Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV 10/26-10/28

sek69

AEW doing what they do best, rebounding from a bad show (and really now, Rampage last week was not good, with some legit hilariously cringe moment like Jade leaving the ring 5 seconds after saying she would take the show hostage and not leave). This Dynamite was pretty awesome, excellent matches after excellent matches, the MJF babyface turn in motion, Renee Paquette's influence apparently already showing with interview segments, the Elite vignette signaling their return while taking in account the "AEW Doom & Gloom" melancholic aspect that has been felt by the first days audience, Riho & Hayter killing it together (damn, Riho is so good, everytime she comes back it's like I forgot how actually good she is) with the right person winning, leading toward the Storm match with no bullshit. I love the banter between Taz & Schiavone during PiP too (I must say I do not miss JR one bit on the show, as he's being phased down apparently). Yep, great rebound.

- I'm surprised that everyone is so on-board with this MJF face turn. To me, his promo last night felt a bit like pandering at times ("I love you West Virginia...despite your shortcomings"). I dunno. Just feels like they rushed through the inner turmoil stuff when that's the most captivating part. The post above mentions The Rock in 98', but MJF last night seemed like The Rock in 2000 - fully-established babyface and mostly just testing catchphrases to see what the next tee-shirt design should be. Again, I'm not saying MJF shouldn't be a babyface, but it just seems a bit sudden and out-of-character for him this soon *and* while he's building a match towards another babyface. I would've kept this face turn on simmer until Full Gear, have him win clean there (or relatively), and then, on the next Dynamite, have his first challenger be a heel (and please not be Smart Mark Sterling or Jay Lethal). Maybe that's too obvious, but to me, that was the beauty of Austin (and The Rock) going from heel-to-face: they didn't change the character, they just changed the positioning. 

- Also, I know this won't be a popular note, but Renee is so damn good at what she does...but she looked like New Brood-era Matt Hardy last night. Call me old fashioned, but I want my commentators and interviewers and announcers to be dressed like real sportscasters. I know there are exceptions, but Renee shouldn't be one of them when, during her WWE run, she genuinely came across like she could co-anchor SportsCenter or be interviewing athletes at the Super Bowl, Stanley Cup, or World Series. Sean Mooney couldn't do that shit. Mean Gene? Nope. Not Cole or even JR either. But Renee had that quality. Maybe having the freedom of her wardrobe is a major plus for her and allows her to show her laidback, fun personality...but from a viewer's perspective, as the old adage goes, there should be a difference between how the fans in the crowd look and how the people on TV look. She looked like a fan. I miss the broadcaster that looked like she'd been grown in a lab by ESPN-sponsored scientists for maximum marketability and professionalism.

- I'm gonna go ahead and contradict myself. My first point was that MJF's face turn seems too rushed, but I'm gonna just go ahead and say I'd be perfectly fine if we skipped a few weeks and had Swerve as a major heel. Like, I don't need the turn on Keith Lee or even a feud between the two. Just give me Swerve being an asshole and guys like Darby or Starks or Wardlow trying to unsuccessfully shut him up. 

10 hours ago, DMJ said:

Maybe having the freedom of her wardrobe is a major plus for her and allows her to show her laidback, fun personality...but from a viewer's perspective, as the old adage goes, there should be a difference between how the fans in the crowd look and how the people on TV look. She looked like a fan.

Not to be mean with my fellow pro-wrestling fans crowd but... yeah, not really at all. :lol:

I thought she totally came off like a star and brought so much personality with little things, like the way she would react to the interviews, her body language and all. She very much needs to be what Gene was in WCW. As far as her wardrobe goes, on the contrary, let her do what the hell she wants with it, that totally goes along her personality and that's a plus.

Renee is awesome. Best in the world at what she does, really the best in that role since Gene Okerlund.

I think the MJF thing is a swerve. I think he teases going face, but then doubles down on his heel shtick. Not to draw the Rock comparisons into the ground, but that would be very appropriate, like Rock in 1998 during the brief time he was teased to be turning face, only to become the corporate champion. MJF's face run is inevitable, but he has a lot of juice left in his heel run yet. Once he turns face, it will be very difficult for him to turn back again I feel. 

2 minutes ago, MoS said:

I think the MJF thing is a swerve. I think he teases going face, but then doubles down on his heel shtick. Not to draw the Rock comparisons into the ground, but that would be very appropriate, like Rock in 1998 during the brief time he was teased to be turning face, only to become the corporate champion. MJF's face run is inevitable, but he has a lot of juice left in his heel run yet. Once he turns face, it will be very difficult for him to turn back again I feel. 

I am not sure, but I feel there's a good chance it's a fake turn. Although the crowd is really hot, and sometime you really need to read it and not miss the right timing. But I would not be shocked if after he wins the title, he straight up goes back to being a heel. Also, Mox is a babyface, Omega will be a HUGE babyface coming back, Danielson is a babyface. Jericho is probably used to build ROH for a while as a heel champ. There's no really strong heel left right now as far as the AEW World title scene goes. I'd love to see Miro come back in that role though. Also, hopefully Brody King is brought back sooner than later, he really got a raw deal with Black & Matthews wanting to leave.

They just did the fake face turn for both Luchasaurus and Daniel Garcia. 

I think Tony Khan doesn't like having a clear boundary between heels and faces judging from all the heel vs heel and face vs face matches and how the Death Triangle guys are more like tweeners. I know a lot of people don't believe you can pro wrestling without clear heels and faces, but I don't believe Tony Khan is one of those people. I think he likes his wrestlers to have shades of grey.

There was no clear face turn when Danielson joined the Blackpool Combat Club either, and he's not really the smiley babyface he used to be in the past, but not quite a heel anymore either.

That Swerve Strickland/Billy Gunn stuff made me die a little inside. It seems like no matter what you do, the US pro-wrestling mental landscape has been irremediably polluted by more than 20 years of shitty WWE TV in term of stupid backstage segments and angles. As much as I enjoy the more out there stuff like Lucha Underground actually killing people or the Undead Realm and Wrestler's House in IMPACT, this stuff is just completely cringe. Not the fault of Swerve, who actually came off creepy enough and will be a really good heel (already is), but the idea of him maiming Billy Gunn's hand is just dumb as fuck. Call the police and have him arrested. Anyway, this was SOOOOO WWE. Just, don't do this kinda shit in AEW.

And I have no idea what they are doing with poor Madison Rayne. My heart is sinking everytime she goes out there in complete silence, working mid matches and displaying exactly ZERO of what makes her such a fun performer. Newsflash : SHE IS A FUCKING HEEL, not a vanilla babyface doing a non-existent coach gimmick. She's such a fun promo & little details worker as a bitch heel. That's what she does. And I have to watch her never getting over and not getting any of her stuff out in this setting. It's infuriating, really. Great for her to get a position in AEW and hopefully helping people backstage (and really now, there have been a lot more good matches on TV lately, no idea if she's having an influence, pun intended, with that but nevertheless), but she can be such a fun TV character if you actually let her do what she can do best. What an awful miscast thus far.

On the more positive side, Matt Taven looked great against Wardlow, and maybe it's just him working against really good people lately, but I'm warming up to the work of the big guy. The Kingdom is such a well oiled heel group, if you want three people who are expert in stooging, feeding off the crowd/their opponents and each others, they are the ones. And they can absolutely cut promos too, especially Maria & Taven, and inside the ring they can fucking go against anyone (Mike Benett is actually a really solid worker). Great signings who can get over, work in pretty much any kind of setting against anyone and make the stuff look good, veterans who can also help develop younger talent. Just tons of upside to these three being there. Of course losing your first match is more than questionable, but they come in as a tag-team and losing to Wardlow really isn't that much of a big deal.

Oh, the Gates of Agony are still around I guess... damn... oh well... 

JR is giving me late Gordon Solie vibes. Which is both cool and, not so cool at times. Hope the guy is feeling good though. 

I'm honestly almost at the point of not bothering with Rampage anymore, I'm already watching it out of habit more than anything else, and most of the time lately I feel like I'm mostly wasting my time doing it (especially when I'm catching up with the product later on, as I often do). This kind of hot trash is exactly what could push me even more toward not giving a fuck anymore. That and more Gates of Agony matches I guess.