Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - October 6, 2021

MoS

I caught up with the rest of the show. The botch in the opener 8-man was fine cuz it was the heels who fucked up the power spot, but the match itself was meh I thought. There were a few rough spots and the Elite when allowed to team up and run unrestrained can get too spotty. But they made Jungle Boy look like a million bucks. They are very very high on him. 

Arn is awesome but I cannot wait until this Cody thing reaches its culmination. This entire story is so boring to me until he turns.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Omega/Danielson doesn't need the belt, but the belt needs Omega/Danielson. If they're feuding over who the best in the world is, one of them should be the champion. Otherwise, Page looks like a paper champion. And dethroning the guy who beat Danielson will mean a lot more than dethroning the guy who went to a time-limit draw with him.

This definitely feels like a key time in AEW as to whether Tony Khan is really going to go "all in" on a booking philosophy that Vince McMahon has never or, at most, very rarely attempted and that is to give 100% trust in the workers and the audience too in regards to what Ws and Ls mean and how that plays into future matches.

The current WWE Philosophy would dictate that either Page loses because he's "still not ready" or Page wins, but its by shenanigans involving run-ins that lead to a future match (for example, if Adam Cole botches his interference, planting seeds for Page/Omega, or if Danielson comes out and gives the "assist"). The philosophy goes that if Omega just loses clean, you'll be hurting Omega/Danielson, which is the "real money match" and both guys need to be protected to get there. 

And, generally speaking, I'm actually kind of a fan of that sort of booking. Its what I grew up with. It undeniably creates drama. When it works well and with the right ingredients, like the end of the 91' Rumble and how it reset the course for WrestleMania VIII or when Austin returned to to help Foley win his first WWE World Championship, it can absolutely work. 

But AEW is changing a lot of preconceived notions about what is and isn't "the right way" to do things, especially because "the right way" was interpreted as the "only way" and the "only way" was the "WWE way" because they were the only major company around for the past 20 years. 

I think AEW fans can not only handle Page beating Omega clean and still view Omega/Danielson II as a top-level dream match, but would prefer it to the "overbooking" and shenanigans that the WWE would likely utilize in this same scenario. 

The question, of course, is whether Tony has the booking finesse to keep a number of guys - Miro and MJF currently, for example, but presumably Omega too  - "hot" even after they've suffered major losses. So far, he's been able to do it with the Young Bucks by keeping them in high profile matches and storylines, though, on the other hand, it does seem to have led to the Lucha Bros not necessarily dethroning them the way their win could've/should've.

It will be interesting. Which is why AEW is interesting.

57 minutes ago, MoS said:

It doesn't need the belt but it can be argued the belt needs the feud.

Nah. That belt doesn't need anything. It has enough value on his own with the only three champs thus far being Jericho/Moxley/Omega. This title means something, unlike in WWE. Plus it's not like Page can't have meaningful defenses after either. Adam Cole is right there. So is CM Punk. And Miro. And Malakai. And of course... Danielson, once he's done with Omega.

That being said, I would still do Page vs Omega after Omega beats Danielson. ;) 

57 minutes ago, MoS said:

Wouldn't Hangman and his title programs be overshadowed if Danielson-Omega is happening? I actually am not sure cuz one thing is clear: Hangman is over like a God in front of AEW crowds.

You answered your own question. The title is meaningful. Hangman is over as fuck. It won't be overshadowed. Plus I don't think they are gonna do several other Danielson vs Omega matches either. That's not how Coach Tony K. has been booking thus far. I see one other match, maybe two at the most and then they'll both move on. 

The peak of the entire storyline is of course the Elite being back together (a few years) down the road as babyfaces. Without Cody, obviously. :lol:

Page would not look like a paper champ (really now, people have been totally matrixed by 20 years of WWE monopoly it seems). AEW would look like they have not only a great World Champ in a meaningful title feud but also a great dream-match program. You can have both if you're booked strong, it only makes the product as a whole bigger. But like I said, I'm fine either way (because I'm confident it will be great anyway) even though I'd have Omega beat Danielson first.

Page can cash in whenever so they can wait until Bryan/Omega is over I guess. I'd like to see some way of Bryan vs Page, either with Kenny saying they need to face each other to see who the real number one contender is, or something as simple as Bryan or Page saying they want to face who they see as the number one contender to earn their spot, which would be fitting for both characters. Would be real interesting for the crowd reaction to that, since the crowd was straight up booing Mox when it looked like he would win over Page. Wonder if there would be a similar reaction to Bryan and how he could in turn ramp up his more vicious and dickhead side in such a match.

Judging by the heat Dan Lambert got, the AEW crowds sure seem to care a whole lot about these "MMA nobodies". AEW has been really good at knowing what buttons to press to get heel reactions from their fanbase, and it's not like WWE where the heel factions just get ENDLESS HEAT with no comeuppance. 

I'm with @El-P here. There's no reason why, if well booked, you can't have a the most over guy in the company be the champ while at the same time have a program with Omega/Danielson fighting for "who's the best". You can also have Hangmayne mock them (specially if Omega wins the rematch) by saying he's the best in the world because he's the champ, which can lead to a title defense down the line too. There's tons of things you can work around having those two programs running along.

I understand having some PTSD because of WWE's horrible booking but "paper champion" is not the first thing that comes to mind when it comes to Page beating Kenny before the rematch with Danielson.

47 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Judging by the heat Dan Lambert got, the AEW crowds sure seem to care a whole lot about these "MMA nobodies". AEW has been really good at knowing what buttons to press to get heel reactions from their fanbase, and it's not like WWE where the heel factions just get ENDLESS HEAT with no comeuppance. 

I don't know. I attribute that heat entirely on Lambert being an incredible heel that's so easy to despise. It's like OG Vickie Guerrero but with more material than just "excuse me!".

Of course if we play the game of clues...

First Dynamite after Full Gear is in Norfolk, Virginia, home state of Hangman. 

Last year at Full Gear, Kenny Omega defeated Hangman Page in the AEW World title qualifier match, which sent Hangman Page basically into his depressive road before he got picked up by the Dark Order.

Full Gear is named after Hangman Page's old skit on BTE.

So, in many ways it looks like the perfect timing. Considering it's more than two months, there's plenty of time to do that Omega vs Danielson match before for a big-ass Dynamite special.

Baseball got lucky that big market teams and teams with historical fanbases like the Cardinals got in the playoffs this year. Like if MLB could hand pick the teams they wanted it would pretty much be this group. I would expect monster numbers all around. 

The Astros are gonna be heel draws since everyone outside of Houston  hates them for being the most obvious cheaters in baseball since the heyday of the spitball. Atlanta always has a larger than expected following since so many people grew up watching them on TBS.