.jpg.f9f06b888f30e4c1a37fbeaab73456ba.jpg

Kokina destroys his opponent and finishes him off with a Samoan Drop! 

Nelson: Abbuda, your man Kokina and Nick Busick will go head to head at Champagne Slam. 

Iaukea: Busick! You should've never came back! Kokina is going to destroy, annihilate and break you in half at Champagne Slam! 

Commercial Break 

Nelson: Joining me now are the AWA World Tag Team Champs, DJ Peterson and Kevin Kelly, along with their manager, the Vin Man. 

Vinnie approaches the mic as DJ and Kelly stand back with the world titles on their shoulders. 

Vinnie: Larbo, I'm so happy! I'm managing the AWA world tag champs, yea! Now, I have something I want to give DJ and Kevin. 

Vinnie walks off camera and comes back with matching Hawaiian Shirts. He gives them to DJ and Kevin. 

Vinnie: Go on guys, try them on. You see, we need to be united and these shirts will help get you guys in the right mindset. When you enter the ring wearing these, you'll be too cool. 

DJ and Kevin put them on, they look at each other and give a 'not bad' smile and shrug. 

Kevin: Vin Man, you're right, we do look cool. Thank you brother.

DJ: I'll admit, we do look like a team. Vinnie, I appreciate this, but I need to know we're all on the same page and ready for the Bruise Brothers at Champagne Slam. 

Vinnie: DJ, everybody knows our history but I can assure you, Kevin and I have your back. We're champions! Yea! But, I can prove it to you the only way I know how. 

Vinnie starts singing " We are fam-ily, Kevbo, DJ and Vin-ie! Come on everybody! 

Kevin smiles and lowers his head, then raises it and joins in with Vinnie. They stop and look at DJ. DJ smiles and nods his head and they all start singing. 

"We are fam-ily, Kevbo, DJ and Vin-ie" 

Commercial Break 

'Quebecer' Richard Charland w/Frenchy Martin vs. Trent Atkins 

charland.jpg.f9285405741e55c8e529a2262081f7e6.jpgfrenchy.jpg.4a3f521b7a51982d6e031fd38e330704.jpg

Charland hits the inverted piledriver for the easy win. 

Nelson: Frenchy Martin, AWA C.O.O. Gerry Morrow personally handpicked Richard Charland to face the Ultimate Warrior at Champagne Slam. The Ultimate Warrior is coming in with a tremendous amount of hype. I mean, I've never seen anything like it. 

Frenchy: De key word is hype and dat is all dis Ultimate Warrior is, nothing but hype. At Champagne Slam he's stepping into the ring with a human wrecking machine. Just ask Corporal Kirchner what it's like facing Richard Charland. Richard Charland is de real deal and he's going to put that never will be Ultimate Warrior down and out of de AWA! 

Commercial Break 

The Guerreros and Billy Jack Strong w/Mando Guerrero vs. The Fortunate Ones and 'Marvelous' Mike George w/Greg Gagne 

guererros.jpg.c7215a2f8495a3d1f63035c11bf35cc9.jpgbilly.jpg.0c6386f5a8b4fc47568d78e9a72f1fdc.jpgyoung.jpg.510b0180f8cdfff20c4f845d9d006757.jpgstubbs.jpg.73f85f8644ce5b19bf8ae4ade6a8fa53.jpgmgeorge.jpg.5696db0f61fa72e2bbd4870746fab00e.jpg

The bell rings and all 6 men start going at it! On the outside, Gagne pushes Mando but Mando comes back and puts Gagne down with a punch. Crusher Blackwell runs out and attacks Mando! El Canek runs out and hammers away on Blackwell!

Inside the ring, the Guerreros hit stereo dropkicks on the Fortunate Ones. Strong hoists George on the turnbuckles and goes for a superplex, but Dream Machine runs out. However, before he gets to the ring, Johnny Rich tackles him down and punches away. Strong hits the superplex and covers 1..2..Gagne runs in and kicks Strong. The Ref signals for the DQ.

Mando runs in and punches away on Gagne. The Guerreros and Fortunate Ones are fighting. Strong is pounding down on George. Canek and Blackwell are still fighting on the outside as Rich continues to pound down on Dream Machine. 

Commercial Break 

Nelson: My goodness! All hell just broke loose. (Catches his breath) I hope they all settle things at Champagne Slam. Next week we'll have a special Champagne Slam preview show. But, before we get to that, tomorrow night the AWA will present the toast to our tag teams tournament. We'll see you there! 

See previous post for Champagne Slam card and Tournament 1st round match ups. 

Brown starts the show with a Pearl Harbor job on Colon.

Idol & Oliver get some shine ahead of Champagne Slam.

Adams tries to jump Nikita but it backfires leaving the Gentleman shaking.

Dream is riding high with his new friends.

Perez & Starr trade words before their showdown.

Vinnie is somehow getting his team on the same page.

I got a feeling Frenchy is gonna be eating these words.

The six man main event ends the show in chaos.

I gotta tell you, I would not want to be security and have to step between Bad News Brown and Carlos Colon when they are slugging it out around the ring.

Was never a fan of Austin Idol. To me, he never seemed to know who he wanted to be ... too much of a mix of the Boogie Woogie Man, a dose of Ric Flair and the top guys of Memphis who all did it better than him. On top of that, his terrible hair. Count me in for Camp Zbyszko, who no matter what with that dry delivery was always a hoot to listen to. Larry Land is open for business!

With all your talent up and down your roster and showcased on TV, Johnny Rich and Dream Machine is really an opening act. Sad as that is because it would really sell in the South and be an upper mid-card match-up, but unless there are others involved as you have it, they are curtain jerkers here and probably not needing some kind of story to tell as that takes away from some of your guys who could use that extra time or would want to be seen by the adoring fans. That's not a statement good or bad on your part, it is just a testament to massively strong roster you have been able to amass.

AWA 

awa2.jpg.f9782ae0c524d7a10c4fdd27cab51447.jpg

A Toast to the Tag Teams Tournament 

The Hammond Center, Hammond Indiana 4-1-88

Gerry Morrow is standing in the middle of the ring. He raises a glass.

"A toast to our many great tag teams. May de best team win" 

Opening Round Matches 

The Technicians vs. The Original Midnight Express w/Norvell Austin 

Pretty good contrast of styles match to get things going. The Technicians bring their technical A games and fluster the Midnights with several take downs, suplexes and submission moves. Midnights fire back and put their chemistry in full throttle. Technicians regain momentum with a double hip toss on Rose. Condrey charges in and gets a double back drop. The Ref guides Rheingans back to the corner. Fleming gets Rose up for a suplex but Condrey clips Fleming's knee from behind. Condrey falls on top as the Ref runs over and counts 1..2..3! Norvell is beyond elated. 

Winners of the match and advances to the semi finals- The Original Midnight Express 

The Glamour Boys vs. Mean Streak 

These two teams have had some fierce altercations and tonight is no different. Glamour Boys have a red hot start as they use their high flying offense and double team maneuvers to throw Mean Streak off their game. That comes to an abrupt stop when Adams nails Simpson with a clothesline from behind. From there, Miller and Adams brutalize Simpson for quite some time. Simpson finally makes the hot tag. Doll is a house of fire for awhile but Mean Streak once again shuts that down and work over Doll something serious, scoring several near falls. Frustration gets the best of Mean Streak as they begin to argue with the Ref, which allows Doll to tag in Simpson. Simpson dropkicks Miller into Adams. Adams falls through the ropes as Simpson rolls Miller up 1..2..3! The Glamour Boys exit. Mean Streak go berserk, argue with the Ref before putting him down with a double choke slam! 

Winners of the match and advances to the semi finals- The Glamour Boys 

Synergy vs. Badd Co. w/DDP 

Another match between two feuding teams. These teams deliver a fast paced, seesaw match. It's very evenly matched as both teams gel so well. Each team shines and show off some exciting stereo moves. DDP tries to interfere but Synergy knock him off the apron with stereo forearm blasts. A pier six brawl kicks off. The Ref finally gets control. Rice hits a sunset flip on Diamond but Tanaka nails Rice with a karate kick, the momentum carries Diamond over 1..2..3! 

The Winners of the Match and advances to the semi finals- Badd Co. 

The Gunslingers vs. United Kingdom

The opening round ends with another heated match up. This one is hard hitting. Gunslingers do a number on Taylor for awhile, but when Haystacks finally tags in, he goes in full monster mode and pinballs both Gunslingers around the ring. Taylor then tags in and puts his British brutality to work. United Kingdom scores several near falls but can't put the Gunslingers away. Gunslingers mount a comeback. Before you know it, all four men are in the ring fighting. Gunslingers double clothesline Taylor down, then double dropkick Haystacks. Haystacks staggers as the Gunslingers double dropkick him again. Haystacks falls back and gets tied up in the ropes! Taylor rises as the Gunslingers put him down with a double bulldog 1..2..3! 

Winners of the match and advances to the semi finals- The Gunslingers 

Semi-Finals 

The Glamour Boys vs. The Original Midnight Express w/Norvell Austin 

These teams have a history and tonight they pick up right where they left off. The Glamour Boys are still reeling from their earlier match with Mean Streak but they still put up one heck of a fight. The Midnights find their groove and start to really click. Glamour Boys just wont go down and make a fierce comeback. Norvell intervenes and trips Doll. Simpson sees this and goes after Norvell. Big mistake, because inside the ring, the Midnights pick up Doll and put him down with a double DDT 1..2..3! 

Winners of the match and advances to the Finals- The Original Midnight Express

The Gunslingers vs. Badd Co. w/DDP

This one's tag team 101.  Both teams look fluid, crisp and sharp. Nobody gains a solid advantage as both teams use quick tags to keep everybody fresh. Badd Co. gets control and put on a display with several double team concoctions. Gunslingers get their turn and show off their incredible chemistry. In the midst of all the action, the bell rings. The 20 minute time limit has expired. Both teams still want to go at it. DDP is screaming at the timekeeper. 

Gerry Morrow grabs the mic. 

"I know everybody wants to see a winner and so do I. Dis match will continue" 

The fans cheer as Morrow signals for the bell. 

The match picks up and the next few minutes is a roller coaster ride of action. Mantell hits a cradle suplex on Tanaka 1..2..Diamond breaks it. Casey runs in and clotheslines Diamond down. The Ref guides Casey back. Diamond gets up and clotheslines Mantell from behind. Casey charges back in. The Ref quickly guides him back. Tanaka picks up Mantell. Diamond karate kicks Mantell into a back suplex by Tanaka 1..2..3! Casey's a second to late. DDP is jumping up and down celebrating. 

Winners of the match and advances to the finals- Badd Company 

There's a 15 minute intermission 

Gerry Morrow congratulates the final two teams and puts over tonight's event. 

Tournament Finals 

Winners get a spot at the NWA's Crockett Cup and a paid vacation anywhere in the world 

Badd Co. w/DDP vs. The Original Midnight Express w/Norvell Austin 

The stage is set and both teams have been through a lot to get here. DDP and Norvell exchange words and keep a close eye on each other. The bell rings and we're off. 

Both teams conserve their energy and start off a little slower than previous matches. After a few minutes, things heat up when Condrey (from the apron) hits Diamond with a knee to the back. DDP berates the Ref and sends a warning to Norvell. Midnights work over Diamond for awhile until Tanaka evens things up by kneeing Condrey's back from the apron. Norvell yells over at a smiling DDP. Badd Co. gains the momentum and work over Condrey. Things really heat up when Tanaka hits Condrey with a flying spin kick and covers but Rose comes in and drops an elbow on Tanaka, which brings in Diamond, which eventually leads to a pier six brawl. After the Ref gets control, we get a few minutes of non stop heat filled action. Both teams put out their best and the segment becomes a tag team masterpiece. On the outside, tempers flare as DDP and Norvell have a shoving match. Inside the ring, the action is hot as another brawl breaks out. The Ref is trying to break up Tanaka and Rose. Diamond picks up Condrey for a slam, but Condrey cradles Diamond. The Ref is guiding Rose back to his corner. Tanaka runs over and reverses the cradle. The Ref runs over and guides Tanaka back, which allows Rose to run over and reverse the cradle. The Ref turns around and counts 1..2..3!! 

Norvell and DDP stop pushing each other. Norvell sees the Ref raise his men's arms up and runs in the ring to celebrate. DDP is deflated and guides his team to the back. 

Gerry Morrow gets in the ring, grabs the mic and raises his glass.

"A toast to de Midnight Express. Congratulations and after what I witnessed tonight, you will represent de AWA well at de Crockett Cup" 

Winners of the Toast to the Tag Team Tournament- The Original Midnight Express! 

midnites.jpg.c8ee58e1244698a8e5e3d07b1cd8e14d.jpg

I imagine Mean Streak is gonna lose some money after laying out the ref.

Good thing Morrow was there to kick the Gunslingers/Badd Company match into overtime.

Considering we all already knew who was winning there was a danger of this coming off as anticlimactic but you did a great job overcoming that. After having to go through The Technicians, The Glamour Boys & Badd Company there's no doubt that the OG Midnights have earned their way into the Crockett Cup. 

And I would be remiss if I didn't give due credit to Badd Company who knows overcame both their rivals Synergy & The Gunslingers in overtime to earn their slot in the finals.

The build to Champagne slam continues.  Bad News-Carlos Colon continues to be of interests as the future of the AWA is at stake and I have no idea which way you go.

Was never a fan of Austin Idol. To me, he never seemed to know who he wanted to be ... too much of a mix of the Boogie Woogie Man, a dose of Ric Flair and the top guys of Memphis who all did it better than him. On top of that, his terrible hair. Count me in for Camp Zbyszko, who no matter what with that dry delivery was always a hoot to listen to. Larry Land is open for business!

I think I might be on the opposite side of LastStop on this one.  I thought Idol was the real deal in both Georgia and Southeastern Championship Wrestling.  He was to Alabama what Tommy Rich was to Georgia.  I am all in on Camp Idol!  This is what makes this hobby so fun!

WOW... Midnight Express going to the Crockett Cup!  I wonder if we could see both MNE vs MNE

21 hours ago, kevinmcfl said:

I think I might be on the opposite side of LastStop on this one.  I thought Idol was the real deal in both Georgia and Southeastern Championship Wrestling.  He was to Alabama what Tommy Rich was to Georgia.  I am all in on Camp Idol!  This is what makes this hobby so fun!

WOW... Midnight Express going to the Crockett Cup!  I wonder if we could see both MNE vs MNE

You can say that again.

Can't wait to see the brackets/match-ups.

AWA 

Champagne Slam Preview Show

First off, the AWA congratulates The Original Midnight Express on winning the Toast to the Tag Teams Tournament. The Midnights will represent the AWA at the NWA's Crockett Cup. Also representing the AWA will be last year's Crockett Cup winners Jumbo Tsuruta and Tatsumi Fujinami. 

At Champagne Slam, the AWA National Tag Team Champs Venomous will be in a non title dark match. This will be their first match back since suffering injuries at the hands of the Midnight Express.

The Ultimate Warrior vs. 'Quebecer' Richard Charland w/Frenchy Martin

The hype on the Warrior has been unreal. He's had several vignettes and promos and will make his long awaited AWA in ring debut at Champagne Slam. Opposing him will former National tag champ Richard Charland. Gerry Morrow handpicked Charland after watching Charland defeat Corporal Kirchner in a boot camp match. 

Cannonball Griz vs. Scott 'Powerhouse' Putski 

This started at a battle royal when Putski eliminated Griz. After Putski was eliminated, Griz slammed Putski on the concrete. Last week, Griz struck again and powerslammed Putski twice. Here's the thing, Griz's manager Norvell Austin will be at the Crockett Cup that weekend and won't be in Griz's corner at Champagne Slam. Without that distraction, Putski's attention will be all on Griz. 

'The Latin Heartthrob' Al Perez vs. Chicky Starr

Breaking news in this match as Starr's manager DDP recently left the AWA to join WCW. Perez has already scored a couple pins on Starr. All this has got to be on Starr's mind. 

'Crippler' Rip Oliver vs. Ray 'The Crippler' Stevens

Stevens exploded back to the AWA, attacked Oliver which ended with Stevens piledriving Oliver on the concrete. Stevens said Oliver was disgracing the 'Crippler' name. Oliver returned weeks later and paid Stevens back with a piledriver. Who will win the Battle of the Cripplers? 

Nick Busick vs. Kokina w/Abbuda Iaukea 

4 months ago, Busick was having serious shoulder issues. Kokina really did a number on Busick's hurt shoulder which led to Larry Zbyszko ending Busick's year long TV title reign. Busick had surgery and is back. Iaukea has vowed that Kokina will put Busick on the shelf for good. 

10-Man Tag Team Elimination Bout 

El Canek/Billy Jack Strong/'The Wild One' Johnny Rich and The Guerreros w/Mando Guerrero 

vs.

Crusher Blackwell/'Marvelous' Mike George/Dream Machine and The Fortunate Ones w/Greg Gagne 

A lot going on here. Crusher Blackwell shocked everyone when he joined up with Gagne's Gang and attacked El Canek in a dressing room, slamming a locker on top of him. Mike George was tuning up for a Mid-American title shot by facing Billy Jack Strong. Strong won the match. George and Gagne blamed Strong for George's eventual loss to Austin Idol. George defeated Strong in a TV match with help from Gagne. The Guerreros came to the AWA after the Fortunate Ones and Blackwell attacked Mando and put him out of action. These two teams have been trading wins across the loop. Johnny Rich came to the AWA to redeem the Rich name. Dream Machine wanted Rich to come to his senses and be more like his cousin Tommy. Dream offered his "friendship" and watched Johhny get attacked by Gagne's Gang, proving he needed friends. Rich gave Dream an answer with a fist to the face. Dream now has his friends and Rich has found his. Who will remain standing in the end? 

'The Russian Nightmare' Nikita Koloff vs. 'Gentleman' Chris Adams w/Baby Doll 

This got heated earlier in the year which led to a match. Nikita won the hard fought match with a roll up. A week later, things reached a boiling point when Adams superkicked a chair into Nikita's face. While Nikita was out of action, Adams and Baby Doll bragged about putting the big bad Nkita down. Nikita came back and tore the face guard off to show he was healthy and ready to take Adams down. I think this will come down to Russian Sickle vs. Superkick. Two very over finishers. 

Title vs. Title

AWA Mid-American Champ Austin Idol vs. AWA TV Champ 'The Living Legend' Larry Zbyszko 

Simple enough. Zbyszko wants 2 titles and challenged Idol, saying he would put his title up as well. Idol gladly accepted. Gerry Morrow loved the idea and signed it. This has been more of a war of words. 

AWA World Tag Team Title Bout 

'Dynamite' DJ Peterson and 'Mr. Magnificent' Kevin Kelly (C) w/The Vin Man vs. The Bruise Brothers 

DJ and Kelly have been in an on and off feud for years. This feud has even crossed into other promotions. They recently rekindled it in a big way. Things took a crazy turn in a battle royal, where the last two men remaining would get to team up for a world tag title shot. Wouldn't you know it, DJ and Kelly were the last two men standing. Nobody gave them a chance at Title Night, because they were facing the dominant Bruise Brothers. What most considered a fluke, DJ and Kelly somehow pulled it off and won the titles. At first, they still harbored bad feelings towards each other, but Vinnie got them on the right track by saying after all this time in the AWA, they were now champs. Can they keep this up? The Bruise Brothers don't think so and are coming for blood and the titles. 

AWA World Title Bout

Bad News Brown (C) vs. Carlos Colon

Their match in Puerto Rico impressed Gerry Morrow so much that he immediately signed the rematch for Champagne Slam. At Title Night (Puerto Rico), they battled to a bloody double c.o. Brown was going to hit Colon with the ringside bell but Colon managed to take it and clocked Brown with it. Since then, they've had two wild pull apart brawls on TV. Brown has had an incredible title reign. However, a lot of people think he's met his match with Colon. We'll see who walks out as champ at Champagne Slam. 

Champagne Slam

Market Square Arena

Saturday, April 15th

Live on pay per view