Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - February 16/18 2022

MoS

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, strobogo said:

Keith Lee, Wardlow in the ladder match, Hobbs in a qualifier, would be pretty rad if they do a hoss battle ladder match. I'm not really sure what other big meaty men are on the roster off the top of my head, but they should just put them all in there.

Butcher

Not a fan of that finish. Also not a fan of doing leg work the whole match but Sammy still hit all of his jumpy, flippy, and knee strike based offense anyway. That's not really a criticism of Sammy as much as the idea of what psychology is in most of wrestling. People don't have the courage to not do their signature spots. 

6 hours ago, strobogo said:

Not a fan of that finish. Also not a fan of doing leg work the whole match but Sammy still hit all of his jumpy, flippy, and knee strike based offense anyway. That's not really a criticism of Sammy as much as the idea of what psychology is in most of wrestling. People don't have the courage to not do their signature spots. 

This is 100% true and something that annoys me a lot when watching current wrestling. I didn't mind it in this particular Darby/Sammy match because Guevara sold the bad knee well enough to get invested in his struggle to do his spots and capitalize on them, but yeah, totally agree with the overall take.

Anyway, great fucking Dynamite again. I'm a guy who cherrypicks, but this time I was surprised because I wanted to watch almost the whole show. Almost every single match/segment was worth watching.

Amazing promo by Punk, nuff said.

Really good Bryan/Moriarty match + awesome Moxley promo, nuff said. No offense to Hangman because he's doing great, but this honestly feels like it should be the world title picture.

Cool Wardlow performance. Guy's getting more and more over with time. Shades of early 2005 Batista. Don't think he's gonna get that far but hey, at least his rupture with MJF will be pretty cool to watch.

Neat Baker and Mercedes segment, setting up the post-match angle after Rosa/Mercedes. I love things like that in weekly tv wrestling, everything feels much more cohesive. There also was a neat Keith Lee backstage minipromo that I liked.

I liked the Hangman-Cole stuff. Really liked Cole bullying Schiavone, it's a cool character trait that helps him to get heat from the type of crowd that always cheers for him even if he's heel. I'm not really interested in their match together, because Cole has proven to be a horrible main event guy, but Hangman delivers match after match, so I trust him enough. The promo was good enough (had two really great promos to match earlier in this very show, though), and I... kinda like the Bucks-reDragon-Cole storyline???? I normally hate Elite melodrama, but when Omega's not in it is far more digestible (this will age bad because he'll come back to have the anticipated tríos match sooner than later, but whatever). Maybe I liked it here because they linked it to the qualifyers for the Tag Team Titles, I'm interested in that. Also, wtf with Dark Order's 10?

Didn't watch the match because c'mon, but PnP going over against Jericho was definitely the right call. Really liked Eddie's return, and he should defeat Jericho clean 100%.

Rosa/Mercedes was good for what it was, they gave them only 10 minutes but for a No DQ match that went straight to the point, it felt right. They destroyed each other, and the next champ won. Wrestling's simplicity works pretty well most of the times. I liked Mercedes not wanting to attack Rosa after the match, and DMD's squad ruining everything. Baker should drop the title at Revolution, her work is done. This is womens division done right and I'm so glad.

Don't care for Malakai Black's stuff since Cody buried him. He should be out there killing everyone and giving Hangman a run for his money, or dominating the TNT scene, not being wannabe Bray Wyatt. Let's see if the tag team next week changes things.

Guevara/Allin was pretty fucking cool, as always. These two should have the rivalry of their generation and main event sold out shows in their mid 30s. Really interested in seeing what Andrade can do with both of them, a Triple Threat match for Revolution sounds crazy and I would be totally on board for it.

15 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

This is 100% true and something that annoys me a lot when watching current wrestling. I didn't mind it in this particular Darby/Sammy match because Guevara sold the bad knee well enough to get invested in his struggle to do his spots and capitalize on them, but yeah, totally agree with the overall take.

It's one of my biggest pet peeves in wrestling today, although it's been prevalent since at least the 50s and by many of the greats in all eras. If you're going to have a match structured around limb work to prevent key moves from being done, at least have the tact to do modified versions. You don't have to do your spots or signature moves in every match. It's okay to use random moves that you might never use again when it makes more sense in the match you're working than doing your big move but wincing or limping before/during/after. Dudes want to get so creative with moves and sequences but not structure.