Pro Wrestling Only

National Wrestling Alliance

Autistic Dragon

Wow...Wow...Wow.   This show was awesome.

Highlights for me....

Who is the Midnight Stallion after the first bout and then we see it is none other than Tully Blanchard and he is all over Ric Flair!  This might be the feud of the year in 88.

Brody over Hansen!  If anyone was going to take out Hansen, Brody is a great choice!

Ox hitting his own man with the Heart Punch!

The continued rise of Col. DeBeers.  You have done a great job with this angle.

I like the idea of you selling the name World Championship Wrestling.  To me, this name signifies the end of the territory age and I am glad it is out of the NWA region.  

Great show!!!

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The night begins with intrigue as the unknown Midnight Stallion wins the battle royal.

I really enjoyed the Pride/Lightfoot feud, and the payoff was well worth it. Pride has some momentum going into 88.

The SPC finally put an end to their feud with Radiance, and it looks like Radiance has put an end to their relationship with Sherri. 

I liked the team of Grapplers and Mega Man. However, Trinity puts them down to retain. Trinity is on a roll. 

Congrats to the New Breed! All their hard work has paid off. Jump'n Joe ends his career on a high note. 

Ox's shenanigans backfire and SSM gets a big win over Abby to retain. 

Big things are in store for Debeers after that incredible performance in the War of Attrition match. That match was insane! 

Brody and Hansen give the fans a straight up fight! Brody earned that win and title. 

Huge news as Windy City acquires the WCW name! NWA promises to continue its non stop wrestling action and I believe it! 

The battle of the Nature Boys delivers us a classic! Flair hangs on to win it with the figure four. Great finish! But wait, there's more! The Midnight Stallion is Tully Blanchard! Unbelievable! What a shocking finish! 

Props to you and all your hard work. 1987 was an amazing year and I can't wait for more NWA in 88! 

Really appreciate all the love for the Midnight Stallion angle.

Fun fact: I had already decided to have Tully enter the match under a mask but was originally going to call him The Masked Marvel but as I was writing the show it occurred to me to search his history for another name. Turns out he competed under two names besides him own with Midnight Stallion being the one that stood out to me. 

(In case your curious, he also competed as The Outlaw)

• 2 weeks later...

image.png.ab412852b8924190d563168d7b737ad6.png

From the Memorial Auditorium in Spartanburg SC.

Previously recorded & airing on 1/7/88 on the USA Network.

On Commentary: Gordon Solie

Ring announcer/Interviews: Sean Moony

The Renegade Warriors (Chris and Mark Youngblood) vs Tough Guy Inc Don Bass & Big Daddy Cyrus)

It's the first NWA show of 1988 and Solie promises a night for returns as well as surprise debuts such as tonight's main event(heh). Our opening contest of the new year sees the return of the popular Youngblood brothers back from a stint in Chicago. The newly restructured Tough Guy Inc looks to spoil their return as they lay into the Warriors with simple but effective brawling. The Youngblood's weather the storm however and a top rope sunsetflip from Chris to Cyrus makes their return a successful one.

"The World's Strongest Man" Bill Kazmaier vs Black Bart

Someone else returning from the Windy City is Black Bart who's clearly as ornery as ever. Taking him on is a man making his debut for the NWA, Bill Kazmaier whose feats of strength have impressed crowds from the AWA to Mid-South. He wastes no time impressing the Spartanburg faithful, scoring repeated slams on the 350 pound Texan. Say what you will about Bart, the man's no pushover and pounds away on the Candaian strongman whenever he gets the chance. The end sees Kazmaier blow the fans, as well as Solie's, minds as he actually manages to get the big man into a military press only for the experienced heel to rake his eyes before slamming down and, clearly in a rush to end this, climbs the ropes for a "Texas Trash Compactor". Bart may be the one with his hand raised but Kazmaier had certainly proved himself to the NWA fans.

Madina Ala Maas, Ascanio Rani Sourd & Tiw Aiobhe O'Shaughnessy vs "The Monster" Rip Morgan

Whatever Jim Crockett Jr paid these guys, it was NOT enough. Morgan utterly destroys the three men before finally chokeslaming them one after another each on top of the one before then putting a boot on the pile for the pin. Morgan is stomping up the ramp before being stopped by Col Debeers. Debeers says something to the towering Australian before they leave together. Oh damn.

Sean Moony: Ladies and Gentlemen, My name is Sean Moony and it's been a wonderful first night for me so far and it continues as my first interview is with the man who shocked the wrestling world at Christmas Chaos. Please welcome Tully Blanchard and the Four Horsemen.

(Thunderous boos as Blanchard arrogantly strools to the ring followed by JJ, The Andersons and....NOT Stan Hansen but a young man with brown hair, matching goatee and a set of red in the front/white in the back trunks)

SM: Well Mr Blanchard, you certainly had everyone talking after your actions at Christmas Chaos. First you win the "Merry Christmas" battle royal under a mask but then you attack Ric Flair after he had a gruelling match with Buddy Landel.

TB: well first of all Muddy, the only reason I wore that mask is because I knew if I entered under my real name, nobody else would've showed up for that battle royal. And as for Flair, last year he used the title shot he won in this same match to steal MY WORLD TITLE! And I can't think of anything more fitting then to use that same battle royal to right the greatest wrong in the history of the NWA when I take back what I should've never lost. Flair you won't know when, you won't know where but rest assured, the second I cash in my title shot, the Ten Pounds of Gold is coming back to the Horsemen.

SM: Well speaking of the Horsemen, it seems Buddy Landel isn't the only one missing, where might I ask is Stan Hansen?

JJ:  Mr Hansen received a very lucrative business opportunity in Florida and has gone to pursue it with our blessing. We wish him the best of luck. But rest assured we've already found a suitable replacement.

SM: *looks sceptically at the young man standing between Ole & Arn* Surely you aren't referring to this young man are you?

*The Horsemen look at each other before all bursting into laughter, even t the kid*

JJ: Oh no this is an unrelated issue. No the newest Horsemen will be debuting next week on this very program and when he does, there will be no question that the Horsemen are the single most elite group in professional wrestling today.

SM: Well we'll be keeping an eye on that I'm sure, but that still leaves the question of who is this young man you've brought out here and what is his connection to the Horsemen?

(JJ steps aside while Ole steps forward)

Ole: I'll take it from here Mr Monday.

SM: it's Mooney.

Ole: I could not possibly care less. As I was saying Mr Monkey, this isn't Horsemen business. This *places a hand on the kid's shoulder with an almost.... affectionate(?) look* is family business. I'm sure the creatures that live here *boooo* remember my Brother Gene and how he and I used to dominate the competition all around Georgia & the Mid-Atlantic region, just as I did with our Brother Lars and just like I do with cousin Arn. Well Gene may have hung up the boots back in 85 but he has one final contribution to the wrestling business and that's teaching his son everything he knows. *A buzz goes around the arena as the crowd starts to put together where Ole's going with this* Without any further ado, Arn and I present to you the newest member of the Armstrong wrestling dynasty....Brad Anderson!

George South vs Brad Anderson w/The Horsemen.

Just a showcase for the youngest Anderson who spends the whole match picking South's arm apart before clamping on a Fujiwara armbar for the submission victory earning him a round of applause from the Horsemen at ringside.

NWA World Television Title.

Super Strong Machine(c) vs Abdullah the Butcher

Solie explains that due to the chaotic ending of their match at Christmas Chaos, NWA officials agreed that a rematch was in order. Fans are shocked when Abby stalks to the ring accompanied not by Ox Baker but rather "Number One" Paul Jones! They have another hard-hitting match with SSM seeming to have a slightly better grasp on how to handle the Madman from the Sudan. He manages to get the challenger in what Solie describes as a "Japanese sleeper" and it looks like the Arabian terror is about to go out when Jones signals to the back which summons Matt Borne and the Great Kabuki who storm the ring and assault the TV champion causing a DQ finish. Abby gets to his feet and joins in on a 4-1 beatdown with even Jones getting his licks in before security manages to get control of the situation.

NWA World Tag Team Titles

The Commonwealth (Adrian Street Bill Dundee)(c) w/Ms Linda ?&?

The Commonwealth are in the ring getting warmed up when "Old Time Rock & Roll" by Bob Seger comes over the pa system. The fans look excitedly to the entrance before absolutely ERUPTING when Ricky Morton and Robert Gibson run down the aisle. The Rock n Roll Express are in the NWA! The Commonwealth are as shocked as anyone but they recover and we get a fun southern style tag team main event. The Express are all high octane offense which the champs counter with stiff strikes and some snub submissions from Street. We get a action filled ending with all four men in the ring. The Commonwealth look to Irish whip the Express into each other only to have it reversed. The champs crash into each other and stagger back into stereo O'Connor rolls. The ref counts both pins 1...2...3! The Rock n Roll Express are NWA World Tag Team Champions!

image.png.98c99f246608cba380c273b71317fbe8.png

Taped at the Memorial Auditorium before Main Event.

Originally airing on 1/9/88 on the USA Network.

On Commentary: Bob Caudle & David Crockett.

"The Candyman" Ray Candy defeats Tom Brandi with the "Chocolate Drop"

The debuting Moondogs (Rex & Spot) w/"Number One" Paul Jones defeat The Carolina Bobcats with a backbreaker/elbowdrop combination on Bobcat #1

Tom "MegaMan" McGee defeats Bart Sawyer with the slingshot legdrop.

Winner challenges for the NWA World Television Title on next week's Main Event.

"Rotten" Ron Starr defeats Ranger Ross with a handful of tights.

In other news....

Paul Jones joins commentary for the Moondogs mauling of the Bobcats. He says that with the money he made in Chicago he's built the deadliest Army in the history of professional wrestling and this time, he is going to CONQUER the NWA!

We get a pre-taped promo from Col Debeers. He says that while Boyd & The Sheepherders have been reassigned to another "problem area" he has assembled a new squad with whom he will continue to spread the "true glory of her majesty's Commonwealth" he then brings in Rip Morgan and a mean looking man wearing army fatigues and a Northern Ireland patch whom he calls David Finlay.

A hype video plays showing Ron Garvin battering a variety of opponents before dropping all of them with the "Hands of Stone" punch.

I wanted to tell you that starrcade was a blast. I thought I wrote something on it... but it never posted from my phone... I apologize.

Coming to now... you've got some new names and people showing up in the NWA. World Wide Wrestling is the perfect showcase show that the NWA was known for. The Rock N Roll come in huge... so does Brad Anderson. While I think that Ricky and Robert will soar... I hope Brad can stay afloat. Ron Garvin has got the hands of stone but I am interested to see who he uses them on. Does Ray Candy hand out candy to the kids like Brad Armstrong did?

NWA is off and running in 88! Look who pops up, none other than Sean Moody. Nice addition to the announcing team.

Renegade Warriors are off to a good start by beating the restructured Tough Guy Inc. 

Kaz gets his strength over in a big way but the crafty heel vet Black Bart picks up the win. 

Beating 3 men is a sure fire way to get over. Add in Debeers and Morgan's already a hot commodity. 

Poor Moody had his hands full with Tully and the Andersons LOL. Tully vs. Flair is going to be epic! Can't wait to see who the next Horsemen is. 

The name Anderson goes a long way. With Ole and Arn mentoring him, Brad should live up to expectations. 

SSM has things going his way until all hell breaks loose. In a very short amount of time, Paul Jones has acquired the services of Abby, Borne and Kabuki! WOW! 

The show ends with a booming bang as RNR arrive and defeat the Commonwealth for the tag titles! RnR will draw huge crowds all across the NWA loop. No doubt about it. 

Worldwide,

Jones strikes again, with the Moondogs! This is getting better and better.

Mega Man keeps up his winning ways.

Starr gets the TV title shot, but I wouldn't want to face SSM right now. 

Love the factions going here. Jones has quite the cliental while Debeers has some big things planned. 

Always liked Ron Garvin. His blue collar style will be a great fit in the NWA.

Great stuff! 

Really, really fun TV show to kick off the new year!

Just a side note... love your jobber names.  So creative.  This is something I usually just skip over but here it just added to the creativity of the show.

Like Kazmaier getting over with the fans even in a loss.  Black Bart is someone who could really play a big role in 88.

Rip Morgan is another one, like Black Bart, who could be really big in 88 and you did an awesome job building him up here.

Really enjoyable to read interview with the 4 Horseman.  Liked Tully's reason for the mask and how he is coming after Flair. Also, you put the hook into us as we wait for the 4th Horseman.  Nice intro by Brady Anderson by Ole.  Thought the history lesson added to make Brady's expectations even higher.

Just seeing Abbie in a competitive match on TV would have amazed me when I was a kid.  This shows you were the Super Machine stands in the NWA.  Like how your roster is developing.  You have some fun feuds going and new toys to play with in 88.

Speaking of new toys... The RnR Expess is here!  

Interesting how you put the titles on them on their first appearance.  I think you could really bring in the money by hyping up a rematch.  Adrian Street and Dundee are great on the mic and this could be fun.

Real excited to see what you do with Col Debeers and his new group.  SUCH MAJOR HEAT HERE.  Awesome start to 88

image.png.59b215f288138a724a88c4e95011769e.png

NWA Live @ the Sumter County Exhibition Center in Sumter SC 1/10/88

"World's Strongest Man" Bill Kazmaier defeats a local talent with a running powerslam.

David "Fit" Finlay defeats "The Haitian Sensation" Tyree Pride with a Tombstone Piledriver. The fans were shocked to see Jr Foley accompany Finlay to ringside.

"Hangman" Bobby Jaggers defeats "Golden Boy" Chic Donavon with a reverse neckbreaker.

"Soul Man" Rocky Johnson defeats "Rotten" Ron Starr with the "Soul Man Shuffle"

NWA World Six Man Tag Team Titles

The Celestial Trinity (Zodiac, Jason the Terrible & Angel of Death)(c) defeat The Commandos (Boone & Frazier) and Ranger Ross when Zodiac pins Frazier with a loaded headbutt.

NWA United States Title

Bruiser Brody(c) defeats Iceman Parsons with the "King Kong Knee Drop"

image.png.12f3609bb8c78e13fcb988af2768c346.png

NWA Live @ the "Old" Charlotte Coliseum in Charlotte NC 1/12/88

Col Debeers wins a 20 battle royal to challenge for the NWA World Heavyweight Title in the main event last eliminating Keiichi Yamada.

"The Candyman" Ray Candy defeats Big Daddy Cyrus with the "Chocolate Drop"

The Great Kabuki w/"Number One" Paul Jones will a "Asian Mist"/Thrust kick combo.

The Moondogs (Rex & Spot) w/"Number One" Paul Jones vs The Renegade Warriors (Chris & Mark Youngblood) ends in a double countout.

"Raging Bull Manny Fernandez defeats "The Monster" Rip Morgan w/Jr Foley after ducking under a big boot and coming off the ropes with the "Flying Burrito"

non title.

Super Strong Machine defeats "Maniac" Matt Borne w/"Number One" Paul Jones by disqualification when Borne decked the referee for..... reasons.

NWA World Heavyweight Title.

"Nature Boy" Ric Flair(c) defeats Col Debeers w/Jr Foley by countering a face first Piledriver attempt into a inside cradle. Huge hometown pop.

Finlay with Foley could be trouble for the NWA.

Vets Jaggers and Johnson pull out nice wins.

Trinity have been unstoppable since winning the 6 man titles. 

Brody ends the night in a big way.

The biggest heel in the game earns a world title shot. 

The Candyman still can. 

Always liked the mysterious Kabuki. Glad he's in a good role here.

I've always been a sucker for midcard feuds. The Youngbloods and Moondogs fits that bill well. 

Raging Bull puts the monster down. 

LOL! For reasons. That says it all. 

Flair sends the fans home really happy by retaining against Debeers. Good booking with the finish. Debeers doesn't lose any heat. 

Awesome job with the continued DeBeers angle.  Even in a loss, his status as a huge heel is growing.  

Very interested in seeing the development of Finley.  He could be very big here in the NWA.

Nice job with getting everyone some action.  I know with a roster as large as we all have, it is sometimes tough but you do a nice job of giving everyone on the roster a role.

image.png.034827b912bc167e220c7b4ad529a4bd.png

From the Cumberland County Memorial Auditorium in Fayetteville NC.

Previously recorded airing on 1/14/88 on the USA Network.

Ring announcer/interviews: Sean Moony

Ranger Ross vs David "Fit" Finlay w/Jr Foley

Col Debeers joins Solie on commentary and reveals that Jr Foley has been assigned to his unit as a "strategic advisor". He also introduces the audience to Finlay a stern faced man from Belfast Northern Ireland. Finlay lays into Ross with some stiff shots as well as some classic chain-wrestling. Ross fights back as best he can but it's not enough and he falls to a Tombstone Piledriver. With Finlay on his side, Debeers has a formidable new soldier in his campaign against the NWA.

The Commandos (Boone & Frazier) vs Radiance (Jimmy Del Ray & Chic Donavon)

It's Radiance's first match since ending their relationship with Sherri Martel and while they work together as well as ever, there's clearly something off. The cocky duo use every dirty trick they know but the Commandos just barge right through anything that's thrown at them. Eventually they run out of tricks and Donavon is flattened by a Frazier legdrop. As a dejected Radiance make their way to the back, their confronted by a beautiful blonde who hands them a business card before departing.

"Hangman" Bobby Jaggers vs "Maniac" Matt Borne w/"Number One" Paul Jones

The veteran Jaggers put up quite the fight but Borne just kept coming. The Maniac kept cranking up the violence until he was able to land a nasty looking Piledriver for the win.

"The Haitian Sensation" Tyree Pride vs "Black Magic" Norman Smiley w/Ms Linda

A blistering battle of styles that saw Smiley struggle to ground the popular Haitian before finally slapping on the "Norman Conquest" for the submission victory. While the Debeers faction may have new blood in their ranks, Ms Linda's faction of The Commonwealth clearly remain a group to watch.

NWA World Television Title

Super Strong Machine(c) vs "Rotten" Ron Starr

The champ seemed to have something to prove as he tore into Star with a intensity not yet seen in his time in the NWA. While the journeyman challenger did what he could to mount a offense, he was completely overwhelmed by the champion who sealed the deal with the "Devil Windmill" suplex.

Rocky "Soul Man" Johnson vs The 4th Horseman w/JJ Dillon.

Johnson throws warm-up punches in the ring while the fans await the reveal of the latest Horsemen. Dillon walks out first, somehow looking even more smug than he usually does. With a flourish he holds the curtain open and a collective gasp is heard throughout the building as TERRY TAYLOR walks through with a equally arrogant look on his face. Taylor is decked out in a red & black robe with the word "Terrific" in gold across the back. As for the match itself, between Taylor's scientific wrestling ability, Johnson's athleticism and both men's ability to work a crowd, the result is a barnburner of a TV main event. Johnson gains the advantage and floors Taylor with a series of clotheslines. But in his excitement, he runs the ropes to close to JJ who reaches in and trips him. Taylor recovers and nails the staggering Johnson with a discus forearm to win his debut match as a member of the Four Horsemen.

image.png.eeaf6b922c30c073a08ff5ebca3ed53b.png

Taped at the Cumberland County Memorial Auditorium before Main Event.

Originally airing on 1/15/88 on the USA Network.

On Commentary: Bob Caudle & David Crockett

"World's Strongest Man" Bill Kazmaier defeats "Tough" Tony Falk with a running powerslam.

Black Bart defeats George South with the "Texas Trash Compactor"

The Stud Stable (Robert Fuller & Jimmy Golden) defeat Yin & Yang (Hase & Yamada in masks) with a Spike Piledriver on Yang(Hase)

Winner challenges for the NWA World Television Title on next week's Main Event.

The Great Kabuki w/"Number One" Paul Jones defeats "British Magician" Steve Wright when a distraction by Jones lead to the "Asain Mist"/Thrust kick combo.

In other news....

Solie announces that on February 18th the NWA will hold it's first special event called Super brawl which will air live on the USA Network from the Boutwell Auditorium in Birmingham Alabama. Already signed for the event, Adrain Street & Bill Dundee have cashed in their rematch and will look to regain the NWA World Tag Team Titles from the Rock n Roll Express!

Speaking of the former tag champs, they cut a promo after their match. Street says he hopes the Express enjoy every moment they have with the tag titles because they'll be returning where they belong at SuperBrawl. Says that he & Dundee were caught by surprise last week but The Commonwealth never fall for the same trick twice. Dundee adds that while The Express may be "the dream of every silly little American girl, they don't remotely compare to the most beautiful wrestler in the business and a honest to God Superstar such as himself". Says February 18th is gonna be the night the music dies when he & Street take back THEIR Tag Team Titles.

We get another look at Ron Garvin with the closing graphic revealing that he makes his debut next week on Main Event!

An Alliance with Debeers, Foley and Finlay! This is going to get brutal! 

The Commandos get an impressive win but Radiance has an admirer. 

Borne beats Jaggers in a great match up. 

Smiley sends a message that Miss Linda has quite a stable as well. 

Bad timing for Starr because SSM was pissed! Paul Jones Army might've made a huge mistake. 

Terry Taylor is a Horsemen! I always thought he would've made a great Horsemen. Solid choice! He kicks things off with a big win over the Soul Man. 

Worldwide,

Kaz, Bart and The Stud Stable get in good showcases. 

Kabuki earns a shot at SSM but I hope they were watching on Saturday because that's what they're in for. 

SuperBrawl is born and we already have a rematch for the tag titles signed. Things are looking good. 

Really competitive cards this week with some big names squaring off on TV.

I really interested in the Debeers/Finley group.  I know very little of FInley except from his WCW/WWF days which wasn't until the late 90's.  He seems like a perfect fit for a big heel group here.

I also think Terry Taylor is a great choice for the 4th Horseman.  He was very good at playing the arrogant heel and should fit in perfectly.

Whenever a manager's wrestler goes down on TV, it was awesome!  Big win for Borne over Jaggers!

Nice build of SSM.  

Looking forward to the continues build to the big show in Birmingham

image.png.c78bd831dfc5f43abdbcf6d058f8c3be.png

NWA planning a shakeup to their supercard schedule going forward.

Those who were expecting the National Wrestling Alliance to announce the second addition of "St Valentine's Day Massacre" which debuted last year were surprised to see the event replaced with a new concept called SuperBrawl. We can now report this is the result of NWA leadership working with USA Network executives to "streamline" the NWA's content on the channel.

As such, instead of the holiday themed events that could take place on any day of the week and required the NWA to skip their usual weekly programming, the NWA will instead air all TV specials on Saturdays or Sundays with SuperBrawl being only the first of a series of planned new concepts that will make their debut throughout the year.

Another change being reported is that the NWA will move these events away from consisting entirely of title matches with some events featuring unique match types not seen before. Furthermore not every TV special will be main evented by the NWA World Heavyweight Championship, though the champion will likely be involved in some capacity, instead plans are for the United States Title and the World Tag Team Titles to occasionally be elevated to the main event spot. 

Note this streamlining does NOT extend to PPV's meaning that the Great American Bash & Starrcade will still air on Independence day & Thanksgiving respectfully.

image.png.84faaab15e6996e0e01f945f2762161e.png

NWA Live @ Sapp Recreation Center in Lumberton NC 1/17/88

The Moondogs (Rex & Spot) w/"Number One" Paul Jones defeat Two Local Talents with a Backbreaker/elbowdrop combination

Ranger Ross defeats Ron Slinker with a "Combat kick"

"Chief" Joe Lightfoot defeats Cocoa Samoa after a shot from his "War Club"

"World's Strongest Man" Bill Kazmaier defeats Zodiac with a running powerslam.

Tom "MegaMan" McGee defeats "Rotten" Ron Starr with a slingshot legdrop.

NWA World Tag Team Titles

The Rock n Roll Express (Ricky Morton & Robert Gibson)(c) defeat The Stud Stable (Robert Fuller & Jimmy Golden) with a double dropkick on Golden.

image.png.f9493b7b3ae46a5f6eeaeb7d099fabd2.png

NWA Live @ The Greensboro Coliseum in Greensboro NC 1/19/88

Abdullah the Butcher wins a 20 man battle royal last eliminating Manny Fernandez to challenge for the NWA United States Title in the main event.

"The Monster" Rip Morgan w/Jr Foley defeats "The Haitian Sensation" Tyree Pride with a chokeslam.

"The Candyman" Ray Candy defeats "Dandy" Don Bass with the "Chocolate Drop"

The South Pacific Connection (Siva Afi & Cocoa Samoa) defeat The Celestial Trinity (Jason the Terrible & Angel of Death) with a double headbutt on AoD.

Black Bart defeats "Hangman" Bobby Jaggers with the "Texas Trash Compactor"

"Raging Bull" Manny Fernandez defeats "Black Magic" Norman Smiley w/Ms Linda with the "Flying Burrito"

"Superstar" Bill Dundee w/Ms Linda vs David "Fit" Finlay w/Jr Foley went to a 20 minute time limit draw.

NWA United States Tag Team Titles

The New Breed (Chris Champion & Sean Royal)(c) defeat The Commandos (Boone & Frazier). All four men are brawling in the ring. The ref goes to escort Frazier out while Boone picks up Royal for a slam. Champion grabs one of the belts and clips Boone in the back of the knee. Boone falls with Royal landing on top and the ref counts three.

NWA United States Title

Bruiser Brody(c) vs Abdullah the Butcher w/"Number One" Paul Jones ends in a double DQ after the two beasts take turns shoving away the ref as he tried to breakup a fistfight in the corner. Security rushes the ring to separate the two but they get taken down by the rampaging monsters. Abby pulls a fork from somewhere and goes to stab Brody with it but the champ ducks and scores a big boot that sends Abby through the ropes. Abby wants back in but Jones stops in and, with some effort, is able to corral his client up the aisle leaving Brody standing tall in the ring to send the crowd home happy.

I like the Dirt Sheets info.  It seems Title Night is about to take over Dawn of War.

Nice job of giving the people of Lumberton, NC a great show with a huge main event.  Shows like this are what makes wrestling fans for life.  I went to a show in a small town called White Plains and saw Andre the Giant vs Sgt. Slaughter.  I was hooked.  I bet the Rock n Roll Express vs The Studd Stable did the same for some young boy in the Sapp Rec Center.

I am so used to seeing Brody vs Abbie end in a DQ but I don't think a title was ever on the line.  Nice twist!!

NWA is rolling as they give us two great shows and the Horsemem weren't even involved.  This could be a great promo next week as we here about their lavish vacation or Arn and Ole ripping the arms off of some townie.  Lol

Spot shows are a lot of fun.  Because of some good TV exposure, the Moondogs, Mega Man, Kaz and Lightfoot would be cool to see at a smaller venue. And then you get an RnR vs. Stud Stable main event. How could you not go home happy.

And now Greensboro, 

The night is off to a wild start with Abby winning the battle royal. Now the fans can look forward to an Abby/Brody main event. 

The big men Morgan and Candyman look strong with their wins. 

The SPC continue to remain a threat in the tag team mix. 

Bart has picked up some big wins of late.

The Raging Bull impresses by putting Smiley down with the flying burrito. 

Dundee and Finlay probably stole the show. What a match! 

New Breed find a way to retain over the massive Commandos. 

What a way to end the show as Abby and Brody go nuts. Brody gets in the last hit to stand tall. 

NWA... really liked the Brody and Abby stuff. Their real life feud gives us some imaging of what it would look like here when they hook up. Greensboro was definitely in for a treat with this card. Part of me want to see where Manny ends up here... and how great he and Brody in a big time spot could be. I love the battle royal to set up the main event... old school and awesome. Also going back... TT as the 4th horsemen... makes sense... he fits the bill... one has to wonder if he can hold the mustard and with opponents like Rocky Johnson... we're going to find that out quickly!

image.png.aa12f3521493f85d958482e5d6f99696.png

From the Asheville Civic Center in Asheville NC.

Previously recorded & airing on 1/21/88 on the USA Network.

Ring announcer/interview: Sean Moony

Match #1

"World's Strongest Man" Bill Kazmaier vs Black Bart

Bart cheated his way to a win in Kazmaier's debut match and the Canadian strongman was looking to right the wrong. Once again Kaz wows the crowd by muscling the the massive Bart up with a series of slams and suplexs. The finish sees Kaz get the big Outlaw in a bearhug. Kazmaier squeezes for all he's worth but Bart boxes his ears breaking the hold and Bart stumbles to the corner where his bullrope is hung. Kaz looks to go in after him but the ref tries to intervine. Kaz shoves the ref out of the way and grabs a hold of Bart who turns around and hits him in the head with the bullrope. Ref turns around to see Bart make the cover and just like that, Bart gets a second tainted win over the Canadian strongman.

(The South Pacific Connection joins Moony at ringside before their match. They announce that at SuperBrawl they'll challenge the New Breed for the NWA United States Tag Team Titles. They say that while the New Breed may be the future, but the SPC is the here and now and come SuperBrawl the belts are coming to the islands)

Match #2

The South Pacific Connection (Siva Afi & Cocoa Samoa) defeat The Carolina Reapers with a double headbutt on Reaper#2

*We're shown a VTR which starts with a sweeping shot of a sunny beach before landing on the Four Horsemen sitting at a outdoor beach with various colorful drinks on the counter behind them*

TT: Now this is the life! Nothing like a trip to Jamaica with your closest friends to get away from all the annoying little people back in the states. Only one week in & becoming a Horsemen is already the best decision I've ever made.

TB: Terry my friend this is just the beginning! When you're a Horsemen you stand above everyone else in this entire industry. You part of an elite corp that doesn't waste are time in one horse towns like (looks like he just tasted something foul) Lumberton North Carolina.

TT: Lumberton? Never heard of it. Anything worth doing there?

AA: The only thing worth seeing in a city like that is Ole tearing the arm off some drunk redneck in the crowd.

OA: Hey, that's one of my favorite past times you're talking about.

JJ: Ole we discussed this remember? The lawsuit would've been more trouble than it was worth just so you can beat up some yahoo cracker in the Carolina backwoods. As funny as it would be to watch.

OA: (not sounding to happy about it) yeah, yeah I know. You're right.

TB: Hey come on Ole, we're surrounded by sun, sand and beautiful women. No need to get all sore.

OA: Ah your right Tully. It could be worse, I could be one of the nine-to-five'rs watching this on their couch next to the heffer they call a wife.

(Everyone bursts out laughing before JJ rises with his drink in hand)

JJ: Gentlemen, a toast. To the Horsemen.

Everyone: TO THE HORSEMEN!

Match #3

"The Pitbull" Kerry Brown vs "Tough" Tony Falk with a Piledriver.

Match #4

The Debuting "Rugged" Ron Garvin vs "Rotten" Ron Starr

The fans are given quite the first impression as Garvin shows his range as a competitor. Whether it's brawling or grappling he gets the best of the best of the well-traveled Starr. Though the Rotten one struggles fiercely, he ultimately falls to the "Hands of Stone" punch. Garvin is celebrating his successful debut when to the surprise of everyone, Jimmy Del Ray & Chic Donavon charge the ring and jump him from behind! They put the boots to him before being tackled by security and taken away to a chorus of boos. What the hell was that about?

Sean Mooney: Ladies & Gentlemen, my guests at this time will be in the main event of SuperBrawl. Please welcome your new NWA World Tag Team Champions, Ricky Morton & Robert Gibson, The Rock n Roll Express!

*Huge pop as the tag champs come to the ring high-fiving fans as they do*

SM: Well gentlemen, you shocked the world two weeks ago when you won the World Tag Team Titles in your debut match. After such a exciting entrance, what can we expect going forward?

RM: Well Sean, first Robert and I want to thank the NWA locker room and especially the NWA fans who've been so welcoming to us. Robert & myself have been traveling all across this great nation facing the greatest teams this business had to offer, all in our quest to prove that we're the best tag team on God's green earth. And everybody agrees if you want to be the best, if you wanna face the best you gotta come to the National Wrestling Alliance. And when we heard that Street & Dundee were welcoming all challengers, we took that as a sign that our time was now.

RG: That's exactly right and before we climb on this ring and prove why we are the best tag team going today, I want to say one final thing. Adrian Street, Bill Dundee we heard what y'all said on Worldwide last week. February 18th is gonna be the night the music dies? Well I got some bad news for you boys. Rock n Roll ain't never gonna die and you're gonna find that out the hard way come SuperBrawl.

Match #5

Non title

NWA World Tag Team champions The Rock n Roll Express (Ricky Morton & Robert Gibson) defeat Slash & Burn with a double dropkick on Burn.

*After the match, Ms Linda leads Adrian Street & Bill Dundee to the ring. The former champs start talking trash to the men who took their belts. It looks like things could get physical but security get between them and the two teams eventually leave without issue*

Match #6

"The Monster" Rip Morgan w/JR Foley defeats Dos Hombres (Hombre Uno & Hombre Dos) by chokeslaming Dos on top of Uno and pinning them both.

Main event. NWA World Television Title.

Super Strong Machine(c) vs The Great Kabuki w/"Number One" Paul Jones

SSM is all over his challenger as soon as the bell rings. He batters Kabuki with chips, forearms and suplexs before a distraction by Jones allows his client to take control. Kabuki works SSM over with stiff martial arts strikes including some kicks that actually have some in the audience wincing from impact. After several minutes of this the champion manages to fire up and gets Kabuki in position for the "Devi Windmill" suplex but as he's going for the cover, Jones summons Matt Borne & Abdullah the Butcher from the back who pounce on the masked man. A 3-1 beatdown ensues until Keiichi Yamada & Hiroshi Hase run down with chairs causing Jones to order a retreat. Yamada & Hase help SSM to his feet before bowing respectfully. Looks like the TV champ has found reinforcements in his war against the Paul Jones Army.

(As you can see I'm experimenting with the format, let me know what you think) 

image.png.e132fa23cb9becd1b390cd5b982d44cd.png

Taped at the Asheville Civic Center before NWA Main Event.

Originally airing on 1/22/88 on the USA Network.

On Commentary: Bob Caudle & David Crockett

"The Haitian Sensation" Tyree Pride defeats Bart Sawyer with a flying bodypress.

Brad Anderson defeats "Stray Cat" Brodie Chase with a Fujiwara armbar.

Ranger Ross defeats Tom Brandi with the "Combat Kick"

Main event. Winner challenges for the NWA World Television Title on next week's Main Event.

"Tennessee Stud" Ron Fuller defeats Mark Youngblood with the "Fuller Leglock"

In other news....

Commentary announce that next week on Main Event, Radiance will be interviewed by Sean Moony regarding their unprovoked attack on Ron Garvin.