Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV March 2/4 2022

MoS

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This triple threat on Rampage was certainly something, and very selfishly, I want @Matt D and the Segunda Caida boys to break it down. There were soo many highly co-operative spots but (a) they were actually over, which old-school wrestlers would argue is the only important thing; and (b) the wrestlers also tried hard to shine individually and make a big name......for themselves, not the match. But it made the match hotter and got the crowd going more! So like, what have we become here? What should we prioritise? What should be our goal: to have an internal consistency and in-match narrative, or just do whatever the fans want because let us face it, we are in the "consumer is always right!!" industry??

In thinking of all that, what, truly, is good psychology?

I really can't answer this cuz my mind starts spinning just trying to grasp the essence of this point lol. 

PENTA really is so fucking charismatic on his own. Genuinely, separate him from Fenix. They are both awesome in extremely different ways, they should not be saddled with each other really. Let them both go out and be themselves!

Don't give a shit how fat Lee is, he is so charismatic, such an effortless superstar, Incredible Hulk come to life. He can be fucking 500 pounds for all I care, he has to be champ in the next year, there really is no one at his level

It's genuinely, not a joke, just incredible how EVERY SINGLE women's segment is booked the exact same. Coach Tony K really needs to apply his mind more while booking this division cuz this is just weekly interchangeable crap 

45 minutes ago, MoS said:

There were soo many highly co-operative spots but (a) they were actually over, which old-school wrestlers would argue is the only important thing; and (b) the wrestlers also tried hard to shine individually and make a big name......for themselves, not the match. But it made the match hotter and got the crowd going more! So like, what have we become here? What should we prioritise? What should be our goal: to have an internal consistency and in-match narrative, or just do whatever the fans want because let us face it, we are in the "consumer is always right!!" industry??

I really can't answer this cuz my mind starts spinning just trying to grasp the essence of this point lol. 

I've said it for a while now that pro-wrestling "psychology" viewed only as an inner narrative that "makes sense" (that term being loosely applied on many, MANY elements that actually don't even on a very widely accepted pro-wrestling sense) in the context of a match is completely flawed and has misled people for a long while now, ignoring a lot of stuff that actually plays a part in pro-wrestling psychology, form and pacing (aka moves, and their quality of execution) being one of them, always in relationship to an audience and a context. Took me a long time to realize this and unlearn lot of stuff I thought I knew (I mean, I would be so embarrassed of MANY of my old posts about some of my current all-time favorites :lol:). But yeah, tremendous match.

21 minutes ago, MoS said:

It's genuinely, not a joke, just incredible how EVERY SINGLE women's segment is booked the exact same. Coach Tony K really needs to apply his mind more while booking this division cuz this is just weekly interchangeable crap 

Honestly at this point I view it as a running joke, as a mechanism defense. When I see how IMPACT's women are booked, it's day and night. 

47 minutes ago, MoS said:

PENTA really is so fucking charismatic on his own. Genuinely, separate him from Fenix. They are both awesome in extremely different ways, they should not be saddled with each other really. Let them both go out and be themselves!

Yeah, they really could get strong singles run. I wanna see Dark Fénix again. :( Just put Melissa Santos on TV so we can get the end of that storyline. She's the real talent of the couple anyway. The issue is that there's way too many talented people already on that roster. Just not enough time, it's crazy.

3 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Wasn't Kenny the one booking the women's division? That was supposedly part of the heat Brandi had since she didn't agree with it.

I wonder how much of that was an overstatement though, as Brandi really did not had that kind of power (plus the fact Brandi had to be blamed about everything, all the time). I believe he was more agenting, as the booking per say is pretty obviously TK anyway. He probably isn't doing shit right now apart from rehabbing. 

I dunno, it seemed when AEW launched the idea was for Brandi to be if not the top woman star she was at least in the mix. Then the fans didn't really get in to her and then Britt caught fire, and all bets were off. That led to the disastrous Evil Brandi stuff that landed with a thud, and she was trying to start a program with Jade before she got pregnant. 

I don't doubt she got blamed for stuff she had nothing to do with, but it wasn't like there weren't any fires amidst all that smoke.

26 minutes ago, El-P said:

I've said it for a while now that pro-wrestling "psychology" viewed only as an inner narrative that "makes sense" (that term being loosely applied on many, MANY elements that actually don't even on a very widely accepted pro-wrestling sense) in the context of a match is completely flawed and has misled people for a long while now, ignoring a lot of stuff that actually plays a part in pro-wrestling psychology, form and pacing (aka moves, and their quality of execution) being one of them, always in relationship to an audience and a context. Took me a long time to realize this and unlearn lot of stuff I thought I knew (I mean, I would be so embarrassed of MANY of my old posts about some of my current all-time favorites :lol:). But yeah, tremendous match.

I am actually seriously looking forward to your most-modern thesis that our view of internal narrative and psychology is all misplaced; we should call be solely concerned with "pop the crowd". I know when you articulate it, it will be an excellent point, and as someone who disagrees completely with the point, I really want to read it and learn whatever I can - before I say that is all crap, everyone should still maintain internal consistency :P 

55 minutes ago, MoS said:

I am actually seriously looking forward to your most-modern thesis that our view of internal narrative and psychology is all misplaced; we should call be solely concerned with "pop the crowd". I know when you articulate it, it will be an excellent point, and as someone who disagrees completely with the point, I really want to read it and learn whatever I can - before I say that is all crap, everyone should still maintain internal consistency :P 

Well, you can't disagree with something that hasn't been exposed yet. B) The issue is that quite honestly, I believe pro-wrestling is at the same time infinitely simple (the old quote about luchadors doing nothing that the 90 years old uneducated grandma would not understand) and way more complex (and rich, which is probably why it's so fun) than it's actually usually thought of, including in the most obscure part of our geeky Internet fandom niche. It's not just about the idea that pro-wrestling psychology is more than an inner-match narrative (which is it also, of course), but also that what sometimes passes for "great psychology" actually is something else. If I ever was to develop an entire theory about it, I would need to use some concepts from aesthetic criticism, which I'm not overly familiar nor very at ease with, although very much interested in (in many more ways than one), and quite a bit of sociology, especially the field theory (of the one and only Pierre Bourdieu), plus I guess some semiotics.

Considering how much of a lazy fuck am I, I've quite often been thinking about all of these things these last few years (= way too many time on my hands), but the odds of me actually trying to articulate in details what I mean by all that is probably not that high (well, especially since whenever I think about those kind of "conceptual", to use a big word, topics, I think about them in French, as my English level just isn't there, maybe on a reading level I would be ok but certainly not on a personal expression level). Not to mention it's always a work in progress. Not to mention also that there are parts of working I will *never* be able to get or grasp, for the simple reason I never did it, and whether we like to admit it or not, it does play a part in how we perceive the whole thing (doesn't mean we can't learn tons about it from the outside, but I will *always* know some stuff about teaching a language that someone who never did will never, ever know, for instance). 

2 hours ago, MoS said:

This triple threat on Rampage was certainly something, and very selfishly, I want @Matt D and the Segunda Caida boys to break it down. There were soo many highly co-operative spots but (a) they were actually over, which old-school wrestlers would argue is the only important thing; and (b) the wrestlers also tried hard to shine individually and make a big name......for themselves, not the match. But it made the match hotter and got the crowd going more! So like, what have we become here? What should we prioritise? What should be our goal: to have an internal consistency and in-match narrative, or just do whatever the fans want because let us face it, we are in the "consumer is always right!!" industry??

Maybe Monday. Honestly not sure how we're dealing with the PPV this week, if Eric will cover live as he used to do with WWF PPVs or Phil will be on a podcast after for the Ringer, or when I'll be even able to make it through the PPV to review, but normal Monday night/Tuesday morning Five Fingers of Death would be looking at

Danielson vs Daniels
The Darby three way
Jericho vs Kingston
Danielson vs Mox
The Darby six man tag
and Punk vs MJF

And that's a lot to cover.

My guess is that if we don't cover it this week, we'll do it some week where there's no Punk/Danielson/Kingston/Dustin or Darby match though. When we do cover it, though, and it was definitely worth covering, you'll get exactly the sort of review you want out of me. If that's something you're actually looking for, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Imo the most important things about wrestling psychology are pacing and emotion. I feel like a lot of discussion online for a long time now has been overly concerned with every single move, spot, sell, facial reaction having to make perfect sense and everything lead to the next thing. I would compare it to songs where the lyrics don't really make sense or mean anything, but the melody and rhythm are great. 

4 minutes ago, strobogo said:

I feel like a lot of discussion online for a long time now has been overly concerned with every single move, spot, sell, facial reaction having to make perfect sense and everything lead to the next thing. I would compare it to songs where the lyrics don't really make sense or mean anything, but the melody and rhythm are great. 

Totally agree.

Plus, like in music (among other things in life), accidents and dissonances are also part of what makes something great, and there's no "formula" to what a song should be, even a pop song.

BTW, I'm very surprised to see no bitching about Erik Redbeard. With all the talent already in the company, and all the guys available, do they really need to add Erik Redbeard to the roster ? At this point AEW has *too many* big guys already. Plus, there's always what it could lead to eventually... Nothing against the guy at all, but... really ?

Plus I gotta say, Alex Abrahantes looks like a guy doing a Vampiro in Lucha Underground cosplay (I mean, in the most literal sense). If you really wanna do Dark Penta, hire Catrina or Salina, someone evoking some Mexican bruja creepy shit, not a goofy hypeman dressed up for Halloween... 

In general, I like them bringing guys in for 1-2 shows instead of just hiring everyone under the sun. Having a guy like Redbeard in a pre-show grudge match six man because Fenix got injured is perfectly fine and switches things up a bit. He can do a single shot again in 2023 if he's around too. I'd be fine with that.