Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV 06/15 & 06/17 Wrestling news this week feels like Russo-era Nitro

KawadaSmile

23 minutes ago, Childs said:

The booking for this PPV is fucking awful.

I cannot believe it's next weekend.

The build for the last PPV was lackluster too, but it was great compared to this.

WTF is going on?

12 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Christian you got your boys in this match and did fuck all to help. Shameless, man.

WHAT A SWERRRRVE!!!

Christian is the GOAT now and forever, baby!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heel Christian is the right move and a perfect transition program for Jungle Boy out of tags. Good ending to a show that was really dire at times…but who the hell knows for the PPV. A month lead up is bad enough; with Omega, Danielson and Punk all on the shelf, they’re basically on plan D through F right now and it shows.

48 minutes ago, C.S. said:

I cannot believe it's next weekend.

The build for the last PPV was lackluster too, but it was great compared to this.

WTF is going on?

There's an honest to God chance we get an AEW-NJPW dream PPV with no Punk, no Danielson, no Omega, and no Okada. I know real life intervenes but that's absolutely unfathomable. Like, seriously, if you can't secure Okada for a late-June American PPV, don't fucking book a late-June date for the show. No one would have minded if they'd announced this show for October or whatever.

All that said, I thought this was a really strong episode of Dynamite. Not every segment hit--JAS leeching off of Moxley and Tanahashi was staggeringly unnecessary--but most of them did. Ospreay-Harwood was fantastic and basically enough to make it a thumbs-up show on its own.

I was sports entertained, although the bloom is off the rose with Wardlow. You've got to start putting him in real matches where he's doing surprising cool shit instead of just powerbombs. Ladder match had some real crazy stuff. Nick Jackson really carries the Bucks. Ospreay vs Dax was awesome.

Forbidden Door seems weird but I think it was always going to end up being a weird show based on the depth imbalance between the companies. It will  be some real shit if Okada and Bryan aren't on the show. Bryan is injured but ZSJ did challenge him for the show so I have to think that wouldn't have happened if Bryan wasn't going to be ready  by then. Okada skipping seems much weirder. There's still a week and a half to fill out the card and presumably half the show won't have any angles or storylines heading into it, so just putting cool matches together with what remains of each roster shouldn't be that hard. 

On the other hand, consider how NJ usually handles joint shows in Japan. Forbidden Door  could be eight six/eight man tags.

I’m assuming we’re getting Bucks vs FTR 3 at All Out to finish the trilogy. Hopefully FTR take it as reward for Dax Harwood being the outright best guy in the company at the moment. 

Does Sasha’s release give us our big All Out 2022 debut, I wonder?

Okada's going to have a new baby to deal with soon, same situation as Hangman last year.  Still kinda with Pete on this though, Okada & Tanahashi were the two guys the western NJPW fans really wanted to see there above all else.

Also, this Jeff Hardy thing feels more and more like TK acting as a fan rather than a promoter.  As a (former) Browns fan it reminds me a bit of Jimmy Haslam's fixation on Johnny Manziel...

17 minutes ago, funkdoc said:

Also, this Jeff Hardy thing feels more and more like TK acting as a fan rather than a promoter.  As a (former) Browns fan it reminds me a bit of Jimmy Haslam's fixation on Johnny Manziel...

Agreed. Seems like he saw the Bucks-Hardyz ladder match from 2017 and figured there was still juice left in the Hardyz that wasn't there.

I mostly liked the show tonight, outside of the Wardlow thing. Even the Jericho run-in was messy but presumably sets up a fun tag for Dynamite next week (Mox/Tana - Jericho/Sammy?) and set up a really batshit six man match for the PPV.

I’m chuckling (not outright LOLing) yet at anti-AEW WWE Stans acting like The Bucks just booked themselves for a run that breaks every record for longest title reign, or are in the process of gunning for whomever holds the current record for most various tag titles reigns when it’s probably going to be a run of the mill stop gap transitional run.

Yeah out of context it looks bad, but don’t act like this is the same carny bullshit as [insert your favorite back stage politician adding more unearned titles to the resume]!  

I mean it’s only a second reign, yeah it’s “historic” for the company, and depending on which promotions you want to count, another notch on their belt reigns tally board, but let’s not take this more seriously than it needs to be.

I'm ready for Christian to make Jungle Boy look like the next top face of the company. That's just how he rolls.

There's no good reason in my mind why The Hardyz should be AEW tag champs in 2022. Hell, they don't need to be around the title scene. Everyone knows the Hardy Boyz. They were over af during that big multi-man fuckfest months ago. We saw that they can be thrown in a main card PPV match with barely any build behind it.

Wardow powerbombs a hundred people and the crowd goes mild. Guess what ? Because the AEW audience is all about what followed :

Ospreay vs Dax was awesome. As expected. Ospreay vs Orange. Well, fuck me, this is the greatest match I did not know I wanted. 

I understand Tana can't cut a promo in English, but the JAS run-in felt way unecessary and made Tana kind of an after thought. Then again, Tay Tay Tay...

Baker's selling of Storm hip attack (which was WICKED in slow-mo) totally fooled me. Good match, and Tony Storm vs Thunder Rosa has to set a new bar. If I'm TK, I'm making everything possible to have some Stardom talent show up (since it's all the same parent company and Storm has a history there). Just picture KAIRI challenging the winner...

Bucks winning is absolutely the right move. They are the top stars, and whoever beats them (FTR ?) gets more out of it than beating Luchasaurus & Jungle Boy. Awesome match too, of course, and the Christian Cage turn was a great angle. You could feel it just before it happened it was the right moment. 

The booking of the PPV is hurt by injuries and bad timing issues, that's beyond their control. So sure, it's not the mega-joint PPV it could have been, but still, in the end it is slowly building toward something really cool.

Bucks winning was the right call in that context, but knowing that TK was gonna crown the Hardys, you can't help but feel it's gonna be a short reign.

I repeat, Team Taz should have won at DoN. Starks and Hobbs are working their asses off with not a lot of screen time, are more than ready to get actual titles, and are essentially AEW-made stars. Not giving them shit while wanting to crown broken down old men who ain't even wise enough to slow down and work around their limitatons is daft. 

Plus they seem to have broken up Lee and Swerve just for the sake of it.

44 minutes ago, El-P said:

Baker's selling of Storm hip attack (which was WICKED in slow-mo) totally fooled me. Good match, and Tony Storm vs Thunder Rosa has to set a new bar. If I'm TK, I'm making everything possible to have some Stardom talent show up (since it's all the same parent company and Storm has a history there). Just picture KAIRI challenging the winner...

The issue is that STARDOM has a show on the same day of Forbidden Door, which is probably why they have Thunder Rosa defending the title against Toni Storm instead. I did see though that AEW is working to have Thunder Rosa go defend her title at a Tokyo Joshi Pro event in the future.

6 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Do you guys think Dax should/will ever be a proper singles player? As in, actually get title shots and title reigns, instead of occasionally flying solo.

Depends of what he wants to do. He absolutely could. But does he *want* to do it ?  Watching him go with Ospreay, Dax in the G1 would rule so much.

32 minutes ago, strobogo said:

How much bigger than Shingo is Miro, because that sounds like an incredible match on paper to me. 

Now I want this match and I won't get it. :(

37 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Do you guys think Dax should/will ever be a proper singles player? As in, actually get title shots and title reigns, instead of occasionally flying solo.

He has given a bunch of interviews where he has said that he has no interest whatsoever in ever being a full time singles wrestler. He also claims he wants to retire very early. But who knows, I have heard a lot of guys say that and then they end up sticking around for a variety of reasons. At this point he seems pretty sincere about being a Tag Team wrestler exclusively.

It should be mentioned that NJPW didn't want AEW to announce any matches for the PPV until after Dominion. I guess now seeing they were belting up Jay it makes sense, but I wonder if TK knew that was going to happen before having Page do the I WANT OKADA promo. It did kinda fit his anxious millennial cowboy gimmick to be all "welp guess I'm just a dummy" last night, I have to think that wasn't originally part of the plan.

12 hours ago, Dav'oh said:

I'm all for vets teaching tomorrow's stars. It's why I think Nese is a good programme for Hook, in addition to Christian teaching JB how to slow down.

Big difference between Christian and Nese though.

Christian is one of the top stars from the Attitude Era (yes, I said it again) whereas Nese has been nowhere, done nothing, and can't teach anyone anything about being a star (WWE 205 Live purgatory does not count).

5 hours ago, C.S. said:

Big difference between Christian and Nese though.

True, Nese was never wrestling's best least-shit sixth wheel. Nese also has a wrestler's physique. Nese is not eligible for the age-pension. We could do this all day! ;)