KawadaSmile

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, DMJ said:

But back to the wrestling talk...I tried NXT 2.0. Still doesn't do it for me. Bron Breakker is cool, I guess, but there are still some elements on the show that are really off-putting. (...) The production style is still very much WWE and not different enough for me. (...) I'm not sure the ratings will ever drop to the point that USA pulls it because its probably cheap filler for USA to air and they want to keep their partnership with WWE obviously, but will this new version of NXT ever catch hold of a wider audience? I doubt it. 

I'm exactly at the same point. I've watched bits and pieces and although yes indeed Bron Steiner is cool and has tons of potential, the whole thing still reeks of good old WWE to me. And WWE's production, presentation and booking/match ideas are so off-putting to me (I don't even want to mention the announcing) that it's just a no no. For instance that Toxic Attraction segment was cringe as fuck, with the awful unnatural WWE verbiage and reference to NXT *2.0* at every corner because it's Da Brand. And really a bunch of average at best two minutes matches is not gonna cut it for me (and how this is gonna teach those guys to learn how to work actual match with content is beyond me, just throw these guys into the sea and let them work it out). With AEW and IMPACT weekly shows plus regular stuff from Japan and some older stuff I watch from time to time, that show has no shot getting into my weekly pro-wrestling regime, which is already way too fat (got way too much time on my hands).

The thing is, it looks more like a developmental program, but the flipside is that NXT was put on TV not as a developmental tool but because it was supposed to be a hot "promotion" to counter-act the pissant company. That horse has left the barn. So now you'll get a bunch of green as grass people doing in-front of TV training, basically. For now it's brand new and has caught the attention of people, good for them, but how sustainable is it, especially since, as a "real" developmental tool (as opposed to what NXT had become), how long before Vince just throws whomever he wants in the main roster letting the program high and dry like he did in the times of OVW ? Except this time, it will hurt a show that's on national TV.

Saw it pointed out on Twitter that people in WWE that "come up with their own ideas" do so with the intent of getting noticed by the audience of one, and those are very different ideas than they would come up with if they were doing so for a pro wrestling oriented audience.

(also it's sad to see these folks making obvious pre-emptive "please don't get mad at the company for this gimmick I'm doing" tweets)

On 9/24/2021 at 8:14 PM, C.S. said:

Is it just me or has this Becky Lynch heel turn been a creative disaster that has only served to cool both her and Bianca Belair down considerably?

I legitimately feel like them bringing back Becky, as a heel, to squash the mega popular Bianca at SummerSlam is one of the worst decisions they've made as a company in a decade.

And that covers A LOT of bad decisions.

AslongasThornespeaksinonelongsentencelikearealAustralianhe'llbealright. Andifhethrowsrisinginflections?intothemiddle?andespeciallytheend?ofsentenceshe'llbeevenbetter?

It's my pet gripe about Australian wrestlers, as I'm sure I've mentioned here - too much bloody elocution!

1 hour ago, Dav'oh said:

AslongasThornespeaksinonelongsentencelikearealAustralianhe'llbealright. Andifhethrowsrisinginflections?intothemiddle?andespeciallytheend?ofsentenceshe'llbeevenbetter?

It's my pet gripe about Australian wrestlers, as I'm sure I've mentioned here - too much bloody elocution!

This is why I appreciated Billie Kay trying to sound like the biggest bogan she possibly could. 

Shane is 36 years old and has been with WWE 5 1/2 years now. He needed to hustle so to avoid the likely/rumoured November cuts - WWE's Q3 earnings report and the want to slash costs. 

Shane is Australian so no WWE likely leaves him without a Visa sponsor. I'd be terrified in his position and he did the right thing for some whose back is against the wall.

Yeah, It's 2021, a pandemic, and a buyer's market for talent because of all of the releases. I'm all for the guy doing whatever keeps him employed and gets him the 24/7 title and TV time. It's weird because I thought he had huge upside when I first saw TM-61. He, more than any of the talent they've had in the last ten years that have been positioned that way, came off like a young Shawn Michaels. Ah well.

3 hours ago, BigBadMick said:

the local interpretation

Bogans are a special breed, whose heyday was in the 1970s and 80s. Originally characterised by an ACDC t-shirt with a pack of ciggies in the sleeve, tight Faberge jeans, international-calibre mullets and always with beer in hand, your bogan was most comfortable with moccassins on his feet, or thongs (translation: flip-flops) if he was taking the missus out for dinner. The female of the species is known as a "Shazza", and drops more c-bombs than any other group of people on the planet. 

4 hours ago, Dav'oh said:

or thongs (translation: flip-flops) 

Wait, you Aussies (it isn't a bad word, right ?) use the word thongs for flip-flops ? That's funny, French use it too (written tongs) ! And of course we call thong a "string" (en français dans le texte), because that makes all the sense in the world, right...

On 9/24/2021 at 5:43 PM, DMJ said:

But back to the wrestling talk...I tried NXT 2.0. Still doesn't do it for me. Bron Breakker is cool, I guess, but there are still some elements on the show that are really off-putting. I want to like Beth Phoenix because she seems like a great person, but I don't love her commentary. The production style is still very much WWE and not different enough for me. The setting is obviously not nearly as hot as tuning in to an AEW show. If I only have 2-3 hours of wrestling to watch each week, NXT is still going to fall behind Dynamite, Rampage, and whatever old PPVs/shows that I'm watching for my blog or on recommendation. I'm not sure the ratings will ever drop to the point that USA pulls it because its probably cheap filler for USA to air and they want to keep their partnership with WWE obviously, but will this new version of NXT ever catch hold of a wider audience? I doubt it. 

Same. I was intrigued, and then they put the title back on fucking ciampa of all people, and this "reboot" rebooted it right back to 2018 and why I stopped watching in the first place.