Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Revolution 2022

MoS

1 hour ago, Jmare007 said:

Unless he was lying, and there's no reason to believe he was, Omega isn't ready to come back in the short term so him showing up tonight was never going to happen. He was interviewed a couple of weeks ago by Meltzer and he said he still hadn't done the surgeries he wanted to have when he took this time off (pandemic screwed up the schedules). He's feeling better but he said he isn't coming back before those procedures and feeling 100%. DoN might make more sense but Tony could want him back to pop a rating for Dynamite in the summer.

Callis showing up on the Buy-In had me thinking otherwise, though. Even his repeated denials that Omega was in the building seemed like a tease of the opposite happening.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In the post show presser, TK said he plans to keep ROH running as a promotion and from how he described it probably as a developmental one. 

Also Punk saying he knew ROH would end up being owned by either TK or Vince and he's happy Tony got it because ROH deserved better than to be a section on a poorly designed app :lol:

EDDIE KINGSTON VS JERICHO RULED SO MUCH HOLY SHIT!

Yes I'm back for my quarterly freak out as scheduled.

Holy shit that ruled. God Bless Eddie Kingston, God Bless the run that man is having on national TV in 2022, against all possible odds. There is nobody more believable in wrestling. I haven't been watching TV so I have absolutely no idea what this feud is about, no idea if Jericho is supposed to be a heel now, no idea what the Inner Circle stuff is. But I watch Eddie Kingston stomp out to the ring staring death at someone and I KNOW that he hates this man with a thousand sun fire and has to destroy him in his soul. It takes an instant to get this man.

And the fucking open!! Dropped him on his fucking HEAD! When I tell you I YELPED in my kitchen. Christ some of the bumps these guys both took on their heads were sickening.

And listen. I have not cared a single fuck about Jericho in years, but full credit to him he was FANTASTIC in this. He worked Eddie's style of match and brought it and laid it all in and made it all pop. That's easily the best Jericho performance - and Jericho match - in years and years, surely. Possibly in a decade. What even was his last great WWE match?

Just look at that moment with Aubrey Edwards. Jericho was so good during this match that people were actually cheering him and booing Eddie by the end of it! Booing Eddie!! So he confects this little temper tantrum with the ref and puts his hands on her - not enough to be gross but just enough to offend the crowd and remind them that while he may be fighting his ass off, in this match he is still the bad guy. That REALLY took the whole thing to another level because it reset the crowd to rally completely behind Eddie just in time for his comeback.

I fucking bought that backfist nearfall too. I bought a lot of those nearfalls. That backfist one in particular was great because we, along with Eddie, had that split second of "hey he's going to win!" followed by the inevitable, "Oh, right, Eddie Kingston never gets to win a big match..." and at the exact moment you think that watching it, you can see the same thought all over Eddie's face. It was like a double nearfall, because after the kickout I was totally convinced Eddie would lose again. Which in turn made his eventual win so much more impactful. I was SCREAMING. And again, Eddie selling it like he was struck dumb by the idea that he had actually won this time, for real... brilliant. Give this man everything on earth.

Also, Eddie Kingston getting SUPLEXED TO THE FLOOR and selling it like his heart exploded in his chest was the coolest thing I've ever seen.

Fuck that ruled.

I could care less about the Elite, but I watched the tag match while I typed all that, and it was a fun spotfest. I would die for Jungle Boy, and I see people down on Luchasaurus, but I'd much rather watch him than all four heels in this. They have a good thing going, Jungle Boy works the whole match, and a literal dinosaur comes in to do stupid big man highspots. It works. Having said that, without context I still found it odd that they retained and one of the heel teams didn't steal the titles from the other. The champs felt like an afterthought.

Ladder match was another stupid ridiculous fun spotfest. Orange is the fucking best, I'll never tire of him doing his thing. The thing he did on the ladder bridge was amazing. And all the big meaty men slapping meat stuff in this ruled too. So many fucking absurd bumps and spots. There were a couple times where time seemed to stop while someone set up furniture for the next highspot (Christian standing around in the ring alone for about 10 mins after the stage spot was the worst example, he could have won about 50 times over in that time). The final powerbomb Starks took on the ladder was DISGUSTINGLY FERAL. Yikes.

Jade Cargill took me on a WILD RIDE. The big PPV entrance. Starting a match with sexual assault. (I assume/hope beyond hope that it was an allusion to the character she was dressed as that I didn't understand.) Busting out a frogsplash. But I actually liked what they did here a lot, they kept up such a fast pace that they never let the crowd fall into a lull after coming down from two crazy spotfests. Jade should never lose.

M
I
S
E
R
I
A

C
A
N
T
A
R
E

!!!!!

MISERIA FUCKING CANTARE. TAKE ME NOW LORD I AM READY.

Since this is Punk's Punk tribute feud I've been daring to hope that this was a real possibility. You don't understand dudes. I was a 13 year old girl when Sing the Sorrow came out. Miseria Cantare is my motherfucking JAM. When I first heard about CM Punk I thought coming out to this song sounded like the coolest shit in the world. I never actually watched ROH so I never saw his entrance. I saw AFI at a festival once but they didn't play the fucking song and I was so bummed. So a wrestling entrance is the closest I'm probably ever going to get to seeing it live. And thank the fucking heavens that AEW is the land of wish fulfillment because MISERIA CANTARE. INCINERATE!

I should probably watch the match too.

Yeah that was fucking GNARLY. Punk has surely overtaken whoever it previously was as the Best Bleeder in Wrestling. This was just a picture perfect blow off, exactly what it needed to be. Glorious revenge babyface Punk is a good Punk. They've been slowly building to that Wardlow moment for ages, and I like how it came just after Wardlow won the ladder match and he knew for sure he didn't need to put up with Max's shit ever again. It's also the perfect way to redirect MJF after losing to Punk.

Anthony Khan old mate, we need to talk about the women. One thing that unfortunately hasn't changed in AEW is the women always being stuck in a bad spot on PPV. They use PPV matches to build to more TV more often than not it seems. They really need to do better. The Lights Out match was about 12 months ago now, if I remember right, and it feels like exactly NOTHING has happened or progressed to get us to this match, which should in theory be a huge PPV grudge match for the title. It just isn't treated like it. And what's worse, what happens is the exact same, tired, disappointing "Baker retains after a bunch of interference" finish. Rosa looked stupid as fuck here falling to the same old shit. It will look good when Thunder Rosa (presumably) wins the belt on TV in Texas, but at this point it will feel more like "Thank God Baker finally dropped the title" and not like the cathartic coronation of Thunder Rosa after a meaningful chase. And it doesn't excuse the entire women's division basically flatlining for 50 out of 52 weeks of the year. Do better.

Bryan/Mox was good but frankly William Regal coming out like a pissed off dad to bonk their heads together was far more cool and badass than anything in the actual match, save perhaps for Mox SHOOT DRAWING BLOOD scratching up Bryan's back. Filthy.

I worked a night shift and was holding out on no sleep,  but as soon as Adam Cole came out I was out like a fucking light.

I caught up and I thought they did well to keep the crowd involved after such an exhausting show, even if it was in the "your turn my turn" ironic chanting style. But the match itself was the usual Adam Cole your turn, my turn blur anyway. What does anyone see in that guy? I would die for that cowboy though. Hangman desperately needs a major angle. Ever since he won the belt he's felt like the 6th most interesting thing happening at best. I had absolutely no interest in this match going in. But it was fun enough and the finish was good, and it didn't super feel like it outstayed its welcome.

12 hours ago, C.S. said:

I'm surprised he's getting to use the William Regal name. I thought for sure WWE would have that locked down.

Glancing at his Wiki page, looks like Darren Matthews has been using “Regal” since before joining WCW.  Why he isn’t reverting back to “Steven” after all these years, as “William” was just the WWF/WWE gimmick first name (probably to ward of the stench of the MAN’S MAN gimmick) is a question to ask though. ;)

OE:  AHHH!  Never mind, looks like William was a gimmick middle name and for some reason it got reversed for Regal’s return back in 2000.

holy shit why are people talking about the aftermatch of Dragon-Mox more than the match itself? Like Regal is great but this match was so fucking violent and just so good. They beat the shit out of each other and it never felt inorganic. Just incredible stuff 

So, I will be totally biased, but Hangman carried the main event. Hell, I know it is unfair cuz there were mixed reactions cuz some people were chanting for Cole. But he just does nothing for me, and Hangman for me is an excellent babyface world champ. 

It must aslo be said that literally all his defences have either been classics or just excellently good like this, and he plays a big role in it. Put some respect on his name. 

Overall, think this might be the best PPV in AEW history. This is not a compliment, cuz AEW are not a PPV company - they have often felt like an enthu indie TV promotion that did not exactly understand how to put on and structure PPVs. But they have been improving here, especially after Punk and Danielson came on the scene, and they did a fantastic job yesterday, even with some disappointments. Really, if Coach Tony K manages to get his women's booking in order, the momentum might become genuinely unstoppable. 

what pushes it over the edge is honestly the Sting Darby trios match. This is legitimately, with zero exaggeration, the best run in Sting's entire career. Trumps the Surfer, trumps the Crow, and trumps whatever Joker shit he did in TNA. He and Darby should honestly be tag team champs at this point. 

Fucking great show with Britt/Rosa being the only real dud, I thought. Baker is in danger of being overshadowed by Cargill at this point, what a star she is.

I loved what they did with the Buy-In this time around and basically made it a mini-Rampage, complete with HOOK squash and hot main event. But, the main show just had everything you could ever want; The Dog Collar match, WILLIAM FUCKING REGAL, Sting as AEWs Terry Funk, Kingston winning the big one, Jungle Boy just casually unleashing about 5 different lunatic spots, Jade Cargill as a Mortal Kombat ninja, Wardlow turning face, Keith Lee throwing a man into the sky, Hangman Page getting a good main event out of Adam Cole and Swerve Strickland being the coolest fucker alive. And now we have Jeff Hardy on the way, complete with ROH becoming AEW-adjacent and the Mox/Bryan tag team is a reality. The sky is the limit with this company, it really is.

2 hours ago, MoS said:

holy shit why are people talking about the aftermatch of Dragon-Mox more than the match itself? Like Regal is great but this match was so fucking violent and just so good. They beat the shit out of each other and it never felt inorganic. Just incredible stuff 

I think it's because the crowd was mostly quiet, or rather, not as energetic, for the match and woke up when Regal appeared. The match was great, but coming after Britt/Rosa hurt it in terms of crowd engagement. 

3 hours ago, SteveJRogers said:

Glancing at his Wiki page, looks like Darren Matthews has been using “Regal” since before joining WCW.  Why he isn’t reverting back to “Steven” after all these years, as “William” was just the WWF/WWE gimmick first name (probably to ward of the stench of the MAN’S MAN gimmick) is a question to ask though. ;)

OE:  AHHH!  Never mind, looks like William was a gimmick middle name and for some reason it got reversed for Regal’s return back in 2000.

When Regal returned in 2000, he was Steven William Regal the first week or two, and then just William Regal.

He's been Steven Regal everywhere, but only William Regal in WWE, so I'm surprised he's getting to keep the William name now.

I don't think anyone expected to see Regal in AEW, and if they did they weren't expecting it on the PPV. Of course it makes sense in hindsight since he's the only one storyline wise who's villainous enough to manage these two.  it also helps that he's one of those folks who seems to be universally loved by everyone, and that he spent the last several years being the stern Dad of NXT who was never undermined and was always seen as the final word.

2 hours ago, MoS said:

Couldn't agree more. People seemed weirdly lukewarm on that match, maybe because the crowd popped so much louder for the car crash stuff on the rest of the card? But it was MOTN for me, even above Punk-MJF, which was 95-percent perfect.

7 minutes ago, C.S. said:

I'd love to see Regal win the ROH World Title.

If PCO can do it, why not him?

Regal had neck surgery a couple years ago that ended his in ring career. I suppose he could have one of those miraculous recoveries from career ending injuries that wrestlers tend to have, but I wouldn't expect it. 

3 hours ago, sek69 said:

Regal had neck surgery a couple years ago that ended his in ring career. I suppose he could have one of those miraculous recoveries from career ending injuries that wrestlers tend to have, but I wouldn't expect it. 

Well, damn, I didn't realize that.

Definitely not a good idea to attempt an in-ring comeback, then, at his age.

6 hours ago, sek69 said:

Also Regal's biggest strength is behind the scenes, and Tony already said he would have a role there as well. This is probably going to end up being one of AEW's low key best gets just for that alone. 

100%

He's already on the website under coaches. 

I was gushing in the GWE Discord about this already but you've got Dustin Rhodes and William Regal to learn from now. Nevermind the still active talent. That's quite a thing! 

3 hours ago, C.S. said:

Well, damn, I didn't realize that.

Definitely not a good idea to attempt an in-ring comeback, then, at his age.

This is his neck