Pro Wrestling Only

Is the empire crumbling before our eyes?

C.S.

Ratings sky rocketed this week (back to 1 million and .35 in dah demo). Meltzer attributes it to no NBA, no reality TV comp and no NHL.

34 minutes ago, Flyin' Brian said:

Depends on your definition of “too late”. AEW will continue on for as long as Tony Khan wants it to continue, even if it becomes an online only promotion on YouTube and Honor Club in the future. Who knows what the future of professional wrestling will look like if/when WWE is sold. If McMahon and family are no longer involved after that then it’s a whole new ballgame really. It’ll be interesting to see what happens if/when WWE completely becomes just a cog in a corporate machine instead of the primary focus of ownership. 

Brother, it was not a serious question. Just trying to follow that hilarious comp Dav made :lol:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 2/23/2023 at 5:03 PM, Jmare007 said:

Ratings sky rocketed this week (back to 1 million and .35 in dah demo). Meltzer attributes it to no NBA, no reality TV comp and no NHL.

Brother, it was not a serious question. Just trying to follow that hilarious comp Dav made :lol:

Yeah, I think the notion of any real competition between AEW and WWE was a pipe dream. Hopefully AEW can just focus on being the best promotion that it can be for as long as it can be. There’s no ‘war’ to be won and there really never was. 

I suppose I give AEW more of a cushion in general, but I don't think every major storyline getting derailed by injuries, suspensions, or attitude problems is talked about enough when the talk about the poor booking in 2022. 

Like....EVERY major storyline. All fucking year. One of the most snakebitten years for that I can ever remember in a company.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2023 at 9:28 AM, Jmare007 said:

Honest question, do we think Revolution is breaking 120k buys? I have a hard time picturing this doing better than Forbidden Door

The preliminary estimate in the latest Observer is around 133k buys. Pretty impressive number all things considered, especially with the handicap of being the day after the Jon Jones fight. It also reflects well on MJF as champion as it was basically a one-match card and I don't think too many people expected a title change going in.

133k buys (and potentially a bit higher, going by Meltz's analysis in the latest WON) is certainly a good number. Kudos to MJF, despite my reservations/issues with him. Shows that despite all the criticisms we all make of his work, he is still doing a good job as champ. His potential is so so so high; he is still so young. Hope he manages to fulfil it. 

CM Punk apparently just buried the fuck out of "Rocky" Mox, "stooge" Jericho, "liar" Meltzer, and AEW/Tony Khan's complete and utter lack of regard for wrestler safety.

I can't find this on Punk's Twitter or IG though, so who knows...

Update: Deleted Instagram story post?

Fr7tyMiWIAUV8Ax?format=jpg&name=medium

For what it's worth, the current Observer completely no‐sells the above IG story. However, it does mention a different Punk story. In it, Punk talked about reading Steve Keirn's book and being fascinated by the story of Keirn and Koko having a fight in the locker room. The next day, Lawler dragged them both into the office and they squashed it. Dave has made it abundantly clear that he would like to see Punk back in AEW, so the idea that he's part of a conspiracy to force Punk out is pretty daft.

The way I read it was that Mox wanted to get the first win several weeks before the PPV (likely on an episode of Dynamite) - which would legitimize his title reign and also falls in line with the Rocky III storyline where Clubber Lang gets the first victory and then Rocky trains and gets the big comeback win. This would also put them 1-1 against each other so you could ostensibly do a 3rd match down the line. Plus, if you're Mox, and you've put the company on your back multiple times, there might also be a feeling of, like, "Why again is Punk being pushed as a step higher when I'm just as important to the week-to-week TV?" I don't know the timeline, but I'm guessing this would've been a big summer angle, maybe 4-5 weeks before the PPV.

As Punk wasn't cleared yet, he felt pressured to come in and do the squash. Mox and TK were wrong to put that pressure on him, especially Tony Khan, but let's not pretend that wrestlers who had no business in the ring haven't done similar angles in the past (whether its Shawn Michaels gutting his way through WrestleMania XIV or Bret Hart putting on the charade of being able to do anything but stomp and punch in 2010 or, if I'm not mistaken, Steve Austin showing up to drop Stunners just a few months after SummerSlam 97' but still well before he could actually wrestle a match and I'm sure you long-time fans can rattle off all sorts of other examples of very-injured guys coming in to "do business").

CM Punk was absolutely justified in putting his own health first, but there's been times when wrestlers have made the other choice and I'm not necessarily surprised that Moxley may have felt like Punk was capable of doing this sort of angle, trusting him not to hurt him, and wanting to do what was "best for business." 

So, when Punk was finally cleared, he came in and they did the angle...and it went over like a fart in church because it felt really, really rushed. It deflated the hype of their PPV match and felt, even at the time, like Mox was getting the victory just to make things 1-1 at the PPV. 

What maybe disappoints me most about this is that, based on his appearance on Renee's podcast, I was under the impression that Mox and Punk were friends. This may have been why Mox felt comfortable asking him to come in, when he was still not cleared, to shoot an angle. Punk, meanwhile, might be thinking, "This fucking guy is supposed to be my friend, but now he's pressuring me into putting my recovery at risk and he's got the boss pressuring me too. Some friend." I dunno. Just kinda sucks to hear about another friendship-gone-bad when, at one point, there seemed to be mutual respect and good will.

As for his comments about Jericho, thanks for reminding us water is wet. Remember 25 years ago when people thought Kevin Nash was a cancer in the industry and that guys like Jericho who were being held down would, given the power, not play politics or be a stooge and then pro-wrestling would be this perfect meritocracy based on Bret Hart-level integrity? We were so, so wrong.

I mean yeah, even at the time a lot of people were criticizing Tony for going with Mox's idea. Sure, we didn't know they wanted to do it sooner and were rushing Punk back, but from late August and until Full Gear, there were a lot of chatter about Tony just going with whatever idea Mox and Jericho had, and how a lot of them were either bad or not worth doing and he just went with them anyway.

In this case is even worse because you were rushing your n°1 guy and couldn't come up with anything else once it was clear he wasn't getting back when you wanted??